Help me narrow my list? 3.55 sGPA 3.60cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justvinsane

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you guys help me narrow down my list? Basically, the only thing I've done so far is take away all the DO schools and some schools that I know are out of reach and areas I want to stay away from. I'm a NJ resident, but go to school in RI. Most of my schools are in the NE but I wouldn't mind going a little bit west for a change of scenery.

stats:
3.55 science gpa, 3.60 cum gpa
I took the mcat May 19 so I won't have my scores back for a little bit, but my practice tests were around a 30

I've worked as a tutor the past 2 years (leadership position), led a freshmen retreat the past 2 years (directed 1 of them), treasurer for the men's club volleyball team, and this upcoming September I'm helping lead a new service immersion program for incoming freshman.

I've been a volunteer EMT in my home town from my junior year in high school until this past summer (had to quit because didn't spend enough time at home), and I went on a service trip this past winter break. I spent last summer doing research in NYC and the past year doing research for my professor. I'm also doing research for my professor this summer (hopefully get a paper published by the end of this summer). Also, I spent a days in Aug last year shadowing my pediatrician (probably around 30 hours).

Just going through the MSAR, here's my list after taking away some reaches/DO's/areas of the US that aren't really attractive to me:

Albany
BU (probably big reach)
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
Georgetown (is it even worth applying)
Hofstra
Jefferson
Loyola Chicago
NYMC
Ohio
Rush
Stony Brook
Temple
Commonwealth
Tulane
Cincinnati
both UMDNJs
VCU
VTech
Wake Forest
Wright

Also, can you help me determine which schools place a bigger emphasis on service rather than research?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When is your MCAT return date? That is, obviously, going to be a major piece

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Ohio is a DO school. You might have been thinking of Ohio State, which would probably be a reach with your stats. If you want another Ohio school, look into Toledo.

With Georgetown, your stats are probably in range but you need to have very strong community service record. Also keep in mind that they get 12,000+ applicants and their secondary costs $150.

Bump...

I'm taking out BU and Georgetown because of my low MCATs. Anybody else?