Help me decide between two pharmacy schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liluv3399

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone!
I don't know how to delete thread....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, Saint Joseph is 3-year program and Presbyterian is 4-year program..

Here is my perspective:
I would rather be in the second graduating class of the 4 year program; that way your school will have had more time to get 'established' in the area. Given that both schools are 'new', going with the slightly more established and longer program will give you an edge in placing a residency perhaps although all newer schools are slightly disadvantaged in that regard I would believe. Also connecticut is intensely cold, I wouldn't like living there, I would much prefer south carolina as I hear its a really pleasant place to live. Also I'm assuming living would be cheaper in SC.

Hi! I have a dilemma about choosing schools. I have been accepted into Saint Joseph College of Pharmacy and Presbyterian College of Pharmacy. Both are new schools and not accredited yet. I will be the first graduating class for Saint Joseph and second graduating class for Presbyterian.
My concerns are cost of living and the competitiveness for residency after graduation.

1. Would there be a considerate advantage over being a second graduating class than a first graduating class as far as residency and learning environment goes?

2. The high cost of living in Hartford, Connecticut worth it?

3. Which school will give me more chance to be accepted into a residency?

Thank you for any advise/help!! :)
Happy Valentines!
This is from my friend's account so no confusion please about my status...

Picking between the two, I would go to Presbyterian. Without matriculating a single class, St. Joseph's has already screwed up. Pretty difficult to do that.

Now, to answer your questions:

1) Potentially, yes. As the second graduating class, the school will have full accreditation (assuming things go well) when you graduate. This is not true if you are in the first graduating class, where the school will only be granted accreditation shortly after you graduate. How much of a difference this makes, I don't know.

2) If you were getting a good education doing it, yes. But considering the exorbitant tuition, unproven education and proven administration problems, no.

3) This a tougher question. Anecdotally, some residencies will not consider graduates from new schools or favor those from established schools (due to alumni networks, doubts about quality of education, etc.). Considering your choice of school seems to be limited to two new schools, this likely cancels out. Students from three year programs have a more difficult time securing and working internships, particularly in hospitals. Residencies definitely favor prior hospital experience, so a four year school will allow you a better opportunity to get that experience in.

In general, and this is advice I have given before, go to an accredited, established school if you can and are interested in pursuing a residency. Maybe you will not be put at a disadvantage by going to a newer school, but maybe you will. Going to an established school eliminates that possibility.

If, however, you don't have that option, then work your tail off (this stands for anyone from any school). Get involved in organizations, do research, get a good internship, maintain good grades, establish a professional network. Do everything you can to make yourself stand out from the crowd. By the time you graduate, residencies will be even more competitive than they are now. When you put yourself on paper next to 200 other candidates, what makes YOU better than the rest?