Help me choose schools to apply to!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldcrown17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SDNers!

I'm getting ready to put together a final list of schools to apply. I'll be applying this summer's, 2016-2017 cycle. Below, I'll give you my stats and list. I'm just looking for some feedback as to what schools to apply to (weather that means removing some or adding some. I have a lot of volunteer and EC experiences as well as leadership.
DAT (AA/TS/Bio/Ochem/Chem/PAT/RC/QR): 22/22/22/23/22/25/19/22
GPA (cGPA/sGPA): 3.97/3.95 from a state school
Residency: Virginia

I'm thinking about applying to:
- VCU
- Maryland
- Harvard
- Colombia
- UPenn
- Pacific
- UConn
- Temple
- Colorado
- UNC

Members don't see this ad.

Apply wherever you want. You have a good shot anywhere (well...besides OOS unfriendly schools)

I'd take uconn off that list. It's notoriously hard to get into oos regardless of stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stat great for VCU and will be the cheapest for you!
UNC not very OOS friendly. I'd replace it with another school.

I realize that UNC and UConn aren't that friendly to OOS students. However, I really like the two year/two year medical based curriculum at UConn. And UNC is just really nice haha. Are there any other schools I'm missing that I should look at? What are people's thoughts on:
-New York schools
-NOVA Southeastern
-Alabama
-UCSF

I realize that UNC and UConn aren't that friendly to OOS students. However, I really like the two year/two year medical based curriculum at UConn. And UNC is just really nice haha. Are there any other schools I'm missing that I should look at? What are people's thoughts on:
-New York schools
-NOVA Southeastern
-Alabama
-UCSF
Buffalo and Stony are pretty damn hard OOS, but it's possible I suppose. Id say Stony would be harder only because they have like 40 seats. Nova is private so you're fine.

-New York schools
-NOVA Southeastern
-Alabama
-UCSF

Nova is OOS friendly and it's a great program! Beaches and nice weather is a plus :)

Alabama isn't too OOS friendly, but with your stats you def have a shot. And their program is one of the best in the south.

NY schools - NYU has a huge class size (~400 students) and it's one of the most expensive dental schools in the country. I got in with lower stats but i'm turning it down. You'll get in if you decide to apply. Consider adding Stony Brook to your list-- fantastic program. But i think it's harder for OOS residents.

How about other Boston schools? You have solid stats for Tufts/BU.

Last edited: