Help Me Eliminate a Few Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirtip

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Thanks for all of your help in composing my list of schools to apply to... but now I have a few too many on my list. I've been trying to eliminate 4-5 schools for a while now, and I'm having a hard time. Anyone have any insight on which schools I should drop and why?

My stats: 3.51 cGPA/3.51 sGPA/33 MCAT

EC: 2 years research, volunteering as EMT for uninsured community, 2 years hospital volunteering, worked a week long cancer camp, 4 years as a manager at a campus job, a few small other things

Michigan Resident - Undergrad at University of Michigan

Here's my list... I'm hoping to trim it to around 20:

Central Michigan University

Michigan State University

Oakland University

University of Michigan

Western Michigan University

Wayne State University

Rush University

Loyola

Creighton

VCU

Medical College of Wisconsin

University of Wisconsin

Drexel

Wake Forest

University of Miami

Tulane University

University of Toledo

Penn State

New York Medical College

Jefferson Medical College

Albany Medical College

George Washington University

USF

Tufts

Temple

EVMS

Members don't see this ad.

And USF, isn't it mostly IS? Same with Wisconsin, mostly IS for Madison.

Also NYMC received over 12,000 apps this year (primary at least), might not be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Miami and GW.

Would you mind explaining your reasoning for Miami? I know its OOS public but I think its a pretty good school and I like the idea of going to school there. Their stats are somewhat in line with mine and they accepted almost 100 OOS students last year. Just wondering why you were thinking that would be a good one to drop. Thanks!

And USF, isn't it mostly IS? Same with Wisconsin, mostly IS for Madison.

Also NYMC received over 12,000 apps this year (primary at least), might not be worth it.

Thanks for the input! I guess I have a general question for OOS applications. I'll use USF as an example. Last year USF accepted almost 180 students - 43 of them were OOS. Their median stats were 3.7 cGPA and 31 MCAT. So my questions is... if you had to guess... what do you think the median stats for the OOS accepted students were? Much higher than the overall median? Much higher than my stats?

I suppose I might need to be more selective with schools based on their OOS numbers.

As for Wisconsin, I am going to apply because I have some loose connections to the admissions department there.

I'll consider dropping NYMC though, thank you.

Thanks for the input! I guess I have a general question for OOS applications. I'll use USF as an example. Last year USF accepted almost 180 students - 43 of them were OOS. Their median stats were 3.7 cGPA and 31 MCAT. So my questions is... if you had to guess... what do you think the median stats for the OOS accepted students were? Much higher than the overall median? Much higher than my stats?

I suppose I might need to be more selective with schools based on their OOS numbers.

As for Wisconsin, I am going to apply because I have some loose connections to the admissions department there.

I'll consider dropping NYMC though, thank you.

I think they probably have some connection to the school or state, but again I'm not sure. I remember researching the schools and not finding them worth it, except for Miami.

Any reason why I don't see U of Minn on many people's lists even when they have a lot of mid west schools? Are they not OOS friendly? Just curious as I'm a Minn resident and am applying there and kind of curious as to out of states think of the school.

Hey everyone. Thanks for all of your help in composing my list of schools to apply to... but now I have a few too many on my list. I've been trying to eliminate 4-5 schools for a while now, and I'm having a hard time. Anyone have any insight on which schools I should drop and why?

My stats: 3.51 cGPA/3.51 sGPA/33 MCAT

EC: 2 years research, volunteering as EMT for uninsured community, 2 years hospital volunteering, worked a week long cancer camp, 4 years as a manager at a campus job, a few small other things

Michigan Resident - Undergrad at University of Michigan

Here's my list... I'm hoping to trim it to around 20:

Central Michigan University

Michigan State University

Oakland University

University of Michigan

Western Michigan University

Wayne State University

Rush University

Loyola

Creighton

VCU

Medical College of Wisconsin

University of Wisconsin

Drexel

Wake Forest

University of Miami

Tulane University

University of Toledo

Penn State

New York Medical College

Jefferson Medical College

Albany Medical College

George Washington University

USF

Tufts

Temple

EVMS

Any reason why I don't see U of Minn on many people's lists even when they have a lot of mid west schools? Are they not OOS friendly? Just curious as I'm a Minn resident and am applying there and kind of curious as to out of states think of the school.

I left it off my list because they only accept around 35 OOS out of their 230 total.

Would you mind explaining your reasoning for Miami? I know its OOS public but I think its a pretty good school and I like the idea of going to school there. Their stats are somewhat in line with mine and they accepted almost 100 OOS students last year. Just wondering why you were thinking that would be a good one to drop. Thanks!
The OOS students that have been accepted to Miller this year (whose stats I have access to,at least) were all at the top of their stat range. This could be due to my sampling bias but I suspect that their OOS students are at the higher end of their stat range. Other than that, it seems like an acceptable choice for you.

Doesn't minnesota have some reciprocity agreement with wisconsin? Meaning alot of the OOS you see going to UMinn may be from Wisconsin. At least thats what my thought is.

Doesn't minnesota have some reciprocity agreement with wisconsin? Meaning alot of the OOS you see going to UMinn may be from Wisconsin. At least thats what my thought is.
Not for graduate school. Only for undergrad