Help! I failed Step 2 CK, but I already matched in ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Help me please!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! I'm freaking out! I matched in ophthalmology and in my transitional year already, so I relaxed too much and failed my step 2 CK! I have a few questions I need help with.

1. How do I find out whether or not my scores have been released? I don't remember ever making a choice about whether or not to release them.

2. Does my ophthalmology program automatically find out about this? If so, how much trouble am I in? Can they pull my acceptance?

3. Same thing as #2 but with my transitional year program.

4. My transitional program doesn't start until late June, 2006. Since it's the end of April now, if I retake the exam before my start date, will I be okay? I know my school doesn't require the Step 2 to graduate, but I'm worried about being allowed to enter residency.

5. Any other help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, you won't be able to start your transitional year without your CK, and your only hope would be to re-take it ASAP and hope you get the result back before the year starts. In such a scenario, I would be very up-front with your transitional and ophtho programs and let them know you're doing everything possible to fix things up. Good luck...

Contact your TY program... it may not be a big deal. You're fortunate that your med school doesn't require Step 2 CK to graduate, meaning (depending on what state you are in), you can still get temporary physician licensure and start your TY without delay or a hitch.

This can not be the first time your TY program has had to deal with such an unfortunate situation, so regardless of how awkward it is, don't sweat it until you contact your program.

Members don't see this ad :)
diopter said:
Contact your TY program... it may not be a big deal. You're fortunate that your med school doesn't require Step 2 CK to graduate, meaning (depending on what state you are in), you can still get temporary physician licensure and start your TY without delay or a hitch.

This can not be the first time your TY program has had to deal with such an unfortunate situation, so regardless of how awkward it is, don't sweat it until you contact your program.

I agree with the above. I think that it is a problem if your med school requires it for graduation. My med school required CK as a graduation requirment. From the programs standpiont, i think if you are upfront about it, they can just wave it because they also have big stake in this too. They will have to find someone in such a short notice and most programs hate to do that. If you can graduate, i think you won't have a problem.

Make sure to schedule it NOW and retake it ASAP.

If you need more time, your transitional year program might frontload your vacation time until the scores come.