Help me help my wife! 36 MCAT, 3.7GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butterfliez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a trad student applying this coming cycle and would like to get some input on my schools list. I'm a white Iowa resident, but don't need to be tied down to the Midwest. Also, I'm married and my wife will be applying to art grad school at whichever schools I apply to.

cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 36

EC's and Work Experience
  • 2 year full time proselytizing mission to 3rd world country
    • 200ish hrs community service abroad
  • 1000 hrs work as janitorial supervisor
  • 500 hrs work in mentally disabled group home
  • 400 hrs paid biology tutor
  • 700 hrs paid O chem TA
  • 800 hrs research experience
    • 2 posters presentations and 1 submitted journal pub as 2nd author
  • 200 hrs hospital ED volunteer
  • 60 hrs shadowing various specialties
  • 300 hrs miscellaneous church responsibilities (leadership, teaching)

I'd like to apply to about 20 schools not including the Texas Schools.
  • University of Iowa
  • Uniformed Service University
  • Louisville
  • Case Western
  • University of Southern CA
  • Emory
  • St. Louis
  • New York Down State
  • University of Wisconsin
  • Ohio State
  • All the Texas Schools
  • Stanford
  • Northwestern
  • Mayo
  • Vanderbilt

Thanks for helping. I'd love to be able to narrow my list down so my wife can have an idea of where to apply to grad school. Let me know if you have any other ideas of where to apply.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why not apply to all the med schools in Chicago and not just NU? Your wife would have a wide variety of grad opportunities in Chicago.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd delete the TX schools; TX is like CA where 90%+ of the acceptees are in-state. I suggest adding all PA schools and all IL schools except SIU. Throw in GWU and Georgetown as well.

I'd like to apply to about 20 schools not including the Texas Schools.
  • University of Iowa
  • Uniformed Service University
  • Louisville
  • Case Western
  • University of Southern CA
  • Emory
  • St. Louis
  • New York Down State
  • University of Wisconsin
  • Ohio State
  • All the Texas Schools
  • Stanford
  • Northwestern
  • Mayo
  • Vanderbilt

Thanks for helping. I'd love to be able to narrow my list down so my wife can have an idea of where to apply to grad school. Let me know if you have any other ideas of where to apply.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies.

Why not apply to all the med schools in Chicago and not just NU? Your wife would have a wide variety of grad opportunities in Chicago.

This is a great idea. I'll add those to the list. Lots of opportunities in the bigger cities.

I'd delete the TX schools; TX is like CA where 90%+ of the acceptees are in-state. I suggest adding all PA schools and all IL schools except SIU. Throw in GWU and Georgetown as well.

I'm not sure about the TX schools. MSAR says that they have a decent OOS matriculant : OOS applicant ratio. For example Texas Tech in Lubbock has only 590 OOS applicants but 15 matriculate. Do you know if the schools favor those with in-state ties for those spots?

I like the IL and PA school advice. Big cities = more opportunities. Thanks for your input!

Beleive me, in Lubbock, there will not be any opportunities. Do you think 15/590 is a realistic odds ratio? More importantly, compare # OOS/# seats. Not very realstic odds?

I'm not sure about the TX schools. MSAR says that they have a decent OOS matriculant : OOS applicant ratio. For example Texas Tech in Lubbock has only 590 OOS applicants but 15 matriculate. Do you know if the schools favor those with in-state ties for those spots?

I like the IL and PA school advice. Big cities = more opportunities. Thanks for your input!

Beleive me, in Lubbock, there will not be any opportunities. Do you think 15/590 is a realistic odds ratio? More importantly, compare # OOS/# seats. Not very realstic odds?

Am I just looking at it wrong? I feel like I would have a better chance of standing out among 590 applicants than say close to 13,000 at Georgetown. It makes sense though to compare the # of seats like you said. I guess I'm just confused by it. I'll definitely take your advice though and look at the % from OOS.

Am I just looking at it wrong? I feel like I would have a better chance of standing out among 590 applicants than say close to 13,000 at Georgetown. It makes sense though to compare the # of seats like you said. I guess I'm just confused by it. I'll definitely take your advice though and look at the % from OOS.
Lubbock has a strong primary care focus and they are looking to recruit doctors that will stay there since it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. It might help to show you love rural stuff in order to increase your chances. It's one of my top schools because of their 3 year FMAT program.

Lubbock has a strong primary care focus and they are looking to recruit doctors that will stay there since it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. It might help to show you love rural stuff in order to increase your chances. It's one of my top schools because of their 3 year FMAT program.
It IS in the middle of nowhwere. At least 5 hours to the nearest major city.

Whoah - your stats are AMAZING!!!!!!! Your GPA is perfect, your MCAT is AMAZING - I think that you will have a really strong chance of getting accepted into medical school.

I hope the best for you and your wife.