Help me rank these schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowcocopuffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I posted in the wrong forum previously...so here it goes agaiin:

I am interested in the following schools.
Help me rank them (most to least desirable~primarily for reputation).
How about in terms of residencies/opportunities in addition to reputation?

Wake Forest
Boston University
Virginia Commonwealth
Saint Louis University
Rosalind Franklin
MCW
Utah
USC
Hofstra
Oakland University
Albert Einstein
Drexel
NYMC
George Washington

Members don't see this ad.

Wake Forest
Boston University
Virginia Commonwealth
Saint Louis University
Rosalind Franklin
MCW
Utah
USC
Hofstra
Oakland University
Albert Einstein
Drexel
NYMC
George Washington

Might I suggest getting into a couple of them before doing this? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

Wake Forest
Boston University
Virginia Commonwealth
Saint Louis University
Rosalind Franklin
MCW
Utah
USC
Hofstra
Oakland University
Albert Einstein
Drexel
NYMC
George Washington

USC>Wake Forest=Albert Einstein>SLU=BU>VCU>MCW>Utah>NYMC>GW>Drexel>RFU

Not sure about Oakland and Hofstra.

Wake Forest
Boston University
Virginia Commonwealth
Saint Louis University
Rosalind Franklin
MCW
Utah
USC
Hofstra
Oakland University
Albert Einstein
Drexel
NYMC
George Washington
I personally would rank as USC>BU>Einstein>MCW=NYMC>Wake Forest>VCU>Drexel>GW>RF=Oakland=Hofstra=Utah=SLU

What was your reasoning behind this?

Maybe you are not looking to hear this, but location matters. Being in a metropolitan definitely increases the diversity of patient population you see during clinical rotations. In the end, experience is the most important factor that sets good doctors apart from mediocre ones. Another reasoning is the reputation of the school and the affiliated teaching hospitals.

Maybe you are not looking to hear this, but location matters. Being in a metropolitan definitely increases the diversity of patient population you see during clinical rotations. In the end, experience is the most important factor that sets good doctors apart from mediocre ones. Another reasoning is the reputation of the school and the affiliated teaching hospitals.

So you ranked via location.
Thanks for the input.

While I do somewhat agree that location can play a part in the diversity of the patient population you encounter, I don't think it should be make or break. Med students are thrown into their third and fourth year knowing next to nothing. And seeing how we can only spend so little time with any one speciality or field, we are going to ultimately graduate from school, start our intern year, and be a deer in a headlight regardless of where you do those clinical rotations. You really learn your chosen field in residency.

I think you should choose your school based on what fits your own personal and professional goals. If you want to go to a top 10 school for its reputation, then that narrows your choices. If you want to stay in California because your girlfriend or boyfriend are there... that narrows your choices.

Ultimately, see where you get in. Visit each school (more than once if you have to) and make a decision based on what feels right to you. My buddy passed up on Harvard to attend NYU because he loved the school and thought it was a better fit for him personally.

USC>Wake Forest=Albert Einstein>SLU=BU>VCU>MCW>Utah>NYMC>GW>Drexel>RFU

Not sure about Oakland and Hofstra.

This ranking is absolutely awful, no offense.

USNEWs is far from perfect but should be a much better indicator than this one...

Just curious, why VCU>GW? I have interviews at both and love both. This would be a tough decision.

I personally would rank as USC=BU

Fixed. Have you guys seen BU's USMLE scores and match list? It's very impressive. USC + LA County and BU as safety net for under-served. Also, refer to USNEWS, as imperfect as it is.
Keck: 36, 92
Boston: 34, 47

Also, you should spend more time comparing teaching styles, rotations, research opportunities, time allotted for boards, location, affiliated hospitals, costs, etc.

This whole I'm going to this medical school because of reputation is absolutely stupid. All US medical schools are great, but some are better fit for people who are more interested in "X".

Last edited:

If you're really interested in this, I would purchase the US News ranking (~$20 I think) and then take a look at each school's profile. For each school they give a residency directors assessment score in research and primary care. This is probably the most worthwhile aspect of the rankings in my opinion.

Utah should be first on that list :) ..where else can you snowboard (in real mountains), hike, kayak, then wake board right after class

Utah should be first on that list :) ..where else can you snowboard (in real mountains), hike, kayak, then wake board right after class

No thank you. I would prefer a school with greater patient and student diversity, greater population density, and more balanced male:female ratio...among many other things lacking in Utah, no offense :cool:

No thank you. I would prefer a school with greater patient and student diversity, greater population density, and more balanced male:female ratio...among many other things lacking in Utah, no offense :cool:

Touche... and ya a good chunk is married w/ family at the school :(

Status
Not open for further replies.