Help Narrow down School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue87Fiero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to narrow down my list to around 10 schools. If there is schools that you think I should add or Remove please comment. here is my stats

Michigan resident
DAT 20 AA /20 PAT / 21 TS
GPA-Total about 3.6ish
Science about 3.6ish
Shadowing-around 50 by the time apply
Volunteer- around 100 by the time apply. This is mostly at the High school I graduated from for the athletic boosters
Work- 25-35 hrs a week
NO research

The list
Arizona- Midwestern
California- Western University
Florida- NOVA
Florida-LECOM
Kentucky-Univ. Louisville
Michigan- Detroit
Michigan- U of M
Ohio- Case Western
Ohio-Ohio State
Virginia-Virgina Comm Wealth .
Wisconsin-Marquette
Nebraska-Creighton
Massachusetts-Boston College
Massachusetts-Tufts
Minnesotta-U of M
New York-New York
New York-Buffalo

These selections are mostly based on out of state acceptance, location, GPA, and DAT scores.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would cross UNC, Nova, and ASDOH off your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
ASDOH - Need a background of volunteering / public health awareness
UNC - Selective for out of staters
Nova - Receive the most apps of pretty much any dental school, it's like a lottery to get in.

Also, WVU accepts almost no one from out of state. Cross that off your list.

Cool I will probably leave NOVA (I like to gamble) but thanks for the info on the other schools. I am just going through the ADEA book and looking basicaly at location cost and out of state acceptance %. WVU OOS acceptance was 19% but I overlooked the super small class size only 13 people out of 1131 got accepted for out of state

Any schools you would add?

Any reason you chose UK over Louisville? I thought Louisville was more out of state friendly.

Creighton might be a good one to substitute for the schools that have been suggested to be crossed out. They offer 70-80 out of state seats.

Any reason you chose UK over Louisville? I thought Louisville was more out of state friendly.

Thank you I don't no how I missed that I think I ment to put Louisville :rolleyes: but I don't know I have looked at so many schools now they all blur together

Look at university if the pacific or uminn.

If you apply to Creighton, make sure you fill out the secondary immediately.

I wouldn't apply to lecom, there are many better choices.

vcu and marquette are kinda like lotteries as well for oos (awesome.schools though I interviewed at both).

Last edited:
the school list looks fine at this point, but you need to focus on your shadowing and volunteering at this point. many schools want to see at least 100 hours of shadowing and a variety of volunteer work done in college. i've heard several admissions people say the only possible thing that you could count from high school is being an eagle scout.

the school list looks fine at this point, but you need to focus on your shadowing and volunteering at this point. many schools want to see at least 100 hours of shadowing and a variety of volunteer work done in college. i've heard several admissions people say the only possible thing that you could count from high school is being an eagle scout.

The volunteer work was done when I was in College. I commute to my university and I have stayed involved with the athletic boosters from when I played football/basketball. I volunteer for concessions, parking cars, and setting things up. I have also done give kids a smile at my dentist office for the past couple years. If I counted high-school volunteer hours I would probably be at 250 or more. What schools want 100 hours of shadowing?.... that seems a bit excessive to me.

If you are worried about getting in you could add Tufts, BC, and temple or NYU. Like someone mentioned NOVA is a lottery and LECOM sucks but its always a good idea to have safe schools. Several. I applied to all the ones I just listed with similar stats but way more of the EC stuff and did not get anything from any of them.

Also a serious school you could add is Buffalo. Descent amount of out of state and not a bad school. You are use to the cold.