Help! I'm Terrible at Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PB&Jam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a practice interview at my university's center for career services (they also help students going to grad school) and did absolutely terribly. Part of this was due to the fact that I've had a bad week, but life happens and in a real interview you have to detach from that, so that's beside the point. Most of the things I did wrong I would have done anyway. I couldn't stop fidgeting and never made eye contact. My responses were short and uninteresting, I didn't elaborate on anything at all. I didn't bring up most of my med school related activities or accomplishments, and did a poor job talking about the ones I did bring up. The interviewer said that, from my resume, I had a lot of impressive things to talk about, but that I came off as unsure and unconfident. These are all things that I've struggled with in the past and that will really hurt me in an interview, but I'm not sure how to go about improving. I want to apply to a lot of top tier schools, and have the stats to do so, but my interviewing skills will leave me lost in the shuffle of thousands of other applicants with similarly impressive numbers and ECs. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you ever been to a job interview? Some people I know went to them (even jobs they were not interested in) just to talk to someone they did not know.
Do you have problems with anxiety?

I pretend that I am going to talk to a friend of mine, or girlfriend, or whatever. That eliminates the anxiety walking in. As for knowing your activities, just know your activities. Practice explaining your research/volunteering to people you know.

Also, prepare for those stupid behavioral questions (describe a time when).

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you ever been to a job interview? Some people I know went to them (even jobs they were not interested in) just to talk to someone they did not know.
Do you have problems with anxiety?
Never been diagnosed with any anxiety issues, no. But I feel like I do have (subclinical) higher levels of/more persistent anxiety than most people, which could be a contributing factor. Still gotta deal with interviews, anxiety or not.

Practice makes perfect.

I had a practice interview at my university's center for career services (they also help students going to grad school) and did absolutely terribly. Part of this was due to the fact that I've had a bad week, but life happens and in a real interview you have to detach from that, so that's beside the point. Most of the things I did wrong I would have done anyway. I couldn't stop fidgeting and never made eye contact. My responses were short and uninteresting, I didn't elaborate on anything at all. I didn't bring up most of my med school related activities or accomplishments, and did a poor job talking about the ones I did bring up. The interviewer said that, from my resume, I had a lot of impressive things to talk about, but that I came off as unsure and unconfident. These are all things that I've struggled with in the past and that will really hurt me in an interview, but I'm not sure how to go about improving. I want to apply to a lot of top tier schools, and have the stats to do so, but my interviewing skills will leave me lost in the shuffle of thousands of other applicants with similarly impressive numbers and ECs. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 3 users
Giving and obtaining verbal information is vital to success as a physician. It is an important skill to acquire (that's why we do interviews).
I know, which is why I went to this practice interview and am now asking for help/advice. I'm not bad at this in daily life or even in clinical situations (I take patient histories for an optometrist in my hometown, all the patients seem to think I'm pretty likable). I just let the stress of interviews get to me more than I should.

I know, which is why I went to this practice interview and am now asking for help/advice. I'm not bad at this in daily life or even in clinical situations (I take patient histories for an optometrist in my hometown, all the patients seem to think I'm pretty likable). I just let the stress of interviews get to me more than I should.
It gets better with practice.

Go on a lot of first dates, that'll fill up your awkwardness quota for a couple lifetimes.

Then a med school interview will seem like just chillin'.

Reactions: 1 user
Go on a lot of first dates, that'll fill up your awkwardness quota for a couple lifetimes.

Then a med school interview will seem like just chillin'.
Fortunately (unfortunately?) I have a boyfriend. So no first dates for me :O