Help Me Make a List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dented Fender

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm one year out of college, looking to apply next year. Figure it's time to start looking at schools, but I'm not sure where to start.

NY resident (or IL? not sure how that's decided), GPA 3.6ish, MCAT 44, no research experience. I come from an EMS background: four years volunteer, plus some time on a paid truck. Also taught CFR/first-aid classes for a few years while in college.

Where should I be looking? Something near NY, Boston, or Chicago would be ideal (friends & family nearby), but travel's okay too. I've heard the SUNY's are a great deal, so they're on the list. Are there any other schools that might have low tuition or financial aid?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Sky is the limit. With good ECs you would be competitive for scholarships at many top schools.
For the cities you named:
UChicago
Northwestern
Rush
Loyola
Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
Einstein
Harvard
BU
Tufts
I'd consider other schools too. A 44 really will open doors.

With a 44, wherever you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My god man, if you just had a 3.8 GPA And better ECs you'd be the poster boy for pre meds

Concur!!!! Suggest ALL NY state schools, and all ILL schools, except SIU if you're not from southern ILL.

Sky is the limit. With good ECs you would be competitive for scholarships at many top schools.
For the cities you named:
UChicago
Northwestern
Rush
Loyola
Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
Einstein
Harvard
BU
Tufts
I'd consider other schools too. A 44 really will open doors.

I feel like with a 44, couldn't you pretty much write your own ticket? I'm sure Kaplan, Princeton Review will be knocking down your door to do MCAT teaching...

I feel like with a 44, couldn't you pretty much write your own ticket? I'm sure Kaplan, Princeton Review will be knocking down your door to do MCAT teaching...

The cutoff is usually 12/11/12 for all the companies, but great test-takers don't necessarily make great teachers ;) It can be a significant challenge to explain material you find "easy/intuitive" to students who do not. Keep in mind many people who are contacting the big companies for tutoring have rather low diagnostics.

Good point zzxxzz. How many people a year even get a 44 though? Like this is freakin amazing! I'm so jealous. Donate me some of your points OP lol