Help! I was arrested

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Love4many

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was assaulted. I was arrested and received a desk Appearance Ticket. I pleaded guilty, to a violation (a non-criminal offense) in NEW YORK

I got accepted to a post bac program the question on the application was whether or not I was convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony. should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad.

Why were you arrested after you were assaulted...?

They arrested both of us, and I didn't press charges the other person did

Members don't see this ad :)
According to New York, Penal Code article 10, a violation is an offense, not including a traffic infraction, where the potential sentence cannot be greater than fifteen days jail. It is important to note that a violation is not a crime. Therefore, if you plead guilty to a violation you will not have a criminal record as a result of that particular plea.

Thank you ! The implications, do you think this will prevent my matriculation?

Thank you for the piece of mind. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Out of my own curiosity I did a little googling, and found this site:

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/new-york-law/how-to-expunge-a-criminal-record-in-new-york.html

Note this section:

You can seal non-criminal "violation" offenses, which are typically low-level acts like loitering or trespassing. Please note that you cannot seal some serious violations, such as driving while impaired (DWI) or loitering in a sexually deviant manner. These offenses are normally sealed one year after the conviction, unless the conviction was before 1991.
So it's possibly that your record is already sealed. In which case, keeping in mind that I am not a lawyer or giving legal advice, it seems to me like a school or medical licensing board would not be able to see the record.

The above wont be needed and/or wont be affective for three reasons:

1) AMCAS instructions clearly state felony or misdemeanor while the OP has a non-criminal violation

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

2) Sealing a record has far too many leaks. While most records are "sealed" at a state records level, there is no uniform process in that clears previously filed information such as in a county court, DMV, etc and records will still be searched as in below link from AMCAS.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/how_to_apply/134178/background_check_sbs_descr.html

3) Secondary applications may ask for self-identified/self-sworn information that may include violations. You cant answer none to a question that, even if a record is sealed. While a violation is unlikely to get you barred from medical school, unethical behavior, such as not telling the truth on a statement you are signing as truthful would get you booted quickly
What I decided to do after my acceptance was let the admission committee know about the incident.

I'm just feeling a little anxiety because I hope this won't prevent my matriculation or taint my reputation. it was a stupid mistake that happen in 2011 I never got in trouble before or after that honestly I was just with the wrong crowd and I was immature I'm so embarrassed about the matter

Thank you for your Googling capabilities.. Well it may not be needed information for the admission process I'm thankful anyhow

Rule 1: Take a breath

worrying about it will not change any of the past. You take responsibility for your actions, and move forward. Focus on your application with PS and EC. Much more worthwhile

Thank you :)