Help MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punjabijatt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI all Guys & Galz.
I need little help from u.
I have taken MCAT in Aug last year and my score was 21M which indeed is very bad but then I had given that test without much prep. I am planning to give it again and hopefully in this Aug.
Can u guys recommend me any books or sites which can be really helpfull. I have just passed +2 and am free for now.
Please help me if u can. Any info will be helpful for me. Also can u tell what is the avg MCAT score needed to get admission in a reputed medical college of US or Canada.
I want to do Biotech. Which r the colleges which provide courses in Biotech. :confused:
Hope u guys will be able to help me. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Alright there Jatt, you might need to hold on...you've got a few problems.

Problem Une...you need an undergrad degree to get into med school in the states.

Problem Deux...for Biotech you need to aplly to a university for a B.S. degree (mcat not needed, SAT is what you should be taking).

Problem Trois...not that it maters in your case but your score should be somewhere north of 30.

So the good news is you don't really need to worry about studying for the mcat, as for the bad news...its back to the drawing board.

Good Luck

I have just passed +2 and am free for now.

What does this mean?

Anyways, unless you are interested in doing a combined degree in medical school (ie. MD/PhD program) alongside biotech, you'd have to do what vj_duke suggested, which is completing an undergrad in biotech. I don't know about the US, but in Canada, every single university has some form of biotech within their degrees.

If you want to prepare for the MCAT, sign up for a Kaplan or Princeton Review course, which is beneficial for gaining access to previous MCAT exams, as well as, gaining the practice in writing them (they hold about 6 practice tests in a full MCAT style exam-scenario). If you are short on cash, then you can just purchase the old exams from the AMCAS website (costs about 80 USD), purchase one of those big KAPLAN review books (costs about 100 CAD), and just study on your own.

All the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
+2 = 12th grade (indian lingo)

He probably was in the medical stream in +1 and +2. Right??
you don't need the MCAT for pre-med. If you were in the medical stream then pre-med will be a breeze for you. Its after pre-med, or rather during it, that you will need to take the MCAT.
But yeah i'm a little confused here too...abt what you want to do here...i mean medicine or biotech?

First of all THANKS for the response. :love:
Now the fact is, that I have passed the 12th grade in Medical stream (U were right hopeful05) and have given the PMTs,etc and waiting for the counselling which is in last week of July.
So I am free and since the syllabus of MCAT is nearly the same so I have decided to give it a try.
Also We(my family members) have applied for the visa of Canada and hopefully if evertything went right, by the end of this year I'll be Canada.and the chances of mine applying to a Canadian Med college is more than that of US.
Now I dont want to the MBBS. :thumbdown: No way.
I am more interested in Bio-Engineering,Molecular biology & stuff like that. :thumbup:
Somebody told me for all this u have to clear MCAT, I never heard of this SAT before and if I am not wrong then I guess in SAT U have to give test of Maths & not Bio. Is that right? :confused:
Now U guys know a lot more than I do.
So tell me. I have passed 12th grade with 75% with 88 marks in Bio.
What would I have to do to get admission in a Medical college(I think it will be in a Undergrad course, is it or not).
Also I dont know what the hell is this "GPA". :confused:
So i know nothing about the US or Canadian Edu system and will be very thankfull if u guys can shed a little light on these topics.
Hope I'll get a few more responses. :)

you don't need the MCAT for pre-med. If you were in the medical stream then pre-med will be a breeze for you. Its after pre-med, or rather during it, that you will need to take the MCAT.
What does this mean???

punjabijatt said:
What does this mean???
The MCAT can be taken at anytime you wish, its just that in order to enter into ANY medical school in N.America, one must first have an undergraduate degree.

punjabijatt said:
First of all THANKS for the response. :love:
Now the fact is, that I have passed the 12th grade in Medical stream (U were right hopeful05) and have given the PMTs,etc and waiting for the counseling which is in last week of July.
So I am free and since the syllabus of MCAT is nearly the same so I have decided to give it a try.
Also We (my family members) have applied for the visa of Canada and hopefully if evertything went right, by the end of this year I'll be Canada.and the chances of mine applying to a Canadian Med college is more than that of US.
Now I dont want to the MBBS. :thumbdown: No way.
I am more interested in Bio-Engineering,Molecular biology & stuff like that. :thumbup:
Somebody told me for all this u have to clear MCAT, I never heard of this SAT before and if I am not wrong then I guess in SAT U have to give test of Maths & not Bio. Is that right? :confused:
Now U guys know a lot more than I do.
So tell me. I have passed 12th grade with 75% with 88 marks in Bio.
What would I have to do to get admission in a Medical college(I think it will be in a Undergrad course, is it or not).
Also I dont know what the hell is this "GPA". :confused:
So I know nothing about the US or Canadian Edu system and will be very thankfull if u guys can shed a little light on these topics.
Hope I'll get a few more responses. :)

Well first of all……someone did not give you the correct information
MCAT: The MCAT is the Medical College Admission Test....students take it (appear for it) during or after their pre-medical (BSc) program.
So the MCAT is only for medical school, which like sunny said, you must do a bachelors before to get into any medical school.

MEDICAL SCHOOL or BIOENG. MICROBIO etc?: You say you don’t want to do MBBS; then you keep saying that you want to get into a medical school?
So that makes no sense….its like saying…… “ I don’t want to be an engineer but then taking the IIT entrance exams!!” ….so clarify that to us first, so that we can help you….
A) if you DO what to study medicine…then take SAT’s and TOEFL…apply for a pre-medical program (which is a undergrad program). Then during (while you are doing the bechelors) the pre-med program…prepare for MCAT….then appear for /take the MCAT…and then apply to medical program in universities…..

B) And if you DON'T want to study medicine but are interested in the bio-eng, microbio etc fields, then you definitely DO NOT need the MCAT at all. You will need to take the SAT

SAT: which is the Scholastic Aptitude Test. It tests English and Math. And international students are not expected to ace it since English is not their first language…but the better you do on the SAT= the more scholarship!! And I can understand you being a little nervous about the math portion of SAT because if you were in medical then the last time you had math was in 10th grade….but DON’T WORRY ABOUT THAT AT ALL…the SAT math is sooo easy….its definitely different than the way Indian math questions are…but it’s the kind of math we study in 7th and 8th…simple geometry, algebra, calculations etc….what is generally tough is the puzzle type of questions…because under the Indian study system…we are not very used to those…but they are like those word problems….remember them from 9th? Just buy the Princeton Review SAT book and study and practice for the test….but take it quick…..I am pretty sure you can take it in Delhi or other big cities in India as well….

TOEFL: Also you might have to take the TOEFL which is the Test Of English as Foreign Language. That, I have heard, is really easy….So bottom line…take the SAT and TOEFL. Apply for a undergraduate program for bioeng or microbio or whatever you are interested in….loads of choices here or in canada….

GPA: GPA is the US grading system....its the same as the A,B,C etc....
It is called the Grade Point Average
Letter grades are converted into a point system for calculating grade point averages:

:) (A : 4.0) (A- : 3.7) (B+ : 3.3) (B : 3.0) (B- : 2.7) (C+ : 2.3) (C : 2.0) (C- : 1.7) (D : 1.0) (D+ : 1.3) (D- : 0.7) (F : 0) :(

The grade point average is obtained by dividing the total number of quality points achieved (from taking classes and depending on grades) by the total number of credit hours attempted ( generally math and science classes are 4 credits, social sciences- history, psychology, english etc are 3 credits each).

YOUR GRADES: First, congrats. I know how hard and stressful study is there….and 75% is good. But you have to understand that here it is different….They might look at 75% and think that it is so-so..because here it is pretty easy to get 90’s and 100’s. When I came here…they saw my Indian non-medical grades and thought I was stupid or something…because we can’t get 100% there….but once you start classes…you can prove yourself….but you also have a chance to prove that you are smart and capable by doing well on the SAT’s , especially on the math….i mean you did have physics in +1, +2 so you will be ok……just take the SAT’ s seriously…..
And when you get into a undergrad program of your choice….definitely go for the honors program….

SAT SUBJECT TESTS: If you want, you can also appear for the SAT subject tests…like you can take SAT BIOLOGY; SAT PHYSICS and SAT CHEMISTRY….some universities favor them…..and if you do good on these then that will really show them about your abilities…because they might not understand Indian grading system..but they definitely understand the SAT’s….because they are standard tests that show the students abilities compared to other students…..

HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY: I don’t know if this is required, but some people who come here…submit their transcripts (report cards) to a standard and well-know evaluation company like –“ WES- World Evaluation Services” etc…..They will evaluate your Indian high school reports and give you an American or Canadian High School equivalency degree….and probably convert you Indian grades into what they equal under the American / Canadian system…..SO when you come to canada or usa....make sure you get the complete and detailed syllabus for 9th 10th 11th and 12th...okay...

Anyways…..Good Luck……this can be confusing and frustrating….but a good thing is to contact a university and talk to their international student counselor…..they can answer all your questions…and guide you properly….
Good Luck once again…

punjabijatt said:
What does this mean???
"it will be a breeze for you"--- i meant that what you did in +1 and +2 there will be really helpful to you during you bachelors degree....because it will be repetition....you did all organic chemistry and inorg as well....anatomy and physiology....botony....microbio....physics...etc...when you come here...your scince classes will be relatively easy...because you will know alittle of everything....thats how it was for me...i came here after +1....( i was in non-med) ...what i studied in +1 alone helped me so much in college here....like organic chem here was soooooooo easy....bio will be easy for you too....just be determined and you can do very well here :) :thumbup:

hopeful05 said:
Well first of all……someone did not give you the correct information
MCAT: The MCAT is the Medical College Admission Test....students take it (appear for it) during or after their pre-medical (BSc) program.
So the MCAT is only for medical school, which like sunny said, you must do a bachelors before to get into any medical school.

MEDICAL SCHOOL or BIOENG. MICROBIO etc?: You say you don’t want to do MBBS; then you keep saying that you want to get into a medical school?
So that makes no sense….its like saying…… “ I don’t want to be an engineer but then taking the IIT entrance exams!!” ….so clarify that to us first, so that we can help you….
A) if you DO what to study medicine…then take SAT’s and TOEFL…apply for a pre-medical program (which is a undergrad program). Then during (while you are doing the bechelors) the pre-med program…prepare for MCAT….then appear for /take the MCAT…and then apply to medical program in universities…..

B) And if you DON'T want to study medicine but are interested in the bio-eng, microbio etc fields, then you definitely DO NOT need the MCAT at all. You will need to take the SAT

SAT: which is the Scholastic Aptitude Test. It tests English and Math. And international students are not expected to ace it since English is not their first language…but the better you do on the SAT= the more scholarship!! And I can understand you being a little nervous about the math portion of SAT because if you were in medical then the last time you had math was in 10th grade….but DON’T WORRY ABOUT THAT AT ALL…the SAT math is sooo easy….its definitely different than the way Indian math questions are…but it’s the kind of math we study in 7th and 8th…simple geometry, algebra, calculations etc….what is generally tough is the puzzle type of questions…because under the Indian study system…we are not very used to those…but they are like those word problems….remember them from 9th? Just buy the Princeton Review SAT book and study and practice for the test….but take it quick…..I am pretty sure you can take it in Delhi or other big cities in India as well….

TOEFL: Also you might have to take the TOEFL which is the Test Of English as Foreign Language. That, I have heard, is really easy….So bottom line…take the SAT and TOEFL. Apply for a undergraduate program for bioeng or microbio or whatever you are interested in….loads of choices here or in canada….

GPA: GPA is the US grading system....its the same as the A,B,C etc....
It is called the Grade Point Average
Letter grades are converted into a point system for calculating grade point averages:

:) (A : 4.0) (A- : 3.7) (B+ : 3.3) (B : 3.0) (B- : 2.7) (C+ : 2.3) (C : 2.0) (C- : 1.7) (D : 1.0) (D+ : 1.3) (D- : 0.7) (F : 0) :(

The grade point average is obtained by dividing the total number of quality points achieved (from taking classes and depending on grades) by the total number of credit hours attempted ( generally math and science classes are 4 credits, social sciences- history, psychology, english etc are 3 credits each).

YOUR GRADES: First, congrats. I know how hard and stressful study is there….and 75% is good. But you have to understand that here it is different….They might look at 75% and think that it is so-so..because here it is pretty easy to get 90’s and 100’s. When I came here…they saw my Indian non-medical grades and thought I was stupid or something…because we can’t get 100% there….but once you start classes…you can prove yourself….but you also have a chance to prove that you are smart and capable by doing well on the SAT’s , especially on the math….i mean you did have physics in +1, +2 so you will be ok……just take the SAT’ s seriously…..
And when you get into a undergrad program of your choice….definitely go for the honors program….

SAT SUBJECT TESTS: If you want, you can also appear for the SAT subject tests…like you can take SAT BIOLOGY; SAT PHYSICS and SAT CHEMISTRY….some universities favor them…..and if you do good on these then that will really show them about your abilities…because they might not understand Indian grading system..but they definitely understand the SAT’s….because they are standard tests that show the students abilities compared to other students…..

HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY: I don’t know if this is required, but some people who come here…submit their transcripts (report cards) to a standard and well-know evaluation company like –“ WES- World Evaluation Services” etc…..They will evaluate your Indian high school reports and give you an American or Canadian High School equivalency degree….and probably convert you Indian grades into what they equal under the American / Canadian system…..SO when you come to canada or usa....make sure you get the complete and detailed syllabus for 9th 10th 11th and 12th...okay...

Anyways…..Good Luck……this can be confusing and frustrating….but a good thing is to contact a university and talk to their international student counselor…..they can answer all your questions…and guide you properly….
Good Luck once again…

First of all "THANK YOU :love: , THANK YOU VERY MUCH". :love:
I know in foreign countries people have money,luxurious lifestyle everything BUT "NO TIME" and u wrote that much for me. Really man THANKS A LOT. :thumbup:
OK I guess the main confusion is that I believe that courses like Biotechnology, Molecular Biology,Bio-Engg,etc can be done from MED Colleges.
But What ur saying, acc to that these courses r not provided in Medical univ.
I mean like to do Biotech I have to give IIT test which has no Bio section.
I don't get it, its BIOtechnology, BIO-engg but u don't have to give the test of Bio but of MATH. I think this is the main confusion. Hope u'll help me. :)

sunny123 said:
What does this mean?

Anyways, unless you are interested in doing a combined degree in medical school (ie. MD/PhD program) alongside biotech, you'd have to do what vj_duke suggested, which is completing an undergrad in biotech. I don't know about the US, but in Canada, every single university has some form of biotech within their degrees.

If you want to prepare for the MCAT, sign up for a Kaplan or Princeton Review course, which is beneficial for gaining access to previous MCAT exams, as well as, gaining the practice in writing them (they hold about 6 practice tests in a full MCAT style exam-scenario). If you are short on cash, then you can just purchase the old exams from the AMCAS website (costs about 80 USD), purchase one of those big KAPLAN review books (costs about 100 CAD), and just study on your own.

All the best.
Sunny vir ji
THANKS A LOT TO U TOO :love:
THANK U.
Sunny could be a punjabi name, r u punjabi :confused:

punjabijatt said:
Sunny vir ji
THANKS A LOT TO U TOO :love:
THANK U.
Sunny could be a punjabi name, r u punjabi :confused:
Consider me an honourary punjabi yaar :D

Hai hai balle balle!

Hey,
I guess I will try to help you out. Prewarning: I am only speaking from the US educational system's perspective.
It seems to me that you don't want a MD (MBBS in india) where you can be involved in patient care. from what you said, it seems like your goal is to have a degree in the sciences or engineering (which includes bioengineering).
To address your question, yes it is possible to get your degree in biosciences from a medical school in the states. Although, medical schools only award PhD's, Masters of Sciences and of course the MD.

If you want to study in the US (or even Canada - i think they are pretty similar to us), you will need to follow these steps -

1. take the SAT (for US schools for sure... not sure what is the entrance test in Canada but they probably take the SAT as well)

2. You will probably need to take TOEFL (language test required for most internationals)

3. Then apply to a bachelors degree program
The best school in canada is University of Toronto (google them)

4. The bachelors degree can be in any of the fields you want
it will take about 4 years and you can do a BS in molecular bio etc.

5. Now if you want to do graduate study, you can take the apropriate graduate level tests your 3rd yr in undergraduate (bachelors) degree program.

6. Then you apply to the graduate programs in ur 4th year.

A little bit of general info about SAT - the SAT is a test that all High School students take in order to get acceptance into a undergraduate college no matter what their interests. (They can choose to go go into philosophy, biology, political science etc. whatever). So all I am saying is, when you apply for a bachelors program you are just applying to a university, not a specific program (which would explain why MATH, English and now Writing are tested - everyone needs that at least at the level they test)

I think in India, you go straight into specialized programs (MBBS, biotech or whatnot) upon completing 12th (+2), while here you have to get another general degree (bachelors) for 4 yrs after 12th and THEN you specialize (get a masters, phd, or MD etc) if you still want to take more classes.

I hope that clarifies somethings for you.
punjabijatt said:
I know in foreign countries people have money,luxurious lifestyle everything BUT "NO TIME" and u wrote that much for me. Really man THANKS A LOT. :thumbup:
OK I guess the main confusion is that I believe that courses like Biotechnology, Molecular Biology,Bio-Engg,etc can be done from MED Colleges.
I don't get it, its BIOtechnology, BIO-engg but u don't have to give the test of Bio but of MATH. I think this is the main confusion. Hope u'll help me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
one more thing -
search any words you don't understand at -
www.google.com
Search for universities in Canada (especially near the area you will likely live)
Check out the dates the SAT and TOEFL are offered in India and sign up for that.

You don't need to MCAT at this point. in fact, you don't need it if you don't want an MD. So forget about that monster.

good luck
mercedesG55 said:
Hey,
I guess I will try to help you out. Prewarning: I am only speaking from the US educational system's perspective.
It seems to me that you don't want a MD (MBBS in india) where you can be involved in patient care. from what you said, it seems like your goal is to have a degree in the sciences or engineering (which includes bioengineering).
To address your question, yes it is possible to get your degree in biosciences from a medical school in the states. Although, medical schools only award PhD's, Masters of Sciences and of course the MD.

If you want to study in the US (or even Canada - i think they are pretty similar to us), you will need to follow these steps -

1. take the SAT (for US schools for sure... not sure what is the entrance test in Canada but they probably take the SAT as well)

2. You will probably need to take TOEFL (language test required for most internationals)

3. Then apply to a bachelors degree program
The best school in canada is University of Toronto (google them)

4. The bachelors degree can be in any of the fields you want
it will take about 4 years and you can do a BS in molecular bio etc.

5. Now if you want to do graduate study, you can take the apropriate graduate level tests your 3rd yr in undergraduate (bachelors) degree program.

6. Then you apply to the graduate programs in ur 4th year.

A little bit of general info about SAT - the SAT is a test that all High School students take in order to get acceptance into a undergraduate college no matter what their interests. (They can choose to go go into philosophy, biology, political science etc. whatever). So all I am saying is, when you apply for a bachelors program you are just applying to a university, not a specific program (which would explain why MATH, English and now Writing are tested - everyone needs that at least at the level they test)

I think in India, you go straight into specialized programs (MBBS, biotech or whatnot) upon completing 12th (+2), while here you have to get another general degree (bachelors) for 4 yrs after 12th and THEN you specialize (get a masters, phd, or MD etc) if you still want to take more classes.

I hope that clarifies somethings for you.

mercedesG55 said:
one more thing -
search any words you don't understand at -
www.google.com
Search for universities in Canada (especially near the area you will likely live)
Check out the dates the SAT and TOEFL are offered in India and sign up for that.

You don't need to MCAT at this point. in fact, you don't need it if you don't want an MD. So forget about that monster.

good luck
Canada has no such thing as an SAT, that is strictly an American thing.

Really....what do they have there then?

punjabijatt said:
You are welcome....always here to help.... ;) :)

And like all other posts till now have stated....forget about the MCAT...you don't want to be a doctor...then it is not for you at all
Take the SAT...its...like they said before....a test that tests your aptitude...it tests whether you are ready for college yet..whether your think at the level of a college student...everyone takes it...regardless of whether they want to study history, dance, engineering, biology, chemistry, business or sports management.....they don't expect you to know much about your specific field at that point....just to have normal language (reading, understanding, writing) and mathematical abilitites ..... so i know that it confuses you ...but its not like india....there we choose in 11th what way we want to go....and then in 11th, 12th we already begin our specific study of medical or commerce or humanities.....here its not like that....everyone takes the SAT....and like I said....they do offer SAT subject tests in science if you want to have an edge over others...
NEW DEVELOPMENT:
As sunny just mentioned...Canada doesn't have SAT...so if you are going to canada....you should contact a canadian school and ask them what to do....because I don't know abt the canadian system.....

hopeful05 said:
Really....what do they have there then?
Just based only on your high school marks (that is, if you are coming from a high school from North America). I am not sure what universities look at when accepting international students, but one thing they need is a transcript from your secondary school/institution.

We accepted Sunny as an honorary member of the punjabi community a long time back..... ;) :clap:

an7.gif

To Sunny...... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Party Hard
an3.gif

index-2.jpg

whatcha Get? watcha Get? han han han????

It will be absolutely a WASTE, if you take your MCATs right now.
Reason?

The MCAT scores are valid only until 2-3 years depending on the Med School you choose. Since you will "have to" do an undergrad degree in the US (4-5 years), you will have passed the time duration by then.

PS: Happy Birthday Sunny!

we partied and my back is sore :(

hopeful05 said:
an7.gif

To Sunny...... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Party Hard
an3.gif

index-2.jpg

whatcha Get? watcha Get? han han han????
Thank you very much Tina and Priyanka :D

I got to spend part of my day with Data-dude for an awesome round of tennis (the weather was perfect). I had some coffee-strawberry ice cream cake and it was fantastic (oh yeah I had some chinese food on the side)! As for presents, I guess my parents gave me the digital camera as an early birthday present.

The real party doesn't begin until next week (cause today is also shared by Father's Day, so most people are busy with their pitajis).

Anyways, I still got 6 more hours into this day so we'll see what else can happen.

Ciao everyone!

^ hey i got you a girl for your birthday present.....why don't you tell them about that? :D

First thing first, THANKS A LOT FOR UR VALUABLE RESPONSES!! :love:
and yeah, Happy Belated Birthday to Sunny !!! :)

Alright,Let me say it once again that I want to do "Biotechnology or Bio-Engineering"
As of what u guys have said, it means that
1. I'll have to give the SAT & TOEFL
2. I'll have to spend 4 years doing an Undergrad degree and then I'll specialize.

But I have more Qs. :idea:
The following are the grades of my 12th class, what would be its GPA. :confused:

English A1
Biology A1
Physics B2
Chemistry B2
Physical Education B1
Work Experience A1
Phy & Health Education A2
General studies A2

Also do these universities consider the grades of the 10th class also or only of 12th class? :confused:
And lets say a univ asks only for SAT I but I have given SAT subjective like Bio,Chem,etc does this give me some edge over the other students? :confused:
I have heard that after doind these 4 yrs of Bachelors degree one have have to give a certain entrance test to get in
the field of specialization e.g that there is DAT for Dentistry, PAT for Pharmacy, MCAT for MD,
So which is the entrance test for Biotech or Bio-Engg?? :confused:
Also can u guys tell me Which r the best, good & worst UNIVs of USA & Canada bcoz I can search for univs but I don't know which one of them r good or best.
Also when does the admissions to these Univs start?

Hope U will help me with these Qs also. :)

punjabijatt said:
First thing first, THANKS A LOT FOR UR VALUABLE RESPONSES!! :love:
and yeah, Happy Belated Birthday to Sunny !!! :)

Alright,Let me say it once again that I want to do "Biotechnology or Bio-Engineering"
As of what u guys have said, it means that
1. I'll have to give the SAT & TOEFL
2. I'll have to spend 4 years doing an Undergrad degree and then I'll specialize.

But I have more Qs. :idea:
The following are the grades of my 12th class, what would be its GPA. :confused:

English A1
Biology A1
Physics B2
Chemistry B2
Physical Education B1
Work Experience A1
Phy & Health Education A2
General studies A2

Also do these universities consider the grades of the 10th class also or only of 12th class? :confused:
And lets say a univ asks only for SAT I but I have given SAT subjective like Bio,Chem,etc does this give me some edge over the other students? :confused:
I have heard that after doind these 4 yrs of Bachelors degree one have have to give a certain entrance test to get in
the field of specialization e.g that there is DAT for Dentistry, PAT for Pharmacy, MCAT for MD,
So which is the entrance test for Biotech or Bio-Engg?? :confused:
Also can u guys tell me Which r the best, good & worst UNIVs of USA & Canada bcoz I can search for univs but I don't know which one of them r good or best.
Also when does the admissions to these Univs start?

Hope U will help me with these Qs also. :)
Thank you for the belated wishes yaar ;)

Now, what do the grades A1 and A2, B1, B2 represent? I'm guessing something along the lines of A+ (90-100), A (80-89), B+ (75-79), and B (70-74)? Well whatever it is, in Canada we would calculate your gpa in terms of an average percentage. For entering certain programs, universities in Canada look at specific courses that you've taken in high school, and formulate a minimum average for admissions. We don't have any entrance exams for bio-tech because that s considered an undergraduate degree. All the other exams you mentioned (PCAT/DAT/MCAT/OAT) are all meant for professional schools.... these are totally separate from undergraduate studies.

Since you are an international student though, the universities here in Canada will take a look at your entire highschool transcript, not just your later years. And yes, you will have to write the TOEFL. You mentioned you'd be coming to Canada by this year, is there any specific part you are going to be staying at (Vancouver in British Columbia/Brampton in Ontario)? You don't need to worry about which is the "best" university here in Canada, because they are all good.... Some schools are more known for their programs than others.

The major universities in Ontario you would like to stick to are:
University of Toronto
York University
McMaster University
Guelph University
Waterloo University
Carleton University (in Ottawa)
Queen's University

There are other institutions out there in Ontario, but their science programs are not well funded as these major ones. If you know where you will be staying when you arrive in Canada, then I could suggest some institutions that would be close to your location which you will be able to commute (unless you intend to stay on the dorms).

Since you mentioned Bio-Engineering, I would suggest Waterloo or McMaster, as ideal places for you to study, since engineering is their specialty (but every university has an engineering and bio-tech program). If you want to get into medical school here in Canada, some people say it doesn't matter whether or not your undergrad institution has a medical school, and I don't know if this is important to you... some people say that you may have an advantage over students who went to universities without a medical school, but that is not necessarily true.

As to the number of years you will spend at your institution depends entirely upon you and the degree you choose. But generally speaking, you will spend approx. 4 years for an Honours-based BSc degree in whatever field.

Hope this helps :D

Now, what do the grades A1 and A2, B1, B2 represent? I'm guessing something along the lines of A+ (90-100), A (80-89), B+ (75-79), and B (70-74)?
Well I told the above grades bcoz I myself was not able to understand what does A+ A- means.
Alright here is my scores then:

English 82
Biology 88
Physics 65
Chemistry 63
Physical.Edu 76

and there r no scores for the rest, they r only given in grades.

Work Experience A1
Phy & Health Edu A2
General Studies A2

Hope this will clear some doubts. :)

You mentioned you'd be coming to Canada by this year, is there any specific part you are going to be staying at (Vancouver in British Columbia/Brampton in Ontario)?

I'll be coming to Calgary(Alberta) in Canada.

Also I was searching the sites of UNIVs and they ask for letter of recommendations.What would have to be written in them & in what format.
I know some teachers who can write these can kind of letter of recommendation for me bcoz they know me for years and I used to get good marks in their subjects e.g I had got 97 in Science in 10th class and all my teachers were happy.
Also my social science was good.
So I know, teachers can write these kind of letter of recommendation for me But What should I ask them to write in it?? :confused:
Also Will I get a Degree in Bio-technology or Diploma after studying for whatever yrs it is ?? :confused:

Hope U'll help :)

punjabijatt, please take a look at these two links:

University of Calgary= International Undergraduate Applicants . And here is their BSC Biological Sciences program.

(this is in Edmonton, which you may not go to) University of Alberta= Prospective International Students . And here is the link for their BSC Biology program.

Both links outline the steps needed to perform for applying to their universities. Now you should keep in mind that you will be majoring in Biology, and once you get into the university, you can then find more information as to how you can specialize in the field of biology you are interested in.... Everyone's first two years of the biology degree are pretty much the same. You begin to specialize in your 3rd and 4th years of the degree.

As for getting letters of references, in Canada, we don't really use those for University, but it could be needed for international students, so keep those teachers that know you well, ready to write those letters.

All the best.