Help! Graduate undergrad before continuing master at the same school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cotermstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad has a coterm program in which you can continue for another year and get a master's degree. I have been accepted into the program. I want to coterm so I have more time to take classes, mainly to show that I can do better than I have done as an undergrad with low GPA, and build my relationship with people who will write my letters of recommendations for med school. I have the option of either graduating with my BA first and then getting the MS in Biology or I can graduate with both after I finish the master program. The benefit of graduating BA first is that I don't have to pay the undergraduate cost (it's slightly more expensive than the master) and it will look like I graduate in four years (more normal). Or I can graduate both together and still take science classes towards my undergraduate and raise my GPA, but it would look like I took 5 years to graduate. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Take the cheaper route. Nobody cares if it took 4 or 5 years to graduate and they're going to see that an MA/MS was included in your program. It really doesn't matter which you choose, so go with the cheaper route!