Help: How to address plagiarism/institutional action in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuwhenucme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it is very very hard to get into medical school with this "deadly" record. In fact, I knew it four years ago when it happened to me. However, I decided to come back to pursue my dream and going to apply for school soon. I am sincerely seeking your advice how to address it in my personal statement (PS).

Four years ago, I was taking my very first formal writing course in my life in a school. I was charged with plagiarism for the first draft of that assignment, of which only the 3rd revision will be graded. I was a non-English speaker coming to U.S. from a different culture background. I made my first mistake by not making myself familiar with the plagiarism before taking this course. I made my second mistake by rushing into my assignment with coping contents from other resources, without putting it as the reference part in my draft. I thought it is a rough draft so I can put the reference later after I finalize my essay.

However, I never had a chance to do any further work on this essay. The professor submitted it to the department and charged me for the plagiarism. I explained. Although the academic committee knew the issue was because I was not familiar with the rule of plagiarism and also the language problem and I was not doing it for the purpose of getting a better grade, they made the decision based on what they saw in some other cases. Therefore I was suspended from the school for one year. Also they gave me a failing grade on this course and required me to withdraw it immediately. At the time, I felt so helpless in my life and my dream to medical school suddenly fell into pieces.

I tried to ask the school for reconsideration and went to have a meeting with the dean of the students. His attitude was very strong and he didn't give me a chance to appeal this decision. He advised me to take ESL courses as my next step to move on. Therefore I took two years of ESL courses while working full-time. Later I came back to the same school and took the same writing course again and passed it with B plus. I am now taking another writing course.

I am drafting my personal statement now. I am not sure how much content I should put in my PS to address this issue.

I will definitely report it when I fill in the online application system. There is a section asking if I have received any institutional action in the past then giving me about 750 characters to explain. I am afraid it is not going to be enough for me to explain what happened in details, like I mentioned above. Should I mention more in my PS? If I should mention it, should I over stress it or under stress it? I feel if I talk more about what happened, it may sound like I am trying to make excuses. However, if I under stress it (for example, say that I admitted I made the mistake and learned from it. I came back to school and have successfully completed same course afterwards), it seems like I admitted that I used to have the character of dishonesty. I don't want to let this incident define who I am or who I was. It is very against my own personality since I am never a dishonest person. I have never cheated in any stage of my education.

For what I understand, PS should be a place to address who I am and why I want to become a doctor. Spending half of the essay to explain the plagiarism does not serve the purpose. But if I don't defend it for myself, will they assume I am a dishonest person by simply judging me from this record?

Honestly I don't have to face it again if it is not for the purposed of applying for medical school. I have a good job and many expertise in my field. However, I just felt my life won't be complete if I gave up my dream. I would regret for not giving it a try and just let this incident stop me to do what I really want to do. So here I am.

Any feedback is welcome and very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and kind help! Best wishes to you.

Members don't see this ad.

The PS is for explaining "why Medicine"? and "Who am I?"

In medical school you'll be learning yet another language, that of Medcine (note the capitol M). Part of this is being able to convey the right amount of information in as brief a period as time. The 750 word limit of the IA box on the app form is good practice for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
This explanation of why the plagiarism happened is all about why you think it's okay that it happened.

What you need to explain is your thorough comprehension of the fact that it's NOT okay that it happened. Make sure you understand the spirit of the violation. Why is plagiarism an insult to your honor?

Plagiarism is just one of many insults to honor. As I'm reviewing your app I'd be wondering what other honor violations would confuse you.

Honor is a big thing in med school. Better be clear on what honor means and why it matters. Why would YOU want YOUR doctor to be honorable?

I get it, whatever, you probably grew up in a gunner academic environment where the only thing that mattered was getting a good score by any means necessary. That happens in the US too. But it's considered a PROBLEM in education, not a core value. This is one reason all that humanities&sociology were added to the MCAT.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
ps where's the reapplicant part in this story?

Reactions: 1 users
ps where's the reapplicant part in this story?

Thank you all. Oh I am not re-applicant. I am sending my post here to seek the advice. I just thought this forum may have more mature and experienced applicants who can help with my question. Sorry for the confusion. Hope it is ok.

FWIW I think the 750 characters is more than enough. The way you explained it above as a non-native English speaker who was confused about the system seems OK to me, especially since you don't have any other black marks on your record and you did what the dean asked you to do. I do not think the PS is the right place to discuss this.

Reactions: 1 user