Help Cutting Down School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinstriped1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For background: cGPA:3.9, sGPA:3.9, MCAT:33(PS13,VR9,BS11), MA resident

Was hoping to narrow down this list (of 29) down to under 20 schools...

Albany
Albert Einstein
Brown University
BU
Creighton
Dartmouth
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra
Loyola
Northwestern University
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
School
St. Louis
Temple
Thomas Jefferson Univ.
U. South Carolina
University of Massachusetts
University of Miami
University of Rochester
University of Vermont
Vanderbilt University
Virginia Commonwealth U.
Wake Forest

Appreciate the help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Albany
Albert Einstein
Brown University
BU
Creighton
Dartmouth
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra
Loyola
Northwestern University
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
School
St. Louis
Temple
Thomas Jefferson Univ.
U. South Carolina
University of Miami
University of Rochester
University of Vermont
Vanderbilt University
Virginia Commonwealth U.
Wake Forest

Without knowing your ECs, it's hard to tell you what schools might not consider you a good fit for their mission. How many years of research have you done, and what evidence of productivity do you have (posters, presentations, publications) so as to appeal to the research-oriented schools on your list? How many years of hands-on service to those in need do you have that will appeal to the Jesuit schools and Rush. Do you have any CC coursework that Creighton might not care for? What strong state ties do you have to S Carolina?

Albany
Albert Einstein
Brown University
BU
Creighton
Dartmouth
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra
Loyola
Northwestern University
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
School
St. Louis
Temple
Thomas Jefferson Univ.
U. South Carolina
University of Miami
University of Rochester
University of Vermont
Vanderbilt University
Virginia Commonwealth U.
Wake Forest

Brown really likes their own, Dartmouth favors non - Trad (ave age is like 28). GW and Georgetown get 12,000 apps. S. Carolina OOS tuition is insane.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest

Albany
Albert Einstein
BU
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Hofstra
Loyola
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
VCU
Temple
Thomas Jefferson Univ.
University of Miami
University of Rochester
University of Vermont
Wake Forest

Hi pinstriped. While others have pointed out that there isn't enough info for us to judge the ease with which you would get into these various schools, I thought to instead encourage you to think about the various factors that would make your choice easier. Things like:
1) Does location matter to you? How much?
2) Cost and opportunities for financial aid if that is applicable
3) Does curriculum matter to you?

Looking through your list and thinking about your preferences and priorities will help make paring down your list easier.

Without knowing your ECs, it's hard to tell you what schools might not consider you a good fit for their mission. How many years of research have you done, and what evidence of productivity do you have (posters, presentations, publications) so as to appeal to the research-oriented schools on your list? How many years of hands-on service to those in need do you have that will appeal to the Jesuit schools and Rush. Do you have any CC coursework that Creighton might not care for? What strong state ties do you have to S Carolina?

I am semi- non trad (2 years working as a clinical research coordinator at university). Total 2 years of clinical research with direct patient care/contact, with 1 first author (under review), one other paper (non-first author), only internal presentations to university faculty. Other ECs are tied to community teaching. Moderate shadowing across several specialties (ER, Surgical, Primary Care, etc). Not sure what you mean by CC coursework for Creighton.

Thanks!

In that case, I have no CC coursework and no ties to S. Carolina so that will come off the list

If you can afford it, don't take out any. I know it's a pain but applying to more schools will clearly increase your chances of an acceptance.

For a quick update, here is my new cropped list...

Albany
Albert Einstein
BU
Dartmouth
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Hofstra
Loyola
NYMC
Quinnipiac
St. Louis
Temple
Thomas Jefferson Univ.
University of Miami
University of Rochester
University of Vermont
Vanderbilt University
Virginia Commonwealth U.
Wake Forest

# Reach schools = 4
# Target schools = 10
# Lower targets = 7

Considering taking out either Hofstra or Loyola (location), Umiami or GW (low interview rate), and potentially Wake.

Let me know what you guys think @Goro @FindMeOnTheLinks @Great White Buffalo @Catalystik

Hofstra is almost all PBL so keep that in mind when you are thinking about tossing it (could be good or bad, depends on you). Dartmouth is extremely particular; a great school but they prefer older non-trad and they are in the middle of nowhere (=many away rotations for exposure to different populations and QoL as a med student suffers from heavy undergrad focus without the recreational opportunities of a major city). For that reason I would also suggest dropping Dartmouth.

As a MA resident with your scores I'd consider adding Tufts. I'd also swap Vandy for Emory if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response.

Regarding Hofstra's PBL, I'm pretty neutral. I think I would be okay with Dartmouth's location, and although I am not a complete non-trad, I'm 23 and 2 years out of college so that may put me in that category...

Regarding tufts, I would consider applying there, but I've hear their students end up graduating with a lot of debt (~200k), but I will consider it due to their slight in state preference.

Finally, why would you switch Vandy for Emory? I've heard really good things about Vanderbilt so that's really my dream reach school...

Thanks!

I'd take out quinnipiac and NYMC because I didn't like what I saw at Quinn (personal bias) and NYMC doesn't make sense to me... I'd wait to see how Hofstra students match if you're on the cusp of keeping them. I have a feeling they're going to do quite well.

BU, Drexel, GW, and Jeff are a crapshoot because of all the apps that they get so I wouldn't bank on them even if your numbers make sense. They're great schools, but keep that in mind.

I agree with adding tufts, perhaps add case and USC if you want more reaches.

I'd take out quinnipiac and NYMC because I didn't like what I saw at Quinn (personal bias) and NYMC doesn't make sense to me... I'd wait to see how Hofstra students match if you're on the cusp of keeping them. I have a feeling they're going to do quite well.

BU, Drexel, GW, and Jeff are a crapshoot because of all the apps that they get so I wouldn't bank on them even if your numbers make sense. They're great schools, but keep that in mind.

I agree with adding tufts, perhaps add case and USC if you want more reaches.
Why did you dislike NYMC and Quinn? I'll hold out of Hofstra like you said, seems like a good idea.

As for the other schools you mentioned, I will take a look, any reason you suggest case and USC?

Why did you dislike NYMC and Quinn? I'll hold out of Hofstra like you said, seems like a good idea.

As for the other schools you mentioned, I will take a look, any reason you suggest case and USC?

I don't know much about NYMC but I didn't apply due to the location and hearsay.

Quinn is too new for me to be comfortable there and I didn't get good vibes during my interview day. I was ultimately rejected, probably because I didn't care during my interview.

Ski89 above liked the school so can likely give you good reasons for keeping them.

Case and usc are two schools that rejected me, but I liked their schools on paper.

Hofstra has a lot more research going on that many new schools and is connected to a huge hospital system which are things important to me.

Thanks for your response.

Regarding Hofstra's PBL, I'm pretty neutral. I think I would be okay with Dartmouth's location, and although I am not a complete non-trad, I'm 23 and 2 years out of college so that may put me in that category...

Regarding tufts, I would consider applying there, but I've hear their students end up graduating with a lot of debt (~200k), but I will consider it due to their slight in state preference.

Finally, why would you switch Vandy for Emory? I've heard really good things about Vanderbilt so that's really my dream reach school...

Thanks!

Vandy and Emory are both great schools in the south, in awesome cities, with a lot of resources. Your numbers are a little closer for Emory than Vandy (which has an average MCAT of 36). One thing to keep in mind with Vandy is that their pre-clinical curriculum is only 1 year followed by 10 months of required rotations with 6 months required research, whereas Emory gets 1.5 pre-clinical years and 12 months of rotations with 5 months of required research. That extra 6 months of time to learn pre-clinical material and study for Step 1 is huge in my book.

Tufts is in Boston so the cost of living is high and their tuition is a couple grand more than most private schools, but I imagine that the debt at Tufts would still be on par with the debt at BU or GW - which are also very expensive in terms of tuition and location.

NYMC was not my favorite when I interviewed either - I just did not see myself having a good experience there. You may end up feeling differently.

Reactions: 1 user
Vandy also doesn't have a secondary (or fee) unless you pass the screen. Might be worth the $36 if you like the school even if it's a reach.

Reactions: 1 users
Revised List!

Albany
Albert Einstein
BU
Dartmouth
Drexel
Hofstra
Quinnipiac
St. Louis
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
UMass
URochester
UVermont
Vanderbilt

Will add following if I have extra money:
EVMS
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
George Washington

Toss GW since statistically, it's harder to get into than Harvard.

Albany
Albert Einstein
BU
Dartmouth
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Hofstra
Loyola
NYMC
Quinnipiac
St. Louis
Temple
Thomas Jefferson Univ.
University of Miami
University of Rochester
University of Vermont
Vanderbilt University
Virginia Commonwealth U.
Wake Forest

# Reach schools = 4
# Target schools = 10
# Lower targets = 7

Considering taking out either Hofstra or Loyola (location), Umiami or GW (low interview rate), and potentially Wake.

Let me know what you guys think @Goro @FindMeOnTheLinks @Great White Buffalo @Catalystik[/QUOTE]