Help me tailor a custom MCAT plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently have a 26 (10/7/9) MCAT. I went for a retake on a September 22 2015 test, but with only 6 weeks prep time and more material on the exam I opted to take a void. I felt fine about how I took the test, but couldn't have gotten higher than a 502, only marginal improvement. The only thing that sucks is now I don't having a score showing improvement from hard time spent studying this summer. I'm a DO applicant with 3.5 cgpa and 3.2 sgpa and have applied for the 2016 cycle, but was hoping to have a retake under my belt to solidify a couple options.

Now I'd really like to get down to business so I can get a retake as early as possible. I can sign up for a january 22nd or 23rd date, leaving me about 3 months to study which follows most of the plans. I think I'd like to follow more an SN2'ed approach to it this time around, but I am working about 32 hours a week. Content review over previous material is solid so feel I can tackle this with the time given. I am a bio and psych major and feel comfortable with the new section. I have the 2015 kaplan book set, and pre 2015 EK and kaplan. I don't mind writing in any of these and would just like to be done with this stupid thing!

It looks like the SN2'ed structure calls for a little over 3 months so would like to get going on this thing tomorrow. A more simple outline for my structure is what I should do on my days off work (8+ hr days) and what I can do with my morning or evening structured around work. I would also like to take limited practice tests, maybe 3, as the new exam is just too dang long. I lost my online kaplan course so am studying book only. A good recommendation on access to more passages, whether it is a website or passage books (did they make a new EK1001 for the 2015 MCAT) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals!

Members don't see this ad.

K don't need a custom plan, but can anyone direct me to some good passage material for the 2015 exam? I obviously have enough books for content review but need to practice passages and without a Kaplan course I don't know where to turn.

You have a great plan with the SN2ed method. Think about how many SDN posters have used that and gotten amazing scores (I am one of them). I know there has been a bunch of hoopla about new plans, but now that people have taken the new exam, it's pretty clear that the SN2ed plan, one that was the result of SN2 collecting all sorts of data and feedback, is still the best one out there.

I am studying for the January exam, and there is no way I will deviate from the SN2ed approach. It is the perfect balance of review and practice. The books he's chosen are the best. Here is exactly what you should be using.

Psychology and Sociology
EK and TBR (review and passages/questions from both)
Khan (passages after you've reviewed)

Biochemistry/Biology
EK for review if you know your stuff well OR TBR for review if you need more help
TBR for passages (they are the best)

Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry
TBR for review and passages (their new books are great)

General Chemistry (they didn't change this much for 2015)
EK for review if you know your stuff well OR TBR for review if you need more help
TBR for passages

Physics (they didn't change this much for 2015)
TBR for review
TBR for passages

CARS (they didn't change this much for 2015)
EK for strategies
TPR and EK for passages

Extras
Khan videos as needed
Khan passages (especially for psychology and sociology)
TPR Workbook

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you think I could get by on picking up the EK biochem and psych/soc and call it good? That would give me the the kaplan 2015, old EK books, EK biochem and EK psych/soc, and khan to supplement.

Again please help with passage based questions. The ones I currently have access to are the passages provided in the books I own and the khan passages available online. I would like something like EK 1001, but aren't those outdated and not updated for the current exam?

I believe the aamc practice tests would suffice, but more practice material in between practice tests would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Again please help with passage based questions. The ones I currently have access to are the passages provided in the books I own and the khan passages available online. I would like something like EK 1001, but aren't those outdated and not updated for the current exam?

I believe the aamc practice tests would suffice, but more practice material in between practice tests would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

I was crunched for time, and I realized EK 1001 and dissimilar practice exams were eating up time and changing how I studied. If you have tons of time, they may help with pointing out weaknesses in content understanding, but I'm still not sure I'd recommend them even then. I just used the AAMC Official Guide, Sample Test, all of the Question Packs (which were pretty massive), and EK 101 for CARS practice. The AAMC is releasing more material in November. I invested a lot of time in reviewing all of them after I was done, and I kept returning to them if I was doing content review in a specific area just to remind myself that this was how questions would be asked. Your practice materials influence how you study, and in my opinion, using materials that veer too far from the real thing can be risky in giving you a false sense of security. You'll feel like a fish out of water while taking this exam, and you want practice materials that accurately mirror that and guide your studying accordingly.

I was crunched for time, and I realized EK 1001 and dissimilar practice exams were eating up time and changing how I studied. If you have tons of time, they may help with pointing out weaknesses in content understanding, but I'm still not sure I'd recommend them even then. I just used the AAMC Official Guide, Sample Test, all of the Question Packs (which were pretty massive), and EK 101 for CARS practice. The AAMC is releasing more material in November. I invested a lot of time in reviewing all of them after I was done, and I kept returning to them if I was doing content review in a specific area just to remind myself that this was how questions would be asked. Your practice materials influence how you study, and in my opinion, using materials that veer too far from the real thing can be risky in giving you a false sense of security. You'll feel like a fish out of water while taking this exam, and you want practice materials that accurately mirror that and guide your studying accordingly.

Great advice rilte4. My first time studying I tried to cram as much material as I could and was using whatever source I could find, and the fish out of water analogy fits it perfect. I also have EK101. I guess I will wait for the new aamc material release in november. Do you think its worth picking up the new EK books? It would be $250 well spent. Or I could just use kaplan material for content review and aamc material for practice material.

I don't feel its too crunched. I just did 6 hard weeks under my belt followed with a voided practice exam. Now I have 3 months to study although its split between a full time job and multiple holidays coming up :heckyeah:

I went with Kaplan (but substituted TPR for Psych). I'm a nontrad who is many years removed from the prereqs, and my knowledge base was nil. Many people in that same situation said Kaplan was comprehensive without going overboard, so that's how I made that decision, and it worked out beautifully for me. People on here have had stellar results using EK as well. Pick whichever books suit your needs and your learning style, and then milk 'em for all they're worth.

I would recommend exactly what SN2ed recommends. You cannot beat TBR for reviewing the sciences. If you think some sections are dense, then skip them. What I found helped most and only TBR offered were tricks and techniques for answering questions while reviewing. Practicing with questions is the best way to learn the material. Taking copious notes, making notecards, skimming pages of definitions and facts, and looking at pictures does not prepare you well. You need to do sample questions as you read. I agree that everyone has their own preference, but you cannot argue with the results people getting using the SN2ed package. Just stick to that and you'll be fine.

I feel like the optimal strategy is EK for Reviewing Content + TBR Passages (with thorough, thorough review of answers because I feel the solutions is the key to learning the material more than chapters, especially if youre already doing EK chapter reading for content) + EK In class 30 min exams + 3-4 verbal each day with thorough review of each passage. This is my strategy and my $0.02, I am writing on 1/22.

Well swagster that means I would have to purchase the TBR package setting myself back a hefty chunk of change. If it has the best passages available then I'll rightfully purchase them.

I agree with all of you. It is not review, and it is not test taking strategy. Its the combination of both that leads to success. I don't want to spend months prepping review or practicing technique, I want MCAT like passages that utilize the knowledge I've accumulated and build on my test taking and reasoning skills. From the sound of it TBR offers the most passages with the best explanations which is what I'm looking for. I will check out TBR and AAMC today and decide what is the best value.

So my main concern now is if it is okay to go at this while working a full time job? I'm getting 32-40 hour weeks, but being supplemental sometimes I will have 3-4 days off in a row midweek with no other obligations. I hear differing opinions on this, some saying no way 3 dedicated months only, and others saying get what you can and as long as you feel confident you will be fine. That is the main thing I am shooting for this retake is confidence. The girl next to me was sitting straight up the whole time and cruised through the test and I can tell by her body language she didn't get lower than a 505. I had quite a bit of anxiety on my first take. On this void I felt the P+C was fairly tough as I didn't have all the equations memorized and concepts practiced, and CARS similarly tough, but felt okay about the rest. I'm shooting for a 505 and again applying DO only. Do you think with 120 hours study time I should be okay for a retake?

K this is really bugging me. I purchased the e-MCAT question pack. My goal is to do at least one passage from each section a day leading up to the exam. The thing is e-MCAT only allows 20 starts! Hopefully I can resume. If not what is some other good material with passage based questions I can slowly work at?

Thanks everyone.