Help decide my future! Wake vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CUistheone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow SDNers,

I'm really having a difficult time deciding between going to Wake or NYMC. I've read similar posts here on SDN and SDNers have given pretty good advice to others that have had difficulties deciding. Thus, I'm hoping you guys could help me out a little bit too.

I enjoyed my visit to both schools. NYMC is in NY and close to the city which is a plus. Also, the schools seems to prepare its students well for Step I and have excellent matches.

Wake on the other hand is in a less desirable place, but seems to be a nice quite area. The school has excellent research opportunities and also matches its students well.

I welcome any advice you guys can give, or if you guys know of any other qualities I should consider. I was unable to attend the revisit day for both schools since I was just accepted recently at both places.

Oh and i don't want to consider money at this point. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey fellow SDNers,

I'm really having a difficult time deciding between going to Wake or NYMC. I've read similar posts here on SDN and SDNers have given pretty good advice to others that have had difficulties deciding. Thus, I'm hoping you guys could help me out a little bit too.

I enjoyed my visit to both schools. NYMC is in NY and close to the city which is a plus. Also, the schools seems to prepare its students well for Step I and have excellent matches.

Wake on the other hand is in a less desirable place, but seems to be a nice quite area. The school has excellent research opportunities and also matches its students well.

I welcome any advice you guys can give, or if you guys know of any other qualities I should consider. I was unable to attend the revisit day for both schools since I was just accepted recently at both places.

Oh and i don't want to consider money at this point. Thanks in advance.

Seriously? Wake Forest hands down! Especially b/c of the whole touro merger thing that is going on with NYMC.. plus I think its more expensive. The only draw is the big city, but ultimately, a school with a better reputation will place you in a better residency.

this is no brainer

Members don't see this ad :)
Wake forest ...easy decision, or it would be for me.

Is this a real question? Wake by a mile.

I'm graduating from NYMC this year if you have any specific questions.

I actually REALLY wanted to go to Wake, but it didn't happen to me. I think it's a great school and does have a better reputation than NYMC. Winston-Salem is small, though (so small that when my boyfriend had dinner with a female friend there, word got back to me within hours...which was somewhat amusing). I think the clinical training and variety of hospitals at NYMC is really fantastic, and not something you'll get as much of in a city like Winston-Salem.

Best of luck with your decision.

Wake forest ...easy decision, or it would be for me.

Normally I prefer big cities but Wake is in a league of its own as someone else said. I looked a bit into the school when i was looking at SMPs even a few years ago and the school just seems to be amazing from what I've heard and seen. Some of my friends considered that school like a dream school. I had friends that did ugrad at Duke that said they would have gone to wake over duke because its more chill but still a top name school. also, I knew someone that did ugrad there (met her through this website and chatted on fb). she seemed to love the university as a whole. The univ. and its med school are supposedly really good and really well known but also chill and relaxed. It just seems like a really nice program and if it is cheaper that's a plus.

I would go to Wake...but I would also consider money

CuriousKat, MD
PGY-4
250K in debt with a payment due July 1

Normally I prefer big cities but Wake is in a league of its own as someone else said. I looked a bit into the school when i was looking at SMPs even a few years ago and the school just seems to be amazing from what I've heard and seen. Some of my friends considered that school like a dream school. I had friends that did ugrad at Duke that said they would have gone to wake over duke because its more chill but still a top name school. also, I knew someone that did ugrad there (met her through this website and chatted on fb). she seemed to love the university as a whole. The univ. and its med school are supposedly really good and really well known but also chill and relaxed. It just seems like a really nice program and if it is cheaper that's a plus.
Thats cause DUke sucks...well and everything that yous aid is true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Couple thoughts:

1. You're probably smart enough to make the decision for yourself and not take your case to a bunch of randoms on the internet who don't know you. You''re going to medical school.

2. With that said, obviously you see something in NYMC if you're struggling to make a decision between there and the "better" school in Wake. If money is REALLY not an issue for you, go where you think you'll be happier. Match lists and board scores are student-dependent way more than school-dependent. Ultimately the degree to which you fit into your med school and your hapiness there will determine how well you score and place. I probably wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in the collective SDN premed crowd who seems to make decsions entirly off of lists of rankings.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input all. It seems that everyone is for wake. I'm gonna mull this over and try to come up with a smart decision by tomorrow.

Thanks for the input all. It seems that everyone is for wake. I'm gonna mull this over and try to come up with a smart decision by tomorrow.

WAKE!!!!!

If you had done a "poll" option for this, there probably would have been 95 votes for Wake and 3 for NYMC...

Congrats either way though!

Couple thoughts:

1. You're probably smart enough to make the decision for yourself and not take your case to a bunch of randoms on the internet who don't know you. You''re going to medical school.

2. With that said, obviously you see something in NYMC if you're struggling to make a decision between there and the "better" school in Wake. If money is REALLY not an issue for you, go where you think you'll be happier. Match lists and board scores are student-dependent way more than school-dependent. Ultimately the degree to which you fit into your med school and your hapiness there will determine how well you score and place. I probably wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in the collective SDN premed crowd who seems to make decsions entirly off of lists of rankings.

Good luck.
I interviewed at both...even if NYMC was ranked higher...i would still go to wake.

I have friends at both NYMC and Wake. Much more positive feedback from Wake friends. Only plus is you're close to NYC. Winston-Salem, close to home for me, is so-so, but weather down south is better too :) last year's board scores were pretty good at wake too.

Why do people post these questions in the pre med forum? The only answer anyone ever gives is based on the research rankings. Honestly, pull up every one of these threads and this will be true.

If you see yourself going into academic medicine or doing research, go to the higher ranked school. If you see yourself actually practicing medicine, go to where you will be happier. Happier = location + medical facilities + cost.

If you see yourself going into academic medicine or doing research, go to the higher ranked school. If you see yourself actually practicing medicine, go to where you will be happier.
They don't actually practice medicine in academics? :confused:

Wake is clearly the better school but to me it doesn't seem like it is that cut and dry to you. I might be biased because I grew up only 45 minutes from NYC but one thing I always wanted to do was live in NYC, which I am going to get the chance to do by attending NYMC. I am not going to lie and say it was my first choice, because it wasn't. I would have went to any SUNY school over NYMC because of the price, however, all else being equal I would choose location over reputation, if that is something that is important to you, as it was for me. As people say all the time, board scores, etc are student dependent so no matter where you go it is up to YOU to perform at the highest levels....that is all hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.