Help! International student studying CMHC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curious Psychologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently hold a BSc in Psychology and a MSc in Psychological Wellbeing & Mental Health. I'm planning on starting a Masters program in Clinical Mental Health Counseling in Florida this coming fall. I'm a British citizen and so will be an international student during the program. Like most of the other Clinical Mental Health Counseling Masters, it's a 2 year program with a 1 year internship. Upon graduation, another 2 years supervised experience is required to gain licensure in the state of Florida. I am a little worried that it may be difficult getting a supervised experience post because of my international student status. I've been told that companies are not always keen to file for international applicants in obtaining working visas due to the financial expenses involved. I wouldn't want to be in a position where I can't use my newly acquired qualifications to gain full licensure. Has anyone been in a similar situation before or knows of anyone who has? And if not, any thoughts on the availability of jobs for newly qualified international students?

Members don't see this ad.

I currently hold a BSc in Psychology and a MSc in Psychological Wellbeing & Mental Health. I'm planning on starting a Masters program in Clinical Mental Health Counseling in Florida this coming fall. I'm a British citizen and so will be an international student during the program. Like most of the other Clinical Mental Health Counseling Masters, it's a 2 year program with a 1 year internship. Upon graduation, another 2 years supervised experience is required to gain licensure in the state of Florida. I am a little worried that it may be difficult getting a supervised experience post because of my international student status. I've been told that companies are not always keen to file for international applicants in obtaining working visas due to the financial expenses involved. I wouldn't want to be in a position where I can't use my newly acquired qualifications to gain full licensure. Has anyone been in a similar situation before or knows of anyone who has? And if not, any thoughts on the availability of jobs for newly qualified international students?

Clinical Mental Health Counseling is very weak and not accepted anywhere outside of Florida. In fact, if you check on the current job openings in Florida for this degree, you won't find much. I suggest that you consider getting an MSW or a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology.

Thanks for your response but I'm not sure it is entirely accurate. This program is CACREP accredited and from the research I've done, that seems to be one of the main criteria needed to get Masters level Counseling work anywhere in the US in addition to obtaining the relevant state license.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response but I'm not sure it is entirely accurate. This program is CACREP accredited and from the research I've done, that seems to be one of the main criteria needed to get Masters level Counseling work anywhere in the US in addition to obtaining the relevant state license.

It seems to be a made up profession. They do not have such a profession in California. If there are only 1,100 in the nation, I would certainly not see a demand.
Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CCMHC

The Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CCMHC) was created jointly by the Academy of Clinical Mental Health Counselors and NBCC. There are more than 1,100 NCCs who hold the CCMHC credential nationwide.

It seems to be a made up profession. They do not have such a profession in California. If there are only 1,100 in the nation, I would certainly not see a demand.
Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CCMHC

The Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CCMHC) was created jointly by the Academy of Clinical Mental Health Counselors and NBCC. There are more than 1,100 NCCs who hold the CCMHC credential nationwide.

I believe that the OP is correct. This masters program will likely lead to licensure as a professional counselor or similar license. Also, since the program is CACREP Accredited, you will have an easier time gaining licensure in a different state. CACREP is very similar to CSWE Accreditation for Social Work.

Below is a link to a MS in mental health counseling which leads to licensure as an LPC.
http://www3.viterbo.edu/academics/l...uate_Program_in_Mental_Health_Counseling.aspx

I just left Florida, if the license that the OP would eventually receive is the LMHC, is the same as LPC in other states. Also, if the program is CACREP accredited, it is not impossible to get licensed in another state with different requirements.

About the international student thing... The only person I know in this situation is from Columbia and she is looking to do the same thing. Since we need Spanish speaking counselors in this area, it is highly likely someone will sponsor her Visa during the supervision years. The MSW requires two years supervision before the clinical license is granted.

I think your best bet would be to try and get in wherever you do your field hours/internship/whatever it's called in your program. They will be more willing to take a chance on you if they know you :)