This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do I have a chance in getting admitted anywhere?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Do another undergraduate degree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do a master's degree

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dentina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum I need help with my situation.
I am in my 5th year of Kinesiology and Health Science Bachelor of Science in York University. I want to apply for Optometry in Canada and USA.
My GPA is not so high right now it is at 2.75/4 and I still have a few courses that I need to take before I can apply for optometry which are the prerequisites which can bring my GPA up. I am just wondering if you think I have a chance in getting admitted. I have done much better in the last 3 years than I have done the first 2 years and that is why my GPA is low. I think my GPA for the last 3 years is about 3.2/4.
What would you guys recommend? Should I continue with my Bachelor's degree? Should I do the OAT test and then if my marks are good take the prerequisite courses and apply? or should I start a new bachelors degree to get a better GPA ? Although I have heard that they will look at both GPAs when you send your application. I also am wondering what are some extra curricular activities that you would recommend me to do to make my application stronger? I am doing research in a lab and I have done volunteering in two different labs. I also have been working for the past two years as a academic advisor in a library at the university for international students. I really appreciate your help? sorry for so many questions. I am open to all and every feedback I can get. Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Take your OAT's and apply! There's not point in starting a new bachelor's degree and wasting time! If you do well on the OAT's that will make you a well rounded candidate. Plus schools look at more than just GPA's

Take your OAT's and apply! There's not point in starting a new bachelor's degree and wasting time! If you do well on the OAT's that will make you a well rounded candidate. Plus schools look at more than just GPA's
What is a good OAT test that would kinda cover the fact that my GPA is low?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean for this cycle class of 2020? If so apply ASAP because most deadlines are passed or coming up.

I think it's past the last day you can take the OAT and still have it count for this cycle, so I could be wrong. Apply next year! your gpa is low but it helps that it's been improving. a good OAT (like 340+ AA/TS) would help a lot to make up for your low GPA.

next most important thing to do is shadow. Shadow lots of optometrists, ask questions, record when and where and how long each shadowing session was so you can put it on the application. research is a plus but not vital to an optometry application. Shadowing is, since schools want to make sure you know what you're getting into.