help me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abdu716

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

I'm medical student from middle east looking for summer clinical training in USA or Canada

can any one please help me to find university or hospital that offer that

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You've posted the exact same comment in the "Clinical Rotations", "Canada", "General International Discussion" and here. Are you posting in the EM forums because you're interested in EM? Or are you just shotgunning across all the forums randomly?

If you are indeed interested in EM, please let us know what you are specifically interested in doing (an away elective for a month in the emergency dept? A research elective? What?) Also, where are you coming from, how far along are you in your medical training, and do you already have any necessary visas?

Once you get all of this (and I'm sure there's more) relevant information together, I suspect people will be willing to help. As it stands right now, noone knows what you want and you just appear to be spamming the boards.

sorry for that

but really I need information not just shotgunning

(an away elective for a month in the emergency dept? A research elective? What?) Also, where are you coming from, how far along are you in your medical training, and do you already have any necessary visas?

yes elective in ER , coming from Saudi Arabia , No I don't have a visa

Got it. I answered this question in a different thread previously, so I'm copying and pasting my answer from there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will likely need to apply through VSAS. That's the Visiting Student Application Service. Most institutions in the US use this system to apply to away electives. There are a few exceptions where the institution will have their own custom application but these are generally the more selective hospitals e.g. Harvard. In fairness, I doubt that the more selective programs which aren't on VSAS will accept foreign applicants anyway.
Looking at VSAS now, there are several EM programs which take international students.

University of cincinnati
Wake forest
Florida hospital - orlando
Akron Childrens
University of new mexico
University of Rochester
Michigan State U
Maricopa integrated health
George washington U
SUNY downstate

I'd guess that there are more beyond that, but I don't know for sure. It is hard for international students to get into US programs though. I've done EM rotations at 3 different hospitals. At two of them there were international students, however, they were all observers and were not allowed to see patients in the role of an intern, so I don't really know that I'd call that an "elective" so much as "prolonged shadowing time."

EDIT: the two places that I worked at where there were international observers were NOT on the list I posted above. In other words, I'm guessing the list above actually will let you do an elective, whereas hospitals not on the list might let you stand around and watch.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have any information for you about electives in Canada.

And to reiterate what I wrote in that previous post, the list above only includes programs which are on VSAS and accept intl applicants. My suggestion for finding out (besides internet sleuthing) would be to ask your dean.

I would also suggest looking at the thread I originally posted in as there was some information about other programs (the EEC) listed there. Here's the link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/foreign-medical-students-and-emergency-medicine-electives.1035542/

Bon chance.