HELP! GMO applying to civilian FM civilian residency and no interviews yet...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently serving as a Navy GMO (currently on 4rth year) and I am transitioning out of the military. I have applied for 2015 Match into civilian family medicine residency programs. I submitted my application on 15Oct2014 because I wanted all my letters in before I submitted my application (because of two step 1 failures).
I spoke to my two top choice program coordinators prior to applying and they were both enthusiastic about my military background. The programs did not have a board score cut off.
I haven't heard from any program for a week now.
I understand that a lot of programs have filters for step 1 and 2 scores to determine who they are offering interviews to. I am stressed however, because I have passed step 2 and step 3 on first tries. completed FM internship at top 25% of my class with high pass and honors in every rotation. I have four years of "real world" clinical experience...both with really unique and prestigious Marine Corps Groups and strong letters of recommendations (4 total, one from my former program director, two from department heads, and one from former attending). If ALL of that gets thrown out the door because of my step 1 failures...do I even have a chance in the future? I'm just feeling really discouraged right now. Should I contact the program directors? Should I wait? Should I look into other specialties? I really really want to do family medicine.
(btw just as I was starting the Step 1 study season, my mother became ill and I had to take care of her. I'm not using that as an excuse, but I definitely had a lot on my plate that was taking me away from the focused study that is required for that exam. The failures were regrettable, but I can't undo them. I do feel that I have proven since then, that I have the capability to be a good physician. I wish I could just get a chance to let them know this...)
help. input. advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Still a little early, isn't it?

I have four years of "real world" clinical experience...both with really unique and prestigious Marine Corps Groups
This is the only part of your post that I might take issue with. Being a GMO for 4 years is not really "real world" experience, especially in the eyes of a busy civilian FP who sees 40 patients a day (variety of ages, medical problems, etc). Anyone who knows the military GMO system knows that it's not that hard of a job, clinically speaking. If they don't know the system, you might be able to sell it to them, but just be careful who your audience is. (I was actually surprised by how many former mil FPs went on to become heavily involved in various civilian GME programs out there)

Reactions: 1 user
Still a little early, isn't it?

This is the only part of your post that I might take issue with. Being a GMO for 4 years is not really "real world" experience, especially in the eyes of a busy civilian FP who sees 40 patients a day (variety of ages, medical problems, etc). Anyone who knows the military GMO system knows that it's not that hard of a job, clinically speaking. If they don't know the system, you might be able to sell it to them, but just be careful who your audience is. (I was actually surprised by how many former mil FPs went on to become heavily involved in various civilian GME programs out there)

Thank you for your input. I definitely agree with you in saying that GMO isn't as challenging as being a busy civilian FP. And I can definitely see your point. I didn't mean "real world" in the sense of comparing the role to that of a civilian provider. I meant it more in the sense of having to be in that independent provider role in general. I didn't use that term in my personal statements and have no intention (if granted an interview) of selling it in that way. What I can share though, is what my experiences were and how I think they have helped me (developing as a leader, developing myself as a educator, and even as a clinician - seeing a lot of "normal" doing a lot of "well exams" etc). But I am also prepared to share, if asked, how it might not have been challenging or helpful.

I have no intention of over glamorizing my experiences. But I have had some pretty unique and exciting ones...that I can definitely correlate to making me a better provider and hopefully educator in the future.

Thank you for your input. I definitely agree with you in saying that GMO isn't as challenging as being a busy civilian FP. And I can definitely see your point. I didn't mean "real world" in the sense of comparing the role to that of a civilian provider. I meant it more in the sense of having to be in that independent provider role in general. I didn't use that term in my personal statements and have no intention (if granted an interview) of selling it in that way. What I can share though, is what my experiences were and how I think they have helped me (developing as a leader, developing myself as a educator, and even as a clinician - seeing a lot of "normal" doing a lot of "well exams" etc). But I am also prepared to share, if asked, how it might not have been challenging or helpful.

I have no intention of over glamorizing my experiences. But I have had some pretty unique and exciting ones...that I can definitely correlate to making me a better provider and hopefully educator in the future.
Understood . . . you sound like a good guy/gal . . .If you applied to a number of programs, I would think you'd land somewhere nice. Good luck!