DO Help me make my 15 school list!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrModern

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am at the ending stage of selecting DO schools right now.
My GPA is a 3.1, MCAT is 29 (12 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS)

I have decent extracurricular activities:
-Shadowed doctor
-2 publications with three separate research experiences.
-Pre-med chapter officer for consecutive years
-Ambassador of 3rd world country outreach program. Actually traveled to 3rd world countries to shadow doctors and interact with locals
-Founded a healthcare initiative organization and led medical students lobby for healthcare reform in the CA capitol
-Camp counselor for children with muscular dystrophy.
-2000+ volunteer hours
-Hospital work
-Tutored underprivileged high school students.

LOR:
2 Strong Science Professor, 1 non-science, 2 MD doctors.

Very very strong PS

These 12 schools are on my applying list:
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN(LMUDCOM)
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS(WCUCOM)
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, WA(PNUHSCOM)
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Lebanon, OR(WUHSCOM)
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV(WVSOM)
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine, AL (ACOM)
Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC (CUSOM)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Auburn, AL (EVCOM)
Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, GA (GCPCOM)
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine, VA (LUCOM)
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN(MUCOM)

I need 3-5more schools, preferably ones that doesn't have strict GPA cutoff.
Suggestions please! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So your GPA is lower than average but your MCAT is high. The ECs are pretty interesting.

Worth a shot at KCOM, SOMA (if you're into the CHC and underserved thing), DMU, AZCOM (if you don't mind the tuition), NSU, Western U, VCOM, PCOM.

There is also the Touro locations and LECOM.

Reactions: 2 users
Now this is tough,

Solid ECs and Solid MCAT? I would say five years ago you could have gotten into a DO program for sure, but they have gotten much more competative over the years.

Suggest the lowerst of the low DO programs, but you might be surprised with the interviews you get, but I also wouldn't be surprised if u didn't get in anywhere. What is your science gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM-E
Touro Ny
Touro Nv
Touro Ca
NSU
Soma
KCOM
AZCOM
WVSOM

If you are a CA resident I would delete WCU. I also think your numbers (assume sci GPA is similar) and overall app should be good enough to avoid LUCOM.

Consider deleting RVU as well, they are very numbers obsessed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
LECOM-E
Touro Ny
Touro Nv
Touro Ca
NSU
Soma
KCOM
AZCOM
WVSOM

If you are a CA resident I would delete WCU. I also think your numbers (assume sci GPA is similar) and overall app should be good enough to avoid LUCOM.

Consider deleting RVU as well, they are very numbers obsessed.

User3, were you accepted into medical school?

I'd add LECOM, especially if you like the idea of PBL.

Add ATSU-SOMA if you like the curriculum and mission.

Consider dropping PNWU unless you're from the region.

I don't mean to have this question taken in the wrong way but did you have much of a social life in ug?

I'd add LECOM, especially if you like the idea of PBL.

Add ATSU-SOMA if you like the curriculum and mission.

Consider dropping PNWU unless you're from the region.
Since I didn't shadow DO doctors yet. I am lacking DO LOR at the moment.
Since Lecom requires DO LOR. I don't think I have chance of getting in now.
I do intend to shadow one the next couple of days. I am sending email and calling every day, fingers crossed.

I'm a California resident. Would the regional preference of PNWU hold against me??

@csx I had a decent social life :D

I do intend to shadow one the next couple of days. I am sending email and calling every day, fingers crossed.

I'm a California resident. Would the regional preference of PNWU hold against me??

I don't think you'll get in anywhere without that DO letter. Get on it!

You know you can interview at LECOM and get a letter from a DO there right?

I don't think you'll get in anywhere without that DO letter. Get on it!

whut.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
You know you can interview at LECOM and get a letter from a DO there right?

whut.jpg
Plenty of schools won't interview without the letter :O. and even then, a lot of schools will accept you but say they won't allow you in without the letter.

Plenty of schools won't interview without the letter :O. and even then, a lot of schools will accept you but say they won't allow you in without the letter.

I think your crackpipe might be contaminated... with crack.

How do you get accepted without being complete?

I know this is true for LECOM. Although they require a DO letter, if you do get an interview from the school and happen to not have one from an osteopath, you can contact their admission staff to help you arrange a meet with one of their physician who will then write one for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your crackpipe might be contaminated... with crack.

How do you get accepted without being complete?
I've got two friends who are currently accepted to schools. And they said that if they don't present a letter of rec from a DO come orientation, they'll give up my friends spots.

I've got two friends who are currently accepted to schools. And they said that if they don't present a letter of rec from a DO come orientation, they'll give up my friends spots.
The majority of DO schools do not require a DO letter, although they are typically highly recommended... there are a few that do (like LECOM) but these schools typically also offer to have you meet a DO on the day of the interview and get a letter at that point. So either your friends are flat out lying or you've misunderstood them somehow.

Maybe I'm wrong. What schools are these?

They usually don't make a decision on your application without having the LORs on hand.

LECOM gives you a DO LOR if you don't have one. They organize for you to have lunch with one of their DOs during interview day. You just need to let them know in advance.

PNWU does give regional preference, but that shouldn't be equated to mean they only accept people from that region. I have seen plenty of CA people get interviews there.

You should apply to WesternU in Oregon. As someone that got into the Pomona campus with a 3.2 (albeit 3.6 science), I can tell you first hand that admissions are holistic and your great EC will shine.

I agree with you, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Having a DO LOR is always better than not having one.

I think the best course of action for me now is to submit my primary application this week, which doesn't have the DO shadowing activity. (This way I can be part of the early applicant pool)
Then I'll scramble to shadow a DO either this week/ next week.
When I am about to submit my secondaries, I should have the DO LOR at hand.

@AlbinoHawk DO Do you know the MCAT score of this person? I'm going to apply there regardless. It'll be my reach school since my GPA is not up to the par.

You can remove Liberty.

If you haven't shadowed a DO go and do that now.

VCOM, lecom-b + E, should be added.

Add in PCOM, DMU, and CCOM or Western for good effect.

If you still have room add another school that you think you might want to attend, ex. NSU.

Maybe I'm wrong. What schools are these?

They usually don't make a decision on your application without having the LORs on hand.

What you're saying about getting a DO LOR from LECOM at the interview is only true (as far as I have seen/heard) at LECOM-B. You are expected to have an LOR by the time you interview at LECOM-E, but they do usually give you some leeway (like 1-2 wks) to get one in if you don't have it in by then.

That said, OP can definitely get one between now and when/if they are offered an interview. Worst case scenario, they apply and don't attend the interview if they haven't managed to find a DO to write them a letter by then.

Goro suggests:
Touro-NV
Western
Touro-CA
WVCOM
AT Still-AZ

Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN(LMUDCOM)
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, WA(PNUHSCOM)

I need 6-10 more schools, preferably ones that doesn't have strict GPA cutoff.
Suggestions please! :D[/QUOTE]

What you're saying about getting a DO LOR from LECOM at the interview is only true (as far as I have seen/heard) at LECOM-B. You are expected to have an LOR by the time you interview at LECOM-E, but they do usually give you some leeway (like 1-2 wks) to get one in if you don't have it in by then.

That said, OP can definitely get one between now and when/if they are offered an interview. Worst case scenario, they apply and don't attend the interview if they haven't managed to find a DO to write them a letter by then.

can you get the DO LOR from LECOM-B and tell them to transfer it to LECOM-E? LOLZ im serious by the way because around my areas, there are no DOs practicing!

can you get the DO LOR from LECOM-B and tell them to transfer it to LECOM-E? LOLZ im serious by the way because around my areas, there are no DOs practicing!

I traveled 5 hours for a DO letter.

How far out have you searched?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I traveled 5 hours for a DO letter.

How far out have you searched?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Just got a standing offer to shadow a DO doctor in two weeks
And will be shadowing for consecutive hours 3 days a week!!!
So I'm going to submit my application at the end of this week.
Update my application as the secondaries roll in, and submit additional LOR for DO doctor. :D

Also, thanks to everyone's school suggestions.
I have added Western COM of OR, Edward VCOM, and West Virginia School of Osteo to the list.

Final note: I just learned that my friend with a 3.0 cpa 3.0 sgpa, and 29 MCAT with mediocre EC got into Western College of Osteo. So IT CAN BE DONE!!!
This makes sense because when colleges have a 3.5 GPA average, it means there are 34% of the applicants are below one standard deviation of the grade. And 47% of the applicants are below two standard deviation of the grade.
If 3.5 GPA were the bare minimum any osteopathic school would accept, then the average should be shifted upwards by a drastic margin.

Just got a standing offer to shadow a DO doctor in two weeks
And will be shadowing for consecutive hours 3 days a week!!!
So I'm going to submit my application at the end of this week.
Update my application as the secondaries roll in, and submit additional LOR for DO doctor. :D

Also, thanks to everyone's school suggestions.
I have added Western COM of OR, Edward VCOM, and West Virginia School of Osteo to the list.

Final note: I just learned that my friend with a 3.0 cpa 3.0 sgpa, and 29 MCAT with mediocre EC got into Western College of Osteo. So IT CAN BE DONE!!!
This makes sense because when colleges have a 3.5 GPA average, it means there are 34% of the applicants are below one standard deviation of the grade. And 47% of the applicants are below two standard deviation of the grade.
If 3.5 GPA were the bare minimum any osteopathic school would accept, then the average should be shifted upwards by a drastic margin.

I'm going to give you a little insight but you have to promise me it will stay between us, this public forum, and any stranger who finds this through a Google search.

Numbers don't tell you everything. Western U really cares if you understand their mission and it parallels your view of medicine.

You should apply to WesternU in Oregon. As someone that got into the Pomona campus with a 3.2 (albeit 3.6 science), I can tell you first hand that admissions are holistic and your great EC will shine.
When you have such a high sGPA, the cGPA is almost meaningless as long as it above 3.0 IMO. That was king of my situation and no one questioned me about it...

Hi everyone, I am at the ending stage of selecting DO schools right now.
My GPA is a 3.1, MCAT is 29 (12 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS)

I have decent extracurricular activities:
-Shadowed doctor
-2 publications with three separate research experiences.
-Pre-med chapter officer for consecutive years
-Ambassador of 3rd world country outreach program. Actually traveled to 3rd world countries to shadow doctors and interact with locals
-Founded a healthcare initiative organization and led medical students lobby for healthcare reform in the CA capitol
-Camp counselor for children with muscular dystrophy.
-2000+ volunteer hours
-Hospital work
-Tutored underprivileged high school students.

LOR:
2 Strong Science Professor, 1 non-science, 2 MD doctors.

Very very strong PS

These 12 schools are on my applying list:
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Lebanon, OR(WUHSCOM)
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV(WVSOM)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Auburn, AL (EVCOM)

I need 3-5more schools, preferably ones that doesn't have strict GPA cutoff.
Suggestions please! :D
Def apply to MSUCOM - although expensive

When you have such a high sGPA, the cGPA is almost meaningless as long as it above 3.0 IMO. That was king of my situation and no one questioned me about it...
What were your stats? (gpa, mcat)
II and acceptance from which schools?

Def apply to MSUCOM - although expensive
MSUCOM is very expansive for OS with average gpa of 3.6. Also, they have not interviewed/ accepted anyone with my stat according to the "underdawg thread".

So chances are that I'm not going to apply there.