Help me choose school to apply please~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabajane

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I haven't sent out application just because I can't choose which schools to apply :confused::(
My GPA is 3.53, DAT 24, graduated UCLA with microbio major, with some extracurricular activities.
Can you please help me to narrow down to 15 schools???
I don't know which one to take out!!!
I've leaved in Cali for 5 years and want to try out other states for dental school.
I don't mind the location unless it is totally isolated from the urban.
Weather... don't really mind unless it is EXTREME..
I would like clinic based schools rather than research..
Can you help me???
I would really appreciate you opinions..

Boston University School of Medicine (BU) MA
Case School of Dental Medicine (CWR) OH
Columbia University (CUL) NY
Creighton University (CRE) NE
Harvard School of Dental Medicine (HVD) MA
Marquette University (MQT) WI
New York University (NYU) NY
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) FL
State University of New York Stony Brook (SUSB) NY
Temple University (TEMP) PA
The University of Michigan (MICH) MI
Tufts University (TUF) MA
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) CA
University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) CA
University of Florida (FLA) FL
University of Maryland, Baltimore (MYD) MD
University of Pennsylvania (PENN) PA
University of Southern California (USC) CA
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (UOP) CA
University of Washington (WASH)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about some of those state schools, but you've got great stats so you have a great shot at getting into those schools on your list. It all boils down to where you don't want to live for four years.

If it were me, I'd cross off some of those state schools.

I am assuming that your a resident of CALI, so why don't you just stick to the CALI schools and get instate tuition... ITS A LOT CHEAPER! With Stats like that I would also think you can take your pick of any of those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if I were you I would cross off the following:

University of Florida, they take VERY little out of state, and I mean VERY, so it would be a waste of money.
Stony Brook, they have a really small class and also take a LOT of in state residents. With a class size that small your chances of getting in as an out of stater are really slim.
UPENN, they have more of a preference for high GPA's, like really high. You do have a chance, but it would still be wasting money, your stats can get you in for sure else where.

Well that's all I got! Hope that helped.

I disagree about SB, I'm out of state (albeit NJ) and got accepted. I have similar stats as you (GPA ~3.5 and DAT AA 26).

This year they told us that they accepted more out of state students. We have 7 from out of state and our class size is 38. We have 3 from NJ, 1 from Delaware, 1 from Washington state, 1 from California, and 1 from Hawaii!!

From what I've seen and heard, SB is a top notch school and you will definitely get a good clinical experience. I just wish I could tell you that from firsthand experience.

I disagree about SB, I'm out of state (albeit NJ) and got accepted. I have similar stats as you (GPA ~3.5 and DAT AA 26).

This year they told us that they accepted more out of state students. We have 7 from out of state and our class size is 38. We have 3 from NJ, 1 from Delaware, 1 from Washington state, 1 from California, and 1 from Hawaii!!

From what I've seen and heard, SB is a top notch school and you will definitely get a good clinical experience. I just wish I could tell you that from firsthand experience.

I think that's a relatively low chance for out of state. I agree Stony Brook is a great school, but the chances of getting picked as an out of state student are quite slim.

You might want to reconsider UW. They take mainly Washington residents. They didn't even send me a secondary application.

I can't believe I haven't sent out application just because I can't choose which schools to apply :confused::(
My GPA is 3.53, DAT 24, graduated UCLA with microbio major, with some extracurricular activities.
Can you please help me to narrow down to 15 schools???
I don't know which one to take out!!!
I've leaved in Cali for 5 years and want to try out other states for dental school.
I don't mind the location unless it is totally isolated from the urban.
Weather... don't really mind unless it is EXTREME..
I would like clinic based schools rather than research..
Can you help me???
I would really appreciate you opinions..

Boston University School of Medicine (BU) MA
Case School of Dental Medicine (CWR) OH
Columbia University (CUL) NY
Creighton University (CRE) NE
Harvard School of Dental Medicine (HVD) MA
Marquette University (MQT) WI
New York University (NYU) NY
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) FL
State University of New York Stony Brook (SUSB) NY
Temple University (TEMP) PA
The University of Michigan (MICH) MI
Tufts University (TUF) MA
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) CA
University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) CA
University of Florida (FLA) FL
University of Maryland, Baltimore (MYD) MD
University of Pennsylvania (PENN) PA
University of Southern California (USC) CA
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (UOP) CA
University of Washington (WASH)

I agree with above posts and would cut down some state schools like Stony Brook and Florida. Also, check with each school's website and see if you have all the requirements!! I did that, and cut down Nova and Michigan because I did not have a non-science professor's recommendation. I applied to 18 schools and most of them are the schools u are planning on applying. After submitting, I kinda regret that I applied to too many schools. With your stats, you will definately get in. Try to cut down to maximum of 15.

Take out UW and Florida and Stony Brook because they take few out of state applicants. I would also take out NYU because it is super expensive and you will definitly get in somewhere else - NYU is a good school, but there are better schools that are much less expensive. I wasn't all that impressed with UPENN so I would consider dropping that one too, it has a good reputation but I didn't like the facilities, it is also expensive, and they look for really high undergrad GPAs. I would also say you don't really need to apply to 15 - you might want to cut it down even further with your stats to more like 10 or so. I think you should keep all the instate schools, any out of state schools that really interest you and then a couple of back up schools.

I think that's a relatively low chance for out of state. I agree Stony Brook is a great school, but the chances of getting picked as an out of state student are quite slim.

I only know who is in my class. I don't know how many were accepted. Regardless, with those stats (s)he should definitely give it a shot.

Yeah, definately remove Stony Brook and Florida. Also, 15 schools?????? If I were you, I would apply to state schools and then BU and NYU as back-ups. With those stats, you will not have a problem. Dont forget when interview time comes and you are enrolled full time, you are not going to have time to fly all over the country.