This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What would be your estimated debt load from each program?
For Mercy ~ $80,000
For IUP ~ $45,000 - $100,000 ( depending on residency and small assitantships

The variability makes me nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to both Yeshiva and Pace for the school-clinical child psychology PsyD programs and I am trying to decide which school to attend. Does anyone have any inside knowledge about the programs? I know there have been posts about this before, but I haven't seen anything recent. I got a much better feeling/interview experience at Pace, but I think Yeshiva is more recognized around NYC and out of the tri-state area. Any information would be a huge help!

Are either of the programs offering funding? If I recall, Yeshiva offers funding while Pace does not. But I may be mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted to both Yeshiva and Pace for the school-clinical child psychology PsyD programs and I am trying to decide which school to attend. Does anyone have any inside knowledge about the programs? I know there have been posts about this before, but I haven't seen anything recent. I got a much better feeling/interview experience at Pace, but I think Yeshiva is more recognized around NYC and out of the tri-state area. Any information would be a huge help!

Mod Note: Merged into the "Help Me Decide" mega thread.

Hi all,

I think I've made my decision, but I want to get some feedback before I officially decline one of my offers. I'm deciding between La Salle and Widener, both PsyD. Cost is not a factor in my decision, so I'd like to skip over that part of the discussion. I have interests in forensics, and Widener seems to have a bit more opportunities in that area and faculty with forensic interests. Their 100% APA match rate and captive internship are also very appealing. But La Salle is more balanced with research/clinical practice and they have a great on campus clinic. I'm from the south, so I am unfamiliar with the reputations of each school in the northeast area. Any advice or information would be helpful and much appreciated!

Hey all! Some help would be really appreciated. I'm an MPH student and I know exactly what area I want to enter... but have no idea what degree would help me best get there.

I would like to do both research and treatment in the psychopathology field (especially personality disorders). I also do enjoy more "normal" topics like adjustment, career assessments, relationship therapy, etc. In terms of treatment types, I fully believe in the power of CBT vs. DBT or medication. I hope to eventually open a private practice in the future.

Should I get a MSW and go for the LCSW credential since I primarily want to practice? (but then I can't do research with a MSW, can I?) Or should I get a Clinical Psychology PhD? a Social Psychology PhD? a Counseling Psychology PhD? a PsyD? There are WAY too many choices and I'm completely overwhelmed by all the possible Psychology PhD variants and what exactly they mean, haha. Help a girl out?

Last edited:
Hi guys!

I'm brand new to this site but I just wanted to say that if anyone out there has been accepted to Widener's psyd program and doesn't plan on going there to PLEASE decline your offer! I'm #2 on the waitlist and it's my top choice!!

Hello everyone!

I was fortunate to receive offers from both the University of South Carolina's and Wayne State's clinical programs, but I'm having a really hard time choosing between them. They both have wonderful potential mentors and research opportunities, as well as similar funding situations, so I'm feeling torn. I'd really love it if anyone has any advice or opinions regarding both programs.

A little background about my experience and lifestyle:

I'd be going in with a Masters of Science in Psychology. My program is research intensive and I really enjoy research, but I am not 100% certain at this point whether I want to pursue a tenure-track position or engage with clinical research in another context. I do know that I like teaching. I'm single but I have a dog. My family is also from Detroit, which is a factor but won't have a major influence on my decision because I'm used to being away from them. I'm currently in Philadelphia and like being close to the activity of the city, but I also like being outdoors and having access to hiking trails.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Hi guys! I'd still love advice if you have any. As a reminder, I'm interested in stress, trauma, and resilience/multi-systems protection in disadvantaged children and adolescents. I'm also very interested in intervention development.

Hi guys! I'd still love advice if you have any. As a reminder, I'm interested in stress, trauma, and resilience/multi-systems protection in disadvantaged children and adolescents. I'm also very interested in intervention development.

Internship match rates appear to be a higher at Wayne State, so that's a point in its favour. I think it's up to you to make a big pro/con list... Neither one is a terrible program, so it's going to be up to you to decide what's best for you.

Hi there,

This is a decision between masters programs, but I hoped someone could help me with my decision.

I was recently accepted at Illinois State for their Clinical Counseling Psychology program, with a GA that covers tuition and provides a small stipend. It's a two year program that requires a thesis, and provides a method for licensure should I desire it. However, my interests are more with research and I plan on going on to get my doctorate.

I also received an acceptance from the Teachers College at Columbia. I know a lot of people bash the program, but the prospect of working with Dr. Bonanno was too good to pass up. I also received a 18,000 scholarship and a work study that will cover tuition for the first year. I will also apply for administrative fellow positions that take additional price off the tuition. As for the second year, I have to assume that little funding will come and that I would have to take out loans and apply for external scholarships.

I emailed Dr. Bonanno yesterday and he responded the next day, which I was surprised to see. He said that he has a lot of masters students in his lab, doing various tasks. He also allows masters students to access the data he has collected to do their own projects if they desire it. He couldn't offer any guarantees, but he couldn't see why I couldn't be a part of his lab in the coming fall. It was a really nice email, and he offered to show me his lab should I visit the campus.

So, what do I do? Do I take the chance to go to New York with a great professor, but go into debt my second year? Or do I take the offer from Illinois State, that requires a thesis, the cohort is much smaller, and has one or two professors that I could see myself working with? The living situation couldn't be more different, as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any and all advice.

The tuition is around 24000 for a year of study. Also, the college provides housing for 8000 for both semesters, which isn't absurd. While the program itself offers no assistance to masters students, I was surprised to see any scholarship at all from the college. I'm leaning towards ISU (because, yes, its a fully funded offer, and I can complete my own thesis), but I really love Dr. Bonnano and he is well regarded in the field. Ultimately, I feel the opportunity to look competitive is higher at Columbia- but you have to fight for it.

Internship match rates appear to be a higher at Wayne State, so that's a point in its favour. I think it's up to you to make a big pro/con list... Neither one is a terrible program, so it's going to be up to you to decide what's best for you.

I did make a pro/con list, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight. Good point about internship match rates. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to chime in about another professional school that touts its own horn constantly, but it was, in my opinion, the biggest mistake of my career to have gone there: Palo Alto University. Too large a cohort each time of upwards of 90 students and counting each time; little time helping us get the credentials we needed to compete well on the national level for internships, a very adversarial administration, and even constant multiple choice quizzes as our principle way of measuring our performance (I suspect due to large cohort sizes). It came down to us competing against our own cohorts to get practica positions locally which are already in short supply in the Bay Area. If you need further info, please email me at [email protected] I have subsequently transferred out to a 2nd tier Ivy League school where the atmosphere is much better, support abounds, and there are lots of practica opportunities. This is one of the biggest decisions of our lives; don't compromise as I did! Palo Alto University's promos are far better than reality...

I interviewed here last weekend and went into it knowing all this but despite the fact that I am being considered at a few funded institutions I really like the atmosphere here and asked a lot of these similar questions especially regarding match rate and as far as I can tell they have made tremendous changes to their acceptance and match process... I don't know if you have anything to add but considering their Match process for this year is 85% which is more than many fully funded programs my doubts about the competition are assuaged. I do not plan to stay in the bay area long term. was there anything else you disliked about the program?

Houston isn't so bad. Good food, good culture, and it grows on you.

Reactions: 1 user
I did a fellowship in Houston, as a born and bred Midwesterner. I'd do it again in a second. Plus, with the largest med center in the US, it will open doors. It's a city of transplants and your supervisors and such will likely know people around the nation, depending on their specialty. Between the two options you outlined, wouldn't even be a choice imo.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all,

I think I've made my decision, but I want to get some feedback before I officially decline one of my offers. I'm deciding between La Salle and Widener, both PsyD. Cost is not a factor in my decision, so I'd like to skip over that part of the discussion. I have interests in forensics, and Widener seems to have a bit more opportunities in that area and faculty with forensic interests. Their 100% APA match rate and captive internship are also very appealing. But La Salle is more balanced with research/clinical practice and they have a great on campus clinic. I'm from the south, so I am unfamiliar with the reputations of each school in the northeast area. Any advice or information would be helpful and much appreciated!

Congratulations! I am SO jealous since I am very high on the waitlist at both schools! I'm #2 on the waitlist at Widener and I want to go there SO BADLY so the selfish part of me wants to tell you to go La Salle hahah :) but good luck! From what I've gathered both are seen as great programs but what do I know since I'm an applicant as well! I will say that at the Widener interview they said it's the oldest PsyD program in the country, and to me that has merit.

If you do end up going to Widener and I end up getting in then maybe we'll be classmates!

I
I'm trying to decide between the Pacific University PsyD program (adult track) and the Palo Alto University PhD program. I am ultimately interested in working as clinician but also strongly interested in research, so the balanced nature of the PAU program is a strong draw. I also am interested in trauma and LGBT issues which they have emphases around, and like the structure of the research groups. Also felt more of a fit with the faculty.

I am very concerned about the cost of living in the Bay Area (I've lived there before and it is even worse than usual now) and generally prefer the Portland area. I am wondering if there will be enough research opportunities at Pacific or if having a higher quality of life and living in an area I prefer makes up with less fit with the interests of the faculty. Also Pacific had a more friendly feel to it which I appreciated a lot.

Does anyone have any feedback about the two programs, in terms of clinical training, research and future career opportunities? I know they both have mediocre APA match rates which are pretty similar to each other.

I am an older student if that makes a difference.
I heard bad things about palo alto u ( see earlier threads). Chose a program that is shortest to get done and get workin.

It
This isn't great advice. You should should the program that will give you the best training. Shorter than average programs are not ideal.
It depends in one's career goals. If you want to do research or go into neuro, sure, extensive training matters. If you want to do counseling or work in a hospital, you learn mostly on the job. Background and training is necessary but its only a start. People spend waay too much time in school. Get out and get practicing as soon as possible. Post doc in that case is a must.

Extensive training matters in terms of getting adequate grounding in theory and practice of clinical work and also obtaining adequate supervisory experiences. I agree with psycscientist, shorter not necessarily better.

I would love some input from you guys about my choices. I am feeling overwhelmed by the choice of programs and they seem to have blurred together a bit for me.
I currently live in NYC but am ok with moving. Money, while important, is not going to be my deciding factor.
I am looking for a program that will help me get the best possible clinical training, an opportunity to explore different theories/modalities, expose me to clinical hours and assessment, and not break my back with research, though I do have an idea I might like to work on.

I currently have offers from City College Graduate Center, Adelphi, LIU Brooklyn, and Yeshiva (PsyD).
Also GW but I am most likely discarding that (purely analytic and on probation with APA)
I also have a great shot at Denver U (DU) and Wright Institute, both of which I really liked when I visited but am less familiar with as I am an east coaster.

If you have any input please let me know! Thanks in advance!!

If you haven't already decided, Adelphi might be a poor choice. Very psychodynamic and pretty much zero funding. Did my BA and MA there and they were both useless when applying to clinical programs. Consider this when you examine how future employers and internship sites may view your Adelphi doctorate degree.

Help!! Desperately trying to decide between St. John's (PsyD) and Fordham (PhD) for school psychology. Costs are about the same, internship rates are about the same, just trying to see if anyone here knows anything about the programs that I can't find on their websites. At the moment my interests are slightly more practice-oriented but I'm not sure if the PhD will afford me more career options in the future if I decide to go into academia. (The opposite was true when I was applying to clinical programs last year.) St. John's is very research-oriented for a PsyD program, but it's hard to gauge how practice-oriented Fordham is.

TL;DR: I loved both programs when I went on my interviews and truthfully I'm really just looking to make the decision that will give me the least amount of buyer's remorse.

Last edited:
Help!! Desperately trying to decide between St. John's (PsyD) and Fordham (PhD) for school psychology. Costs are about the same, internship rates are about the same, just trying to see if anyone here knows anything about the programs that I can't find on their websites. At the moment my interests are slightly more practice-oriented but I'm not sure if the PhD will afford me more career options in the future if I decide to go into academia. (The opposite was true when I was applying to clinical programs last year.) St. John's is very research-oriented for a PsyD program, but it's hard to gauge how practice-oriented Fordham is.

TL;DR: I loved both programs when I went on my interviews and truthfully I'm really just looking to make the decision that will give me the least amount of buyer's remorse.

Hi schoolpsychnerd -- I hear you!!! I just saw your post on the other thread....I haven't decided yet either :( I am incredibly torn as well. I seem to know what you know too, but I can add whatever I've learned here -- feel free to also PM me!

In terms of "practice orientation" at Fordham, I know that you get 3 practica (one in assessment, one in consultation, and one in therapeutic interventions). They seem to be at outside sites, with the exception of you being able to apply to the Rosa Hagin Centers @ fordham for assessment practicum (I think they take 3 students). In terms of externship, I believe you go there on your 4th year. My sense is that both schools help you through APPIC if you want an APA accreidited internship, however SJU seems to be really strict in that your internship must be school related, and APA accredited internships in schools or school-like settings are few and far in between. In terms of working in the schools, it seems like the psyd/phd debate doesn't matter as much, but I still get this sense that if you want to go into academia later, the PhD might be a better bet -- not sure how true this is in terms of school psych (I applied to clinical before as well, so I hear you on the shift!)

In terms of the "amount" of clinical training, both schools seem simillar, but I am looking into this myself. SJU definitely starts clinically-oriented things earlier (2nd year doing assessments, 3rd year doing 2 therapy cases in their clinic and going on externship). SJU faculty is are mid-career, and really active in research, if that is something that you prefer as well. I've even searched LinkedIn profiles of alumni to get a sense of where they land in terms of jobs -- both are simillar.

It's so so hard to pick between to very good choices -- I am still speaking to a few more current students and I am giving myself a "decision deadline" on Monday (cutting it close to April 15th)! I wish you ALL th best in choosing -- feel free again to PM me if you want to talk it out!

I am currently working on my LPC license and was wondering if there are any people out there who had an LPC and went on to a doctoral program. Is the PsyD worth it or am I better off working as an LPC? Unfortunately it seems as thought LPC jobs are pretty low paying and won't ever really increase with experience whereas PsyDs may start off around 50k but this could potentially increase quite a bit with experience.

I'd love to hear some opinions regarding this as I am very conflicted over this decision!

Last edited:
I am currently working on my LPC license and was wondering if there are any people out there who had an LPC and went on to a doctoral program. Is the PsyD worth it or am I better off working as an LPC?

McCloskey is a really well respected clinician, but that doesn't make the program worth forking over $35k a year (plus the expensive cost of living in Philly). If you really want to get your doctorate, I'd strengthen your resume and reapply next cycle. PCOM's stats and fin aid are atrocious.

As of right now I'm feeling as if it is either going to school or sticking with my LPC. I'd like to start a family and I don't really see it being feasible holding off even longer than 5 years from now =/

Guess I'm just wondering if it could do more harm than good by going. Everyone I've spoken with from the school seems to love it there, and the professors seem to be great mentors and have really good connections. Also, tuition is luckily not a big issue at the moment. I could manage to graduate without any loans. My biggest concerns are landing an APA internship and postdoc through the program and whether it is a reputable school.

I just saw that the APPIC stats and stats on the website for matches were extremely different.

Last edited:
As of right now I'm feeling as if it is either going to PCOM or sticking with my LPC. I'd like to start a family and I don't really see it being feasible holding off even longer than 5 years from now =/

Guess I'm just wondering if it could do more harm than good by going. Everyone I've spoken with from PCOM seems to love it there, and the professors seem to be great mentors and have really good connections. Also, tuition is luckily not a big issue at the moment. I could manage to graduate without any loans. My biggest concerns are landing an APA internship and postdoc through the program and whether it is a reputable school.

I just saw that the APPIC stats and stats on PCOM's website for matches were extremely different.

I have my LPC (equivalent) and make solidly over 50k. I would definitely, 100%, never go back to do a PsyD. All of that time and money is not worth the only added benefit of doing some assessments. I can do almost all of that right now. But you're right, there is a ceiling and unless you do private practice or become a supervisor of a site, you may not ever break, say, 100K. I am interested in research though and will be starting a Ph.D this fall. I'm also willing to wager I'm older than you. I'm not viewing it as holding off on my life for 5 years, it's just a different way of life.

Hearing from someone who is successful with an LPC helps a lot - I really hope making solidly over 50k is possible where I live! I was pretty discouraged as I have been looking for jobs while I still wait on my LAC and it has not been going too well - mostly because my license is taking much longer than anticipated. And the one place I did interview with was giving me the salary I made as a bachelor in the field! Think I'm giving up on my Master's too soon.

Wishing everyone luck who is still deciding!

I want to eventually get my PhD in Counseling Psychology. However, I plan to work a few years between getting my masters and my PhD in order to 1) knock out a LOT of debt that I have that would be impossible to handle on a PhD stipend, and 2) maybe start a family. Assuming I want to get licensed and do counseling in the interim (maybe in a school setting), would I be better suited getting an M.Ed in Counseling or a MSW?

I hear the MSW is better because the LCSW/LMSW designation is respected and there is also a lot of independence. But since my eventual goal is a PhD (and being a licensed psychologist), do the "independence" and insurance laws even matter?

I want to eventually get my PhD in Counseling Psychology. However, I plan to work a few years between getting my masters and my PhD in order to 1) knock out a LOT of debt that I have that would be impossible to handle on a PhD stipend, and 2) maybe start a family.

1) Aside from credit card debt you won't have to pay debt if you're still in school.
2) I have worked with a lot of people since starting my program (professionals in the field) who had similar intentions and never made it back. My current supervisor told me she had similar plans and gave them up once she had kids because she found the idea of giving up her current level of pay and sacrificing time with her kids untenable. Once you're in the field going back to school means taking significant pay cuts (if not going unpaid entirely), and grad school is an incredibly hectic time, plus your decisions will then affect your spouse and children and many people feel uncomfortable putting themselves first - I am not trying to sound judgmental, just expressing that many people I know felt themselves it would be unfair to go back to school and put that level of stress (financial and otherwise) on their family. Everyone in my program who had kids really wished they had more time to spend with them and their spouse and it seemed to be a really taxing time for them. The only one who gave up an existing career and had started a family was only able to do so financially because her spouse is a very successful attorney. I did have a great professor who went back and got her PhD in Counseling Psych but she waited to do so until after her children were in college. Again, I am not saying this is impossible, but I think very few people understand the level of inertia that typically occurs with people once you're in the field; there's a lot of factors pushing against going back to school.

I hear the MSW is better because the LCSW/LMSW designation is respected and there is also a lot of independence. But since my eventual goal is a PhD (and being a licensed psychologist), do the "independence" and insurance laws even matter?

There have been a few threads about different degrees to get and their advantages/disadvantages. If you are really anxious to start a family in the near future a terminal degree and/or one where you can be licensed such as an LCSW, MFT or LMHC may be your best bet. That way you have the option of starting a career or going back to school. I would definitely NOT get a degree that cannot lead to licensure under the assumption you'll take a few years off and go back, though.

I want to eventually get my PhD in Counseling Psychology.
I agree with Chalupacabra. I went basically the route you're talking about (licensable MA in counseling, then onto a counseling psych PhD). There were some folks in my program who talked about taking a couple of years off, then going back for a doctorate. We're almost six years out now, and none of them have. There are a few problems with this plan. One is that it takes two years after graduation to get licensed (this can vary by state, but this is pretty typical for counseling and social work licensure). This means that you may just be getting licensed by the time you're hoping to hop back into grad school. Another potential problem is the amount of relocating that often comes with grad school. I moved to a different state for my MA program, then again for my PhD program, again for internship, and I'm moving again this summer for postdoc. That would be much harder to do if I had a spouse and/or kids to worry about. I've known people who spend internship year away from spouses, and sometimes even their children. For that reason, I've chosen to wait to start a family until I'm done with school completely. Granted, that comes with its own set of sacrifices, and isn't the path for everyone, but it's what made the most sense for me. I'm not saying your plan won't work, but I would definitely spend some time thinking through all the implications.

As for your original question about masters programs: there are students in my counseling psych PhD program with MAs, MSs, MEds, and MSWs. I think as long as you receive good training, and get both research and clinical experience, you can make that transition. However, I think you may wind up having to take more classes if you go the MSW route (I was able to waive a bunch of lower-level classes that I had already taken in my master's in counseling program, but students who came in with master's degrees in other areas had to take a lot of those courses). I would also echo what was said previously about making sure your masters is licensable. However, licensable programs tend not to be research heavy. I got a part-time job as an RA during my master's program to supplement my clinical training and make me a stronger candidate for a doctoral program.

Thanks for the replies, both of you. The debt is all consumer debt, so alas I would need to continue repayment during grad school. As for starting a family, that is actually very back-burner for me (I'm not fond of young kids; it's always been a "someday I'll get around to it" mentality). Up until 3 months ago (when I started seriously dating) I didn't even want children (or marriage), if that's any indication of its importance, haha.

That said, thanks for the advice regarding the licensable masters. The programs I'm looking at are all eligible in my state, though granted if I got a MSW I would be eligible for either the LPC or the LCSW (out of curiosity - has anyone ever tried to pursue both?!) I'm already in a lab so I'm not too worried regarding the research experience. Just wanted to make sure that I didn't face prejudice from Counseling Psych programs for choosing one or the other (M.Ed in Counseling vs. an MSW). Do the PhD programs give any weight to whether you're already licensed as an LPC or LCSW?

tl;dr - M.Ed in Counseling or MSW, if I want to get into PhD Counseling Psych? :p

In my experience, as long as the master's is in a related field then you should be fine. There are people in my program with both degrees. I also don't think having the license has any impact on acceptance. Many people (myself included) go straight from master's to PhD without taking the time to get licensed in between. Several people in my program (myself included) actually got licensed during the PhD program. We used our PhD practicum hours as post-degree master's hours. This allowed some folks to work at local agencies or in private practice in the later years of the program. I think the big benefit of doing a master's in counseling is that more of your master's coursework will be transferrable to your doctoral program. If you go the MSW route, fewer classes will overlap, and you may wind up taking more courses overall. However, there does seem to be more job flexibility for MSWs (assuming, of course, that you would be interested in case management positions). This seems to vary by area, though, with some places being more MSW-friendly and others more LPC-friendly. I would say that it would be more cost-effective in the long-run to do a counseling master's, as long as you're certain about going for a counseling psych doctorate afterwards. If you're uncertain about a doctorate program, or want to play things safer as far as master-level work goes, then MSW might be the way to go. I can't say that either path is "better." They can both get you where you want to go, and both have pros and cons. I think it comes down to what is more important to you.

Last edited:
I am seeking advice/wisdom from others in-the-community...

I currently hold an MA in Counseling Psychology. I'm employed as a full-time faculty member at a community college. And my school offers a generous tuition waiver program (18 hours/year). I am location-bound, given my full-time role. So, I applied to a couple of doctoral programs within driving distance. And, now, I'm in a situation where I've been accepted! At both schools! I've been in various forms of shock, gratitude, thankfulness, etc... And, now I'm in a situation where I'll have to choose between the two...my OCPD tendencies are engaged in a collection of "pros/cons" lists, etc....Looking for a fresh perspective...

So, Program "A" offers a Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision. Program A is housed in a top-50 college of education. And, they're in the process of obtaining CACREP accreditation for their doctoral program. Program "B" offers a Psy.D. with an emphasis on Clinical Psychology. It's a new program that is seeking APA accreditation.

My long-term goals are to continue to work in education (eventually secure a tenure-track faculty position) as well as practice on-the-side. I realize, both programs have pros/cons.

Any thoughts/advice from those in-the-field?

I am seeking advice/wisdom from others in-the-community...

I currently hold an MA in Counseling Psychology. I'm employed as a full-time faculty member at a community college. And my school offers a generous tuition waiver program (18 hours/year). I am location-bound, given my full-time role. So, I applied to a couple of doctoral programs within driving distance. And, now, I'm in a situation where I've been accepted! At both schools! I've been in various forms of shock, gratitude, thankfulness, etc... And, now I'm in a situation where I'll have to choose between the two...my OCPD tendencies are engaged in a collection of "pros/cons" lists, etc....Looking for a fresh perspective...

So, Program "A" offers a Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision. Program A is housed in a top-50 college of education. And, they're in the process of obtaining CACREP accreditation for their doctoral program. Program "B" offers a Psy.D. with an emphasis on Clinical Psychology. It's a new program that is seeking APA accreditation.

My long-term goals are to continue to work in education (eventually secure a tenure-track faculty position) as well as practice on-the-side. I realize, both programs have pros/cons.

Any thoughts/advice from those in-the-field?

Mod Note: Although the poll was unfortunately lost, given the topic, I've merged this into the "Help Me Decide" sticky.

As for my take, it sounds a bit dicey for either choice, given that both are currently seeking (rather than already holding) accreditation. However, your career goals are likely going to factor into which of the two might represent a better choice.

Is the Psy.D. program housed in a traditional university, or is it more of a free-standing professional school? Regardless, the lack of APA accreditation is going to make securing an APA-accredited internship tough, which can significantly limit career options depending on what it is you'd like to do.

Thanks for the response! The Psy.D. Is part of a traditional university psych department (as opposed to a professional/freestanding program). However I share the same concerns regarding accreditation for both programs. My current state does not require APA accreditation...but I realize (if the PsyD does not gain accreditation) I'd be limited in opportunities to relocate...

I've read other sites that report folks cannot teach or secure tenure with the PsyD? I also have an interest in research (I'm the weird student who enjoyed the masters thesis and research courses). So I also have concerns over the lack of research training opportunities in a PsyD.

However I also have concerns over the availability of teaching opportunities with the phd in CES. Plus, I already LPC eligible so I would not gain any additional licensure opportunities.

Thanks again for your help!!!

I've read other sites that report folks cannot teach or secure tenure with the PsyD? I also have an interest in research (I'm the weird student who enjoyed the masters thesis and research courses). So I also have concerns over the lack of research training opportunities in a PsyD.

Two of the three core faculty members in the program I just finished are PsyDs and both have tenure. I have never heard of those restrictions before.

Two of the three core faculty members in the program I just finished are PsyDs and both have tenure. I have never heard of those restrictions before.

Yeah, there is no restriction here. Although I would agree that it would be difficult for someone from a no/light research PsyD to get a tenure track position as a faculty member in a position where they were expected to do research. Depends on your CV. If the poster wishes to keep the research door open, I would advise them to do their homework and make sure they find a balanced program.

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently a rising senior at university, and I am planning on going into Clinical Child Psychology. I have a major in Psych and a minor in Health Systems Management, (hospital management) and was planning on working in a hospital either during or before graduate school.

I want to just gauge my options here because I know for a fact that my GPA isn't the strongest. I'd just like feedback on if I should focus on working out of college and then applying to clinical programs after? Personal problems freshman year and then I was Pre-med before doing my Psych major which didn't help my GPA at all. Lots of C-'s, C's, and B's, until Chem destroyed my sophomore year GPA. Switched to Psych and HSM and I've been on an upward trend since, but it's not a competitive GPA.

2.6 cum and 2.97 psych gpa. This semester raised both to 2.7 cum.

I have two years of research experience where I have worked in the same lab in visual cognition with an amazing professor who would be willing to write a letter of rec. I am also doing research with a professor this summer in anger in children from hostile areas, along with two internships with social workers - one at DCFS and another at an alternative school. I have also worked at numerous child care jobs.
I worked in a school and did a job at a summer camp for hands-on child experience.

I'll be taking the GRE in September of this year, and am starting to study for it now.

I was wondering what I should start looking into to strengthen my application as I would really like to practice hands-on clinical psychology, like seeing patients and such. I'd also like to know if it would just be better for me to apply to MA counseling programs. What are the limitations with an MA? What kinds of salary should I be expecting? I want to know if it's better for me to pursue a MA or PH.D if what I want to do is therapy/clinical stuff. What kinds of limits am I looking at with an MA? Is it worth it to get an MA in counseling if I know I'd like to do clinical therapy later?

Please let me know!

I am currently a rising senior at university, and I am planning on going into Clinical Child Psychology. I have a major in Psych and a minor in Health Systems Management, (hospital management) and was planning on working in a hospital either during or before graduate school.

I want to just gauge my options here because I know for a fact that my GPA isn't the strongest. I'd just like feedback on if I should focus on working out of college and then applying to clinical programs after? Personal problems freshman year and then I was Pre-med before doing my Psych major which didn't help my GPA at all. Lots of C-'s, C's, and B's, until Chem destroyed my sophomore year GPA. Switched to Psych and HSM and I've been on an upward trend since, but it's not a competitive GPA.

2.6 cum and 2.97 psych gpa. This semester raised both to 2.7 cum.

I have two years of research experience where I have worked in the same lab in visual cognition with an amazing professor who would be willing to write a letter of rec. I am also doing research with a professor this summer in anger in children from hostile areas, along with two internships with social workers - one at DCFS and another at an alternative school. I have also worked at numerous child care jobs.
I worked in a school and did a job at a summer camp for hands-on child experience.

I'll be taking the GRE in September of this year, and am starting to study for it now.

I was wondering what I should start looking into to strengthen my application as I would really like to practice hands-on clinical psychology, like seeing patients and such. I'd also like to know if it would just be better for me to apply to MA counseling programs. What are the limitations with an MA? What kinds of salary should I be expecting? I want to know if it's better for me to pursue a MA or PH.D if what I want to do is therapy/clinical stuff. What kinds of limits am I looking at with an MA? Is it worth it to get an MA in counseling if I know I'd like to do clinical therapy late
Please let me know!

I can't speak with the same degree of authority as some of the regulars here who are faculty, but I imagine it's going to be an uphill battle to get into a good doctoral program with that GPA. If you're only interested in therapy you can do it without a PhD (e.g. LMHC, LCSW). I'd recommend looking into Master's programs either way, as you're most likely going to need to improve that GPA significantly to be competitive if you do decide that you ultimately want to go the PhD route. Also, have you looked into the BCBA? That's one way to do a lot of work with kids with behavioral issues (ASD, anger issues, etc.) as well.

Just out of curiosity would you guys pick the Denver PsyD or adelphi PhD?

Depends on for what, and what your financial situation is.
Clinical psychology. Got no aid at denver but loved the program on interview day. Got some funding at adelphi and a good advisor. Husband can work to cover cost of living. But I think about denver often especially since I hate Long Island

I meant specifically within clinical psychology, do you have a proposed specialty area?
Want a private practice. Already did a masters and realized I like psychodynamic theory a lot