Help Me Choose! MCAT 30, sGPA 3.59, cGPA 3.74

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spazz911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy Everyone,

I didn't want to post this in the "what are my chances" board since I'm looking more for help with determining which DO schools to apply to with my interests and stats.

------------------------------------------------------------------
13 BS. 10 PS. 7 VR. sGPA: 3.59 cGPA: 3.74
2nd time applicant applying to both DO and MD. Accepted to WesternU COMP NW but declined because I wanted to re-apply and give MD schools one last shot. I also received an interview request at ATSU-SOMA though declined the interview for the same reason (I applied really late to DO last cycle)

Oregon-resident, extremely heavy ties to Florida.

Lots of on campus leadership: club founder, society officer, etc.
Shadowed 3 M.D. docs for total ~100hrs, may shadow a 4th doc/D.O.
E.R. medical scribe ~1yr, full-time employee, incredible experience
Current volunteering: @ non-profit clinic and @ needle exchange / HIV Advocacy group
------------------------------------------------------------------

Preferences in schools: West coast or Florida. Competitive with great track record. Great curriculum. Clinical rotations opportunities in Oregon or in Canada (would love to do rotations in Canada or abroad).

Schools I think I'd like to apply to: ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM, Touro - Cali., WesternU-Pomona, WesternU - COMP NW - Oregon, Lake Eerie - FL, Nova
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I really prefer not to apply to too many DO's, so ~5 - 8 schools. I also have access to DO shadowing and possibly a DO letter of rec, though the letter of rec. may not be possible.

Members don't see this ad.

so you wasted your money applying last cycle and flying around for interviews and could have started school a year earlier. cool

so you wasted your money applying last cycle and flying around for interviews and could have started school a year earlier. cool

It wasn't a waste at all. I'm actually extremely glad I didn't get in last cycle, considering how much I've learned from my current job and the things I'm doing now.

But the main reason I didn't start school was much more delicate of a scenario than what I'm willing to elaborate online. Ultimately, I think I made a very difficult but appropriate choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
It wasn't a waste at all. I'm actually extremely glad I didn't get in last cycle, considering how much I've learned from my current job and the things I'm doing now.

But the main reason I didn't start school was much more delicate of a scenario than what I'm willing to elaborate online. Ultimately, I think I made a very difficult but appropriate choice.
It seems from the way you write that you want MD. So why bother with DO. You might have a chance at lower tier MD schools. This should be on WAMC to get good advice for yourself.

i think you picked nearly every west coast + florida school.

i'm not sure what advice you're looking for.

i do think it is strange that you actually interviewed and then decided you want to take a year off. that's like getting engaged and changing your mind when you're supposed to say "i do."

This is a joke right?

Good luck getting into COMP-NW when you've already rejected them. Might have even shot your chances at COMP-Pomona, since they might have shared information about you.

School list looks good otherwise. AZCOM would fit your bill.