Help: Feedback- U.Pitt - MS in Health and Rehab in PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studymore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international applicant having completed Bachelors in PT this year. I have received admission to the one year MS Program in Health and Rehab Science with concenteration in Neuromuscular therapy at Univ of Pittsburgh for Fall 2010.

I will appreciate if i could get feedback from folks who have first hand knowledge about the program in terms of
- the program itself, job oppurtunities, etc. after the program.
- Which states would you recommend that i target to get license ?
- the program does not seem to be accredited. I understand i will have to apply for license based on my bachelors degree and complete any gaps. Are there any issues still ?

I understand Pitt ranks 2nd in US for their PT program, but i do not know whether this applies only to their DPT program or in general. FYI, the program is about 46K for 1 year.

Since this is my first post, please excuse if this has been answered previously or if this is in a wrong thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
are you a licensed PT? what are you getting this degree for?

I am not yet licensed. Joining this program to primarily get advanced clinical skills and also understand US standards/ procedures and hope to have a wider choice in terms of job oppurtunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not yet licensed. Joining this program to primarily get advanced clinical skills and also understand US standards/ procedures and hope to have a wider choice in terms of job oppurtunities.
ok, what i meant was, do you have a physical therapy degree? this MS degree sounds pointless unless youre using it to advance your career.

ok, what i meant was, do you have a physical therapy degree? this MS degree sounds pointless unless youre using it to advance your career.

I have a Bachelors in PT. I will have to do additional courses for any gaps that are identified by credentializing agencies, before i take up the NPTE license. Typically these gaps would be basic elementary courses like English, Physics, maths as these are not part of my bachelor program. In terms of core PT courses , I am sure all requirements are met with my undergrad PT degree as it focusses on core PT subjects all 5 years.

It appears that the MS program also since it is not accredited would not directly benefit me to fill in the credential gaps. If the MS program was accredited , then probably i need not have to worry about the gaps with respect to my bachelor PT degree.

However what the MS degree will give me is entry into the US, ability to give job interviews when i complete the program and also during this 1 year i can complete the gaps in my bachelor PT degree with respect to NPTE requirements.

What i was looking for from members is whether the MS program will offer any more benefit in terms of clinical skills, subject knowledge and ultimately better job and salary.

don't you need a post-bac education (MPT or DPT) to be eligible to sit for the licensure exam?

don't you need a post-bac education (MPT or DPT) to be eligible to sit for the licensure exam?
I dont believe so. They look for completion of anywhere from 40-60 credits of elementary education (english, math, history, etc.) and about 75 professional credits (core PT courses) in any degree.

I am an international applicant having completed Bachelors in PT this year. I have received admission to the one year MS Program in Health and Rehab Science with concenteration in Neuromuscular therapy at Univ of Pittsburgh for Fall 2010.

I will appreciate if i could get feedback from folks who have first hand knowledge about the program in terms of
- the program itself, job oppurtunities, etc. after the program.
- Which states would you recommend that i target to get license ?
- the program does not seem to be accredited. I understand i will have to apply for license based on my bachelors degree and complete any gaps. Are there any issues still ?

I understand Pitt ranks 2nd in US for their PT program, but i do not know whether this applies only to their DPT program or in general. FYI, the program is about 46K for 1 year.

Since this is my first post, please excuse if this has been answered previously or if this is in a wrong thread.

You should contact the school directly for definitive answers, as it is doubtful that someone here has been in the same situation. However, in regards to the ranking, while it is separate from the DPT, they do share the same facilities and at least some of the same faculty. It also appears that the MS class is largely international students. This link may be helpful: http://www.shrs.pitt.edu/PT.aspx?id=600