Help making a study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnmoore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I am planning on taking the MCAT on April 1, so this is about 65 days away. I am using Kaplan test prep to help me review. One of the first things I need to do is plan out how I want to study. I am currently in a masters program, so I have to balance school with MCAT studies. I took the MCAT last year and I was not ready, I knew going in to the test that I was not ready. I want to be ready and confident this time!

My previous MCAT score 488
My goal score is 513

I know, I have my work cut out for me but I am willing to put in the hours I just need some help with how to study this much. I have heard people say they study 8+ hours a day for 3 month for the MCAT. That is not something I can do.

What are your thoughts on how much I should study and what I should study?

If you have any tips for making a schedule or balancing grad school and MCAT studies that would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tutor for licensing exams / Boards here.

First, make an Excel spreed sheet, dates of the month along the vertical axis and materials (like book titles) across the top row. Look at your month, what goals do you want to achieve? How much material do you want to go through? Do you have any large events during that month that you know won't be study days?

With a goal in mind, divide up how much of each source you want to cover daily to reach that goal. Don't overwork it, and leave some room for flexibility since sometimes, days are better then others.

Always, ALWAYS leave room for practice material. It's great to know material, but practicing questions is the real test of your knowledge and integration of the material.

I used this method in medical school every year and it kept me sane. I'm now a 3rd year and doing well.

Hopefully this helps!

Reactions: 1 users