Help--decisions to make!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shrtaznstff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

As a rising senior in undergrad, I have some decisions to make and would love some advice.

Some background info about me:
--Biology Major, Economics Minor, Pre-Med with interest in Public Health
--Overall GPA about 3.34, Science GPA 3.14
--I've taken all the pre-med prereqs, about 4-5 additional Bio classes, some neuro class, etc.
--I've also taken a few public health, policy, management, etc classes
--I'm involved in student government as well as a few health organizations on campus that are more public health related, brought a health organization to campus, am currently studying abroad in Ecuador taking a Global Health class
--Spent my summer last year taking classes, working at a non-profit for children with learning disabilities, and have done many hours tutoring
--Health related experience--spent 4 years in HS at a vocation medical school so got most of my exposure there through Dental, Nursing, and EMT courses, spent the last year volunteering at a Health Center's Urgent Care department once a week, and will be visiting Guatemala for a week to work in a clinic this coming August

My own thoughts: My health experience is kind of lacking I've realized. I hope to be doing more this summer and this upcoming year, next summer, etc. I had exposure to health care early on in high school and therefore knew that's what I wanted to do. Also, I am a Biology Pre-Med but definitely struggled with my Science classes. I've never seriously failed my courses but am a pretty steady B/B+ student with science classes, with some random A-s in there. I will be taking about 4 more science classes this year but if I'm able to do pretty well (B+s/As) I will only raise science GPA to a 3.2. I am most definitely taking a year (maybe 2) off before Medical School.

So in terms of what I need to decide:

1. Do a Post-bac or an MPH Program or both or neither?
2. Take GREs or MCATs before applying?

1--Like I said, I am definitely taking at least one year off.
-I was at a point considering doing just an MPH but realized that may not be the best idea considering my low Science GPA
-I would like to do a post-bac but have been told doing just a post-bac isn't best idea because at time of applying, I will be just starting my post-bac and Medschools won't have a chance to see my post-bac grades
So, then I was considering Post-bac + MPH Program (Boston University has a great one) but that will get very expensive
-Another thought I had was to just work and take some science courses at a school and do well? Like more advanced Biology/Med related courses. This seems like it would be cheaper and I could hopefully do some clinical med work while taking the classes.
Or is this a completely far-fetched idea?

2--GREs/MCATs?
Like I said, I most likely will apply for Post-bacs and/or MPH programs
My thought was to take the GRE this summer (around July) and then spend the next year studying for MCATs and take them a month or two after I graduate.
Would it make sense to take the GRE just to be able to apply for a post-bac or should I just take the MCATs at some point in the next few months (before or during January) and then use the MCATs to apply for post-bac programs? and then if needed, retake the MCATs after graduating and hopefully do better?

Extremely long post but please help me! And I can answer anything else that may be needed as well.
Thanks!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

As a rising senior in undergrad, I have some decisions to make and would love some advice.

Some background info about me:
--Biology Major, Economics Minor, Pre-Med with interest in Public Health
--Overall GPA about 3.34, Science GPA 3.14
--I've taken all the pre-med prereqs, about 4-5 additional Bio classes, some neuro class, etc.
--I've also taken a few public health, policy, management, etc classes
--I'm involved in student government as well as a few health organizations on campus that are more public health related, brought a health organization to campus, am currently studying abroad in Ecuador taking a Global Health class
--Spent my summer last year taking classes, working at a non-profit for children with learning disabilities, and have done many hours tutoring
--Health related experience--spent 4 years in HS at a vocation medical school so got most of my exposure there through Dental, Nursing, and EMT courses, spent the last year volunteering at a Health Center's Urgent Care department once a week, and will be visiting Guatemala for a week to work in a clinic this coming August

My own thoughts: My health experience is kind of lacking I've realized. I hope to be doing more this summer and this upcoming year, next summer, etc. I had exposure to health care early on in high school and therefore knew that's what I wanted to do. Also, I am a Biology Pre-Med but definitely struggled with my Science classes. I've never seriously failed my courses but am a pretty steady B/B+ student with science classes, with some random A-s in there. I will be taking about 4 more science classes this year but if I'm able to do pretty well (B+s/As) I will only raise science GPA to a 3.2. I am most definitely taking a year (maybe 2) off before Medical School.

So in terms of what I need to decide:

1. Do a Post-bac or an MPH Program or both or neither?
2. Take GREs or MCATs before applying?

1--Like I said, I am definitely taking at least one year off.
-I was at a point considering doing just an MPH but realized that may not be the best idea considering my low Science GPA
-I would like to do a post-bac but have been told doing just a post-bac isn't best idea because at time of applying, I will be just starting my post-bac and Medschools won't have a chance to see my post-bac grades
So, then I was considering Post-bac + MPH Program (Boston University has a great one) but that will get very expensive
-Another thought I had was to just work and take some science courses at a school and do well? Like more advanced Biology/Med related courses. This seems like it would be cheaper and I could hopefully do some clinical med work while taking the classes.
Or is this a completely far-fetched idea?

2--GREs/MCATs?
Like I said, I most likely will apply for Post-bacs and/or MPH programs
My thought was to take the GRE this summer (around July) and then spend the next year studying for MCATs and take them a month or two after I graduate.
Would it make sense to take the GRE just to be able to apply for a post-bac or should I just take the MCATs at some point in the next few months (before or during January) and then use the MCATs to apply for post-bac programs? and then if needed, retake the MCATs after graduating and hopefully do better?

Extremely long post but please help me! And I can answer anything else that may be needed as well.
Thanks!
:)

tl;dr