help needed: what should i do after being being dismissed from pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanihana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I really need some advices.

To be frank, I was a good student, however during my 3rd year in school, I got some personal problems and got Ds for four of my classes. Even though my GPA is 3.1, I got dismissed from pharm school.

I tried to petition to the school committee and then to the dean, but nothing helps. They insisted this is their policy. The more I fight to stay in the school, the firmer their decision.

Honestly, I really want to complete the studies since I am not as young as you folks. I talked to some people about transfering to another pharm school, but they said i would need a "letter of good standing" from the dean which I don't think it's possible to get.

Does anyone know anyone suffering from similar situation? Can they do a transfer or you just re-apply? If they can transfer, how? I really need some help to get back to school.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know I would have said it the same way Caverject did, but I'd keep working on it - definitely.

Start back with when your issues began. Did you go to someone in the school at that time? What did they tell you to do? Did you do that? If so, then you can demonstrate you sought assistance & followed through on the expectations given you. That means you can then go back to that original person and now ask advice on what methods or means are in yours, that individuals or anyone's power to help you get back into school.

You may need to agree to retake a year, fall back a year, do some other remedial work. If your issues were of a mental health or physical health nature, they may want periodic health updates to be sure you're still emotionally & physically capable to move forward.

By all means, be concilliatory & willing to do anything they ask of you. This is not the time to be angry or burn bridges. Yes, you need a letter of good standing and a really, really good reason to transfer. This is not one of those really good reasons.

Good luck & find a mentor within the school who will work as an advocate for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get medical excuse from a psychiatrist.

You can always try reapplying in a a year or two. Its not unheard of for the original school to let them back in, but you REALLLY need to bust it that time around, because their tolerance for you will be ziltch.

Also check with your professors that gave you the D's. See if they can get it up somehow.

.....yet another example of academia being bull****. Fight the good fight. More than likely it boils down to a group of idiots that have nothing better to do than stir up trouble.

Hmmm I have a similar story. I was dismissed by 2 pharmacy schools! The first one was USC for having a GPA below a 3.0 after 2 years I applied again to other schools and they said I had to start as a first year. Which wasnt a problem got a 4.0 but was dismissed again because I was hospitalized for mental problems. Contacted the second school, Midwestern Glendale AZ and they told me I wouldnt have to repeat just apply again. So dont give up. Also met with UCSF and they allow trasfers under medical conditions so thats always an option as well. Oh and I hired a lawyer for the USC incident and since I passed all classes there isnt anything that requires a 3.0 so I am taking them to court. They already want to settle out of court but I dont know what I will do.

Hmmm I have a similar story. I was dismissed by 2 pharmacy schools! The first one was USC for having a GPA below a 3.0 after 2 years I applied again to other schools and they said I had to start as a first year. Which wasnt a problem got a 4.0 but was dismissed again because I was hospitalized for mental problems. Contacted the second school, Midwestern Glendale AZ and they told me I wouldnt have to repeat just apply again. So dont give up. Also met with UCSF and they allow trasfers under medical conditions so thats always an option as well. Oh and I hired a lawyer for the USC incident and since I passed all classes there isnt anything that requires a 3.0 so I am taking them to court. They already want to settle out of court but I dont know what I will do.

:eek:whoa, good luck on that....
hopefully the OP is in a better place since s/he was in the bind two years ago...

The first one was USC for having a GPA below a 3.0 after 2 years I applied again to other schools and they said I had to start as a first year.

The GPA requirement is pure BS. The system was supposed to be graded like graduated schools (not professional) but in graduate classes, 2/3 of the class get As and the rest get Bs since a C grade is considered a failed grade in grad school. But at USC, plenty of students get C. There is more to school than just grades like work experiences but with the current system, many students are terrified of getting a C.

The system screwed you over so keep up the good fight and don't settle.