HELP - my state school cancelled early decision!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amit1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only want to go to my state school (University if Oklahoma) and I was just informed that next year they will be cancelling early decision. They usually don't even grant normal interviews until late december. What now??? This messes up all my plans - now I will be applying to a whole bunch of schools.

PS - How come I never hear anything about OU on this site? I guess mostly top tier schools are discussed here???

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Amit1
PS - How come I never hear anything about OU on this site? I guess mostly top tier schools are discussed here???

It's probably because they don't have computers in OK yet. Haha. Actually there is a lot of discussion of lower tiered schools. Not muck on OU, though.

I agree that it is a bummer that they are getting rid of early acceptance. Applying is a major emotional, time consuming pain. Though there are advantages, there are also many disadvantages to applying EDP. So my advice is to look at the positives:

1. You will have some choices

2. If you don't get into OU, you will not be at a severe disadvantage when you apply elsewhere.

3. You might have the opportunity to leave OK. I mean this as a joke, but seriously, there is much to see and experience in the US.

Good luck to you.

Apparently nobody really used the EDP here. Since there is only one MD school here in Oklahoma it can get a little competitive to get in. I really wanted to go to OU mainly because I like what they are doing with the med school and in-state tuition would save a ton of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to OU, but they only gave me 6 days to turn in my secondary, so I didn't make the time schedule. I was kind of bummed, I grew up in Tulsa and I'd have loved to go live closer to family. Actually OU is the only school where I've officially gotten a rejection. At least they're nice enough than to stick me in limbo forever.

Apparently nobody really used the EDP here. Since there is only one MD school here in Oklahoma it can get a little competitive to get in. I really wanted to go to OU mainly because I like what they are doing with the med school and in-state tuition would save a ton of money.

I don't blame you for wanting to save the money. It is the chief reason that I am interested in my state school.

Regarding the EDPers here on SDN. Overall there are few people who apply this way. Most of us here are looking for advice, moral support, etc. Those who have been accepted EDP, no longer need much of either, since they know where they are going next year. I think that they disappear after being accepted.

OU will usually get back to you within two weeks and let you know if you are accepted/rejected/waitlisted after the interview. That is cool on their part.

I will be majorly disappointed if I don't get in at OU. I really want to stay instate.

Although I have decent stats 3.7GPA, Resident Advisor, EC's, leadership, clinical and research experience (no MCAT yet - but I will probably score 30 +/- 1) I don't feel I really have a great shot at any MD schools elsewhere.

OU will usually get back to you within two weeks and let you know if you are accepted/rejected/waitlisted after the interview. That is cool on their part.

I will be majorly disappointed if I don't get in at OU. I really want to stay instate.

Although I have decent stats 3.7GPA, Resident Advisor, EC's, leadership, clinical and research experience (no MCAT yet - but I will probably score 30 +/- 1) I don't feel I really have a great shot at any MD schools elsewhere.

:confused:

trust me, you have a shot at many other MD schools, don't sell yourself short!

Originally posted by JBJ
It's probably because they don't have computers in OK yet. Haha. Actually there is a lot of discussion of lower tiered schools. Not muck on OU, though.

I agree that it is a bummer that they are getting rid of early acceptance. Applying is a major emotional, time consuming pain. Though there are advantages, there are also many disadvantages to applying EDP. So my advice is to look at the positives:

1. You will have some choices

2. If you don't get into OU, you will not be at a severe disadvantage when you apply elsewhere.

3. You might have the opportunity to leave OK. I mean this as a joke, but seriously, there is much to see and experience in the US.

Good luck to you.

Dont ever f*@#in hate on the Sooner state. Oklahoma is my home so i just have to stand up for it. St. Louis aint much :rolleyes: What medical school can offer you STOOPS and SOONER FOOTBALL? OU Baby! Ill be applying to OU med school in a couple years, but i wasnt really planing on going EDP, but it does blow that option isnt open now. good luck, BOOMER SOONER!!!!

Well, I go to OU and absolutely LOVE it AND I don't feel like I sold myself short at all! I mean, we study the same textbooks every other medical school has....

At any rate, I hadn't heard about the EDP getting cancelled..that's too bad. I guess I've been too busy studying! ;)