help me figure out my schedule: immunology vs plasticity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

common man

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm an engineering major with Bs on the pre-med pre-reqs. this year i'm taking upper level science courses to prove myself. in the fall i took biochemistry (B+), systems neuroscience (A-), and biochemistry of embryogenesis (A).

this spring i'm taking
cellular / molecular neuroscience
neurobiology of disease
plasticity / repair / development
organic chemistry lab
victorian literature
volunteering + mcat studying.

however, will it make a big difference if i add immunology into the mix or if i replace plasticity with immunology? i'd rather stick with my schedule as is if there is a negligble difference.

i'm interested in the neuroscience classes because i like them and the instructors are really good. however, i'm guessing immunology is more recognizable to med schools and therefore makes a louder statement. i don't care about which one will "help" in medical school because i think they will all help the "thinking process". i can handle immunology its just this semester it'd be a burden because i'm already busy studying for mcats.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i appreciate your concise response. if it's unnecessary then screw it! i'll take immuno in med school and won't have any trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth, immuno at my school was excellent. It was really interesting (or so I thought), enough so that I wound up studying way more for that class than other ones and easily walked out with an A. Not only that, but I had a good talk with an M2 friend of mine (Rush student) about immuno when I was studying for the final, and I was keeping up with her pretty well (even correcting her on certain things). Personally, I think it's kind of nice to know I have a decent grasp on immuno now. The only question remains as to whether or not I'll remember it in a year, and that answer is likely no.

For what it's worth, immuno at my school was excellent. It was really interesting (or so I thought), enough so that I wound up studying way more for that class than other ones and easily walked out with an A. Not only that, but I had a good talk with an M2 friend of mine (Rush student) about immuno when I was studying for the final, and I was keeping up with her pretty well (even correcting her on certain things). Personally, I think it's kind of nice to know I have a decent grasp on immuno now. The only question remains as to whether or not I'll remember it in a year, and that answer is likely no.

i also find immuno to be interesting but it's time consuming and i prefer not have to deal with it this term (my final college semester). i'm not afraid of taking it the first time in medical school. i'm only worried that taking plasticity (a neuroscience course in addition to the other neuro courses i'm taking) will look less "impressive" and "recognizable" than immuno to the adcoms. otherwise, in terms of rigor and helping with with scientific thinking, the plasticity class is equally beneficial to me (but adcoms may not agree). immuno is not conceptually hard at all IMO - it's just a lot of stuff to memorize - sort of like having to eat a lot of pancakes. normally i trust my gut and worry less about the perception of adcoms but this is my final semester.

I've never heard of a Plasticity class before. Take it.

Wait, is this Neuroplasticity, or Physics Plasticity?

I've never heard of a Plasticity class before. Take it.

it's a class with 3 modules: development of brain during embryonic stage e.g. neural tube / notochord; then plasticity - strengthening of neural circuits such as in the case of learning and memory ; then repair in the event of injury / disease. this class is cool and requires critical thinking but too bad it is not as easy to recognize as a class like immuno.

i also find immuno to be interesting but it's time consuming and i prefer not have to deal with it this term (my final college semester). i'm not afraid of taking it the first time in medical school. i'm only worried that taking plasticity (a neuroscience course in addition to the other neuro courses i'm taking) will look less "impressive" and "recognizable" than immuno to the adcoms. otherwise, in terms of rigor and helping with with scientific thinking, the plasticity class is equally beneficial to me (but adcoms may not agree). immuno is not conceptually hard at all IMO - it's just a lot of stuff to memorize - sort of like having to eat a lot of pancakes. normally i trust my gut and worry less about the perception of adcoms but this is my final semester.

Honestly, I think Plasticity sounds more impressive than Immunology (from what I've learned about plasticity - probably different than what you're talking about). Immunology isn't difficult at all, it's just a lot of memorizing like you had said. I don't think one over the other is really going to raise any eyebrows, personally.

it's a class with 3 modules: development of brain during embryonic stage e.g. neural tube / notochord; then plasticity - strengthening of neural circuits such as in the case of learning and memory ; then repair in the event of injury / disease. this class is cool and requires critical thinking but too bad it is not as easy to recognize as a class like immuno.

Wow that class sounds AMAZING. Do not drop that class. As a former neurobio major, I am so jealous that your school has an entire course dedicated to plasticity!

Definitely don't take immunology--your semester sounds intense enough as it is. For what it's worth, I think adcom members consider neuroscience classes to be just as impressive as other bio classes. Also, neuro is slightly more unique and suggests that you may have interdisciplinary interests (because neuroscience can be a pretty interdisciplinary field).

If taking immuno is like eating a lot of pancakes, then maybe you should try to just savor the complex crepe of plasticity.

thank you guys very much! i conclude that it is not a big deal whether i take immuno or neuroplasticity. in that case i'll stick with neuroplasticity. i'll get a lot more out of the course anyway.

Boyyy you better take that class!!!
Alot of people take immuno though it's nothing special plus you learn the jist of it at med school.
Take Plasticity. I don't think you would regret it. I know I would take it.