Help Narrow my Application List for PsyDs and PhDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychcurious18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The PsyD's I'm looking into are:

GW
U of Denver
Yeshiva
Rutgers or Baylor (I want to limit to one super reaching school)
The Wright Institute
Indiana U of Pennsylvania
NSU (Nova Southeastern)

If you know of any other top/very good PsyD programs please list!

I have a 3.78 and 309 combined GRE, 3 research labs in undergrad experience and clinical experience. I'm looking to limit my list to around 5 PsyD schools and 3-4 PhD programs but don't know how to eliminate. I don't really have a good idea of the reputation of The Wright Institute or Indiana U of Penn.

For PhD's (in counseling psych):
Maryland (college park)
Columbia
UF
Boston College
U of Wisconsin
Loyola Chicago
U of Buffalo
New Mexico State
The Virginia Consortium

I'm aware that my GRE's make me less competitive. Are there any PhD's here that are a 100% obvious waste of time because of GREs that I shouldn't bother researching further? Any comments on particular favorites or great choices to apply to?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It would likely be helpful for folks if you briefly listed your academic/clinical interests. The Ph.D. programs you've chosen all look solid to me, at least based on my knowledge of their clinical programs, and I'd imagine the same holds true for counseling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, at least in the past few years, the quality difference I saw in apps from Nova between PhD and PsyD for the neuro track was pretty stark. I'd stay away from the Psyd there. Plus tuition is crazy expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
It would likely be helpful for folks if you briefly listed your academic/clinical interests. The Ph.D. programs you've chosen all look solid to me, at least based on my knowledge of their clinical programs, and I'd imagine the same holds true for counseling.
those are good programs but yes, depends on interests of the OP.

I'd check the tuition rates for yeshiva and denver. I can't remember exactly how much they were but I'm pretty sure it's ridiculously high, even compared to other psyDs

I am not dead set on any one type of research at this point but I do have interests in research focusing on homophobia biases/sexuality and gender stigma as well as mindfulness practices.

I read an article in May stating that Yeshiva U. was running out of money? And I think they have poor match rates with high, high, high tuition. I was interested in their Ph.D. program for a while due to a professor studying mindfulness, but the price and match rates just aren't worth it.

I would consider Argosy. I know it doesn't have "the best" reputation, but I have been at externship sites with other Argosy sites and have been impressed. Also, while GW is primarily psychodynamic, Argosy students (at least the ones in DC) receive training in a variety of theoretical orientations. Also, for internship they have Argosy only sites so they have higher match rates.

I would consider Argosy. I know it doesn't have "the best" reputation, but I have been at externship sites with other Argosy sites and have been impressed. Also, while GW is primarily psychodynamic, Argosy students (at least the ones in DC) receive training in a variety of theoretical orientations. Also, for internship they have Argosy only sites so they have higher match rates.

So, you ignore large N data based on a handful of first hand experiences? Am I understanding correctly?

I also went to school in the DC area... and my experience is the total opposite. Most externship sites didn't consider argosy students, since there are so many better schools around. The ones I did train with were less than impressive and didn't have great things to say about their program... one didn't tell people she went to argosy, instead saying "the american school of professional psychology." And yes, they do have a captive internship consortium, but it is not accredited and has waaaaay fewer places than they have students, so it's not guaranteed that anyone will get a spot there.

I wouldn't recommend argosy, there are way better options for qualified students.

Members don't see this ad :)

nm

So, you ignore large N data based on a handful of first hand experiences? Am I understanding correctly?

I'm not saying Argosy is amazing, but I am saying that I know students AND professionals who went through Argosy and are doing quite well. I know that when I applied to graduate schools I did not even consider Argosy, but now that I am about to graduate from my school, I do recognize that the school has some strengths. Also during internship application process they receive a lot of support and help from their program (help with cover letters, essay topics) I have not received the same level of support from my program. I do think that a student who is extremely bright and motivated can have a great future whether they graduate from Argosy or from a different school.

I do think that a student who is extremely bright and motivated can have a great future whether they graduate from Argosy or from a different school.

My point was not so much, is it possible? It was more, based on available data, is this the modal outcome for these students?

I'm not saying Argosy is amazing, but I am saying that I know students AND professionals who went through Argosy and are doing quite well. I know that when I applied to graduate schools I did not even consider Argosy, but now that I am about to graduate from my school, I do recognize that the school has some strengths. Also during internship application process they receive a lot of support and help from their program (help with cover letters, essay topics) I have not received the same level of support from my program. I do think that a student who is extremely bright and motivated can have a great future whether they graduate from Argosy or from a different school.

My program provided a lot of support with internship applications. I see not offering that support as a failure of your program, not a perk only offered by Argosy.

I should add that I had to ask for that support, but that wasn't a big deal.

You know there are multiple ways to interpret that data. If they are providing a ton of support for internship applications and STILL only matching < 50% to APA...I see that as a pretty enormous negative. How poor must the program be if those are the best numbers they can achieve by providing a lot of support?

"Supportive" is also subjective. What does that mean? Your grad school experience prepares one for this experience (I would hope), and hopefully faculty are emotionally and functionally supportive of the application process (as well as throughout grad school). What more do we really need or expect?

Thank you for the info on Argosy. Are there any other really top/good programs for PsyD's that I didn't list? (doesn't necessarily have to be in the DC area)

According to the latest stats, Yeshiva has good match rates (89% for accredited internships in 2011-2014 for the PsyD; 90% for the PhD) but the tuition is very high, as is the cost of living in NYC. http://www.appic.org/Portals/0/downloads/APPIC_Match_Rates_2011-14_by_Univ.pdf

I would stay FAR away from Argosy/Alliant. The internship program I attended did not even consider applicants from those schools. I'm sure there are good students there, but why put yourself at any disadvantage in this already competitive market?

If you are going to spend the money on a PsyD, then go to a decent place that will set you up for a career in this field. I also recommend adding Widener to your list.

Since it looks like you're willing to go to Indiana since IUPUI is on your list, I would recommend giving Indiana State University a look. Very small cohort sizes (8-9), highly respected faculty members, and funding!! The school provides tuition waivers (typically 75%), guaranteed paid assistantships for your first two years, and a wide variety of paid practicum placements after that. Also, since you mentioned your research interests, one of the experimental faculty members at ISU is focused on gender and sexuality research. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Since it looks like you're willing to go to Indiana since IUPUI is on your list, I would recommend giving Indiana State University a look. Very small cohort sizes (8-9), highly respected faculty members, and funding!! The school provides tuition waivers (typically 75%), guaranteed paid assistantships for your first two years, and a wide variety of paid practicum placements after that. Also, since you mentioned your research interests, one of the experimental faculty members at ISU is focused on gender and sexuality research. Hope this helps!

I know a few folks who went to Indiana State, and they all seemed to enjoy it; they also happen to be great psychologists.