Help me become a Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dratos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I would like to first say that it is a pleasure to be a part of SDN. I have been reading many posts lately and have learnt a great deal in regards to the application process. However, I am still troubled in the direction I will pursue my future MD career.

Here is a little bit about myself. I am currently a canadian college student taking the practical nursing program. In my first year I achieved a 70% avg and the following year a 75.5%. I am constantly refining my work habits and priorities so that nothing stands in my way of becoming a doctor. I have only one semester left and I'm precarious with the direction I should go to get into med school.

My first thought was to complete my practical nursing program and bridge to the BScN program with York University which has a partnership with my college.This program will take an additional 3 years. From there, I can apply directly to med school. McMaster University in Ontario will accept students with a BScN degree and I would presume many others do not.

My second thought was to finish my practical nursing and then start over in some sort of bio major. Although this would take longer then that of bridging to a BScN and attaining a standard degree that way.

I was hoping I could get some feedback with what I should do. Undeniably, I need to raise my gpa to well over 75. I am very cognizant of this and am working diligently to see this through (fyi, my first patho mark of the semester came in today, 87% :p) . If you people would share some insight I would very much appreciate it!

Thank-you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello :)

Sorry I don't have any advice, but I am going to be on the same road as you are too.
This fall im planning on starting my LPN program, hopefully pass the NCLEX and work as a nurse while obtain a bachelors in a different area. probably not going to go on for a BSN though, probably Clinical lab science with pre med courses added.

good luck to you on your journey :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think nursing programs are favored for admission bc they see it as contributing to nursing shortage

Last edited:
thanks, if there is any more feedback, please don't hessitate to respond or PM me