Help Me Decide on What to Major In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RYost234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am interested in becoming either a PA or a sports med doctor, (maybe even psychiatrist) however I'm having a hard time finding a major that could fit both careers. I will most likely be attending Hope college, which have a pre med and pre pa course. Since I'm not sure on either, do you guys think it would be better to just major in Kinesiology and get both required classes to med school/pa school during that major? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

lol your major really doesn't matter for your future career at a doctor, major in something you like.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys,
I am interested in becoming either a PA or a sports med doctor, (maybe even psychiatrist) however I'm having a hard time finding a major that could fit both careers. I will most likely be attending Hope college, which have a pre med and pre pa course. Since I'm not sure on either, do you guys think it would be better to just major in Kinesiology and get both required classes to med school/pa school during that major? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
I don't think it matters what your major is as long as you fulfill the specific requirements - whether you go the PA route or the MD route. I knew a guy who got into Ortho, whose major was in Kinesiology which naturally spurred his initial interest in that area.

doesn't matter what you major in. you can even major in like dance or arts if you want.

you just need to meet the pre-reqs for any given medical school

MAJOR IN WHAT YOU WANT. THEN TALK TO YOUR ADVISER ABOUT WORKING IN PRE-MED REQUIREMENTS.

jaysus.

It used to be that you could major in anything but I believe that is no longer true. 25% of osteopathic applicants are non-science majors and yet at some schools only 10% of the students admitted are non-science. On top of that, many schools are starting to add their own unique extra qualifications to the normal list of chem, ochem and bio for med school. They want biochem or advanced biology, and some PA schools want other science classes not required by med schools like anatomy or physiology. So especially if you are not completely certain, I would suggest majoring in biology in a place that also offers human anatomy and physiology.

Like the above said, major in what you want. Many students who are interested in medicine are (coincidentally enough!) interested in science, so you see plenty of biology, chemistry, and biochemistry majors. I majored in neuroscience, really just a more specialized biology that includes elements of psychology. But I have a friend who just matriculated to med school who majored in music performance, and know plenty of others who majored in liberal arts and business.

Major in something that interests you. As long as you complete your pre-reqs, it doesn't matter.

I can think about your question from several different angles. Ultimately, you can decide which aspects are most important to you (which may be something I mention and might not).

Medical School and Major
1. Medical school adcoms say that major doesn't matter. The biggest deals are gpa and mcat.
2. You will need to complete medical school prerequisites and prepare for the MCAT. These courses can be added on to almost any major, but may overlap with some science major requirements.
3. Most people who apply to medical school are science majors, but science majors are not necessarily preferred - sometimes adcoms want students from a variety of backgrounds and different majors.
4. Majoring in science may or may not help you with the MCAT, with medical school coursework, or in your future career. As a non-science major who scored above the 95th percentile in all science sections of the MCAT, I'm leaning toward it doesn't help with MCAT.
5. Majoring in a science, or field relevant to a medical specialty, may show early interest. Another way to show early interest in a specialty is to volunteer, work, or do research in that field.
6. You will probably need to get either 3 letters of recommendation from science professors or science professors input into a committee letter of recommendation for medical school. This may or may not be a factor in choosing a major. If you volunteer in a science professor's lab, visit them in office hours, or TA you can probably build a fine relationship regardless of your major.
7. As debatable as it is, my personal experience - as a tutor, mentor, and student - has been that science professors understand how important it is for a premed to get good grades. Sometimes professors in other majors are less sympathetic about the need for good grades.
8. Many majors are related to, or would compliment, some or all medical fields: Sports medicine, psychology, communications, education, physical fitness, marketing (transferable skills), etc.
9. IMO, it's often easier to do well in a major you like a lot. Undergrad is a special, often once in a lifetime, opportunity to study something in depth. IMO, you should pick something you truly like.
10. Money can be a limiting factor when applying for medical school. MCAT books, tutors if necessary, time off work, airplane tickets to medical school interviews, application fees can all be very expensive. Finances have kept people out of medical school before. Some people choose a major that they know is likely to get them a job and money. (Sometimes there's a gap, in time, between undergraduate school and medical school. This tends to be the case if you didn't take the MCAT during the summer of your junior year.) MCAT score and grades can boil down to whether or not you can financially afford quality tutoring, books, time off work, etc.
11. ADCOMs often want to see the full list of what you've accomplished every single year. Certain majors will make it easier to have an impressive job. (Of course, a job is just one way out of many ways, to show achievement.) Regardless of major, remember to keep track of all regular EC's, jobs, and achievements.
12. Whatever you major in, try to be distinct from most other applicants in some way. I've heard over and over again from ADCOMs and students that too much conformity is undesirable (aka the "clone" factor). If you wanted to be a very sports and psychology focused person, with a great personality, I think that could set you apart in a positive way. Perhaps you could be a peer-counselor (if your college has that), play sports, be a personal fitness trainer, or a coach as an extracurricular.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I majored in something that both interested me and challenged me, and I am glad that I decided to do so. The only comments I've gotten from interviewers about my major have been, "Oh, geez, chemistry? PChem sounds awful." and that's been that haha

Major in a good GPA with appropriate medical school pre-reqs.