Help Me Deicide: Should I re-new my SIS membership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Got the renewal notice. I've been a member since I was resident. Those of you who have let your membership lapse, why? Those who continue to re-up, why?

Members don't see this ad.

Got the renewal notice. I've been a member since I was resident. Those of you who have let your membership lapse, why? Those who continue to re-up, why?
-The peds-pal discount
-I suppose I should be a part of a peer organization, SIS is currently most like-minded for me

Members don't see this ad :)
I let my ASA membership lapse. I was going to let my state society membership lapse as well but my old chair and residency friends browbeat me into doing it. Communication lapsed after they got their money. Funny how that works.

i retired. still got my licenses only because they have not expired yet. no need for AMA CMA ISI NASS anymore. Still a member of the NRA and Sierra Club. i doubt i would re-up with ISI even if it was free of charge.

What's the beef between SIS and ASIPP? There's always bad blood between these organizations at a time when they should be pulling together.

I think that is part of it. There are also broad approach differences- ASIPP tends to use its internal resources and membership to attack a problem whereas SIS is frequently working collaboratively with a number of other organizations to achieve change. SIS is clearly more conservative, not giving any credence to procedures or interventions that do not have high level literature to support their use. ASIPP is more liberal, willing to consider and teach procedures that have little literature support, but may help patients (or may not). ASIPP paints with a broad stroke, viewing pain medicine as a synthesis of different approaches that include medications (and the reality of physicians prescribing opioids), whereas SIS tends to focus solely on procedures and basic science. What the SIS does, they do extremely well- and the same can be said for ASIPP with their political agenda and broad strokes. I don't think you can compare effectiveness of the two organizations because they operate in different (but somewhat overlapping) spheres of influence. But they do represent us better than many other pain related organizations (ASA, ASRA, IARS, AAPManagement, etc.).

Reactions: 4 users
I think that is part of it. There are also broad approach differences- ASIPP tends to use its internal resources and membership to attack a problem whereas SIS is frequently working collaboratively with a number of other organizations to achieve change. SIS is clearly more conservative, not giving any credence to procedures or interventions that do not have high level literature to support their use. ASIPP is more liberal, willing to consider and teach procedures that have little literature support, but may help patients (or may not). ASIPP paints with a broad stroke, viewing pain medicine as a synthesis of different approaches that include medications (and the reality of physicians prescribing opioids), whereas SIS tends to focus solely on procedures and basic science. What the SIS does, they do extremely well- and the same can be said for ASIPP with their political agenda and broad strokes. I don't think you can compare effectiveness of the two organizations because they operate in different (but somewhat overlapping) spheres of influence. But they do represent us better than many other pain related organizations (ASA, ASRA, IARS, AAPManagement, etc.).

I would suspect that the ASIPP membership on this board is even lower than SIS.

Reactions: 1 user
SIS.

Read Laxs letter in pain medicine this month, then Nik and Engels retort.

Having practiced in the same towns as Lax for more than 20 years( Paducah and Marion, Illinois) I find it odd he is commenting on RFA since he does not do it nor SCS as of last year. He does medial branch blocks instead, repeated about every 6 weeks

Having practiced in the same towns as Lax for more than 20 years( Paducah and Marion, Illinois) I find it odd he is commenting on RFA since he does not do it nor SCS as of last year. He does medial branch blocks instead, repeated about every 6 weeks

sounds like a money grab on the MBB. I wonder if he does those with steroid. In any case doing MBB 8 times a year pays a lot more in facility fees than 2 unilateral RF. Still ethically wrong, and not allowed by medicare in many states.

I don't understand why he doesn't do SCS at all. Some patients just need it and it still pays well if done in ASC that you own, and I'm sure he owns his ASC.

sounds like a money grab on the MBB. I wonder if he does those with steroid. In any case doing MBB 8 times a year pays a lot more in facility fees than 2 unilateral RF. Still ethically wrong, and not allowed by medicare in many states.

I don't understand why he doesn't do SCS at all. Some patients just need it and it still pays well if done in ASC that you own, and I'm sure he owns his ASC.

he has conjured up the idea of therapeutic MBBs. published studies on it. the studies DID include both with steroids and without. shameful