Help deciding between schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GGlvr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SDNers!

I could really use some of your helpful advice and wisdom right now. I have been very lucky this cycle in getting into 3 different vet schools – Midwestern, Washington State (with the 2 year Utah program), and UPenn. Each of them has its own advantage but each also has a risk or disadvantage. I am not sure where to go next year!

I was really pleasantly surprised by the Midwestern campus and its potential to be a great vet school but of course there is the risk of it being a new school this year and never knowing how it will end up there since it’s not established. I loved WSU even more but I am nervous about being in Utah for 2 years with only 30 students and then transitioning to Washington. And of course, UPenn has ‘the name.’ It’s an established program with a great reputation but I am nervous that it will be VERY difficult and I may not enjoy my time there as much as I would at my other choices. These schools are all polar opposites from each other and I like each of them for their individual qualities, I’m just not sure which choice is the best or right one for me. I was hoping people could give some advice if they attend any of these schools, or have experience of being in the same situation. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Most people will probably tell you that if you really don't have a strong opinion pushing you towards one, go wherever is the cheapest. Even saving just a few thousand dollars a year is great. You'll likely receive a good education wherever you attend.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd pick WSU. Penn is insanely expensive.

As for Midwestern...I just wouldn't want to be in an inaugural/guinea pig class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the cheapest. And I would absolutely not go to a new school when you have options at other already accredited institutions. A letter of reasonable assurance is not accreditation.

Hello fellow SDNers!

I could really use some of your helpful advice and wisdom right now. I have been very lucky this cycle in getting into 3 different vet schools – Midwestern, Washington State (with the 2 year Utah program), and UPenn. Each of them has its own advantage but each also has a risk or disadvantage. I am not sure where to go next year!

I was really pleasantly surprised by the Midwestern campus and its potential to be a great vet school but of course there is the risk of it being a new school this year and never knowing how it will end up there since it’s not established. I loved WSU even more but I am nervous about being in Utah for 2 years with only 30 students and then transitioning to Washington. And of course, UPenn has ‘the name.’ It’s an established program with a great reputation but I am nervous that it will be VERY difficult and I may not enjoy my time there as much as I would at my other choices. These schools are all polar opposites from each other and I like each of them for their individual qualities, I’m just not sure which choice is the best or right one for me. I was hoping people could give some advice if they attend any of these schools, or have experience of being in the same situation. Thank you!!

I agree with everyone else, go where it is the cheapest. Also, I would probably not go to Midwestern just because of the new school thing, but that is just my own personal opinion. Also, the bolded part.... "names" mean zilch when it comes to vet school, so don't bother worrying about that. Second, vet school is VERY difficult no matter where you go. It has nothing to do with UPenn. You are going to be working/studying hard no matter where you end up going.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm genuinely very curious because I've seen this in several places. Penn OOS tuition is 45k a year, which is (from what I've seen) pretty comparable to a lot of OOS schools that don't allow you to get IS residency after the first year. Am I missing something? I know that the cost of living is definitely higher in Philly...

On a relevant note: I agree with going where it's cheapest. If everything is pretty similar price-wise I'd probably say go with where you think you'll be happiest :)

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm genuinely very curious because I've seen this in several places. Penn OOS tuition is 45k a year, which is (from what I've seen) pretty comparable to a lot of OOS schools that don't allow you to get IS residency after the first year. Am I missing something? I know that the cost of living is definitely higher in Philly...

On a relevant note: I agree with going where it's cheapest. If everything is pretty similar price-wise I'd probably say go with where you think you'll be happiest :)

In case you haven't seen this google doc it gives you cost of attendance for all AVMA accredited institutions (put together by the wonderful justavet). UPenn is the highest US school for OOS tution. It'll run you close to $350k for 4 years with tuition and cost of living.

Reactions: 1 user

Going with this:
http://www.vinfoundation.org/AppUti...833&objecttypeid=10&redirectFromMiscDefault=1

and this:
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/education/financial-matters/tuition-fees

Living costs do seem to be very high compared to those of other schools, but I would say tuition is still on the high side as well.

Edited to add that the VIN foundation website isn't completely up to date, but it still reflects relative costs between schools.

Hi there! Congrats on having three acceptances from which to choose. I am a Utah resident, and have lived in the state for 4 years. I was also admitted to the WIMU Regional Program in Veterinary Medicine (USU/WSU), but have chosen to attend NCSU instead. WSU and USU are both great schools. I attended my WIMU interview at the USU campus, and can assure you that the USU program is very much 'on its feet.' It is beyond the experimental phase, and is well integrated with the established program ongoing at Pullman. Although I didn't attend USU (for any length of my education thus far), I did live in Logan, UT (where USU is located), and would be happy to field any questions you have about the area. Also, I'd be happy to offer my impressions about more specific aspects of the WIMU program, should you make your concerns known. Personally, I'm of the opinion that WIMU is very strong. I would have been quite happy to attend. That being said, NCSU has been my dream school for a number of years (long before I ever moved to Utah). I have a committed interest in Lab Animal Medicine, and NCSU is the only vet school in the US to offer a dedicated track to this specialty. This curriculum, combined with NCSU's geographic location (Research Triangle Park, a global hotbed of academic/biomedical research) led to my choice of NCSU over WIMU. I still hold WIMU in very high regard, and recommend the program without reservation. Best of success in making your decision. Please feel free to launch any inquiries that you may have in my direction.

Reactions: 1 user
I am at the USU/WSU program. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask away! (I'm also an ambassador for the school so I field questions anyway :D especially for OOS). You should PM me your name :) I was given a list of those with offers, but I may not have been assigned to you specifically. You SHOULD have gotten an email from one of us.

I honestly LOVE that there are only 30 students. For me, it helps facilitate my learning. And trust me, the school has busted its butt to make this program a success, so it will be smooth sailing for this incoming class (was for my class too really).

However, be aware that you will be paying OOS all four years. That's something to consider.

In case you haven't seen this google doc it gives you cost of attendance for all AVMA accredited institutions (put together by the wonderful justavet). UPenn is the highest US school for OOS tution. It'll run you close to $350k for 4 years with tuition and cost of living.

Thanks for the link!! That was really helpful. My only question is, do you know if for USU, it takes into account going to USU for 2 years then WSU for 2, or would that be the tuition for USU all 4 years?

And to everyone else, thank you for the links and responses! I think I'm going to rule out Midwestern but am still deciding between UPenn and WSU/USU. Need to make my mind up soon though...

Thanks for the link!! That was really helpful. My only question is, do you know if for USU, it takes into account going to USU for 2 years then WSU for 2, or would that be the tuition for USU all 4 years?

And to everyone else, thank you for the links and responses! I think I'm going to rule out Midwestern but am still deciding between UPenn and WSU/USU. Need to make my mind up soon though...

I would assume so since there isn't an option to go to USU for 4 years.

I just looked at it. It looks like it takes into account all four years.