Help Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nearby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into a BS/MD program for a pretty good instate medical school. My main goal is to be a Dermatologist. What should I be focusing on to get an edge in residency applications. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds urgent. The title should have been HELP NEEDED! URGENT!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I got into a BS/MD program for a pretty good instate medical school. My main goal is to be a Dermatologist. What should I be focusing on to get an edge in residency applications. Thanks.

If you are referring to getting into BS/MD, then I'm assuming you're in high school. Nothing you do in college will really matter for matching from what I understand. Just have fun and probably do some research as derm is a pretty academic field from what I've read on here. Other than that, the meat of what will make or break your dermatology match will occur in medical school, so just chill til then.

Edit. PS: @DermViser will probably be in here to laugh at you shortly. He knows more about Derm than me and will likely tell you the same thing, but always good to have a more expert opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry for not making a great title, and this may not be urgent, but I am looking into the future and I wan't to make a good timeline. I've bought some MCAT prep books, which I will be perusing through this summer. I was also able to get a few step 1 books, so I can gain a general gist. Should I be reading some derm journals?

Shadowing a dermatologist will be the most logical first step in your case.

Good luck!

I've bought some MCAT prep books, which I will be perusing through this summer. I was also able to get a few step 1 books, so I can gain a general gist. Should I be reading some derm journals?
I hope you are kidding.

Reactions: 11 users
Sorry, I'm not. I've been researching the data, and honestly it is intimidating as it is a competitive specialty to get into. I'm just trying to focus on getting an early step. I'm trying to find a dermatologist to shadow, haven't had any luck yet, hopefully that will change when I start in college. I've started preparing for 2015 MCAT, by reading OChem in my brother's old textbook.

Sorry, I'm not. I've been researching the data, and honestly it is intimidating as it is a competitive specialty to get into. I'm just trying to focus on getting an early step. I'm trying to shadow a dermatologist, haven't had any luck yet.
It is important to acquire the skills necessary to succeed in each of the developmental stages in any long process. Being the best possible college student while expanding your experience as a member of society is your next step. Developing your understanding of physicians in society, communications skills (including languages of patients you are likely to care for), adaptability, social and interpersonal skills are what you need to do at this time.

Premature closure of your pluripotency will not improve your odds of success, rather it will reduce it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
BS/MD programs make you take the MCAT?

Dear adcoms, I have been accepted to high school and my goal is to become director of the NIH. Unfortunately I can't find any directors or chiefs of medicine to shadow. I have begun to prepare for R01 submission, but don't which grants are open to 17 year-olds. Please advise. Please, urgently.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry for not making a great title, and this may not be urgent, but I am looking into the future and I wan't to make a good timeline. I've bought some MCAT prep books, which I will be perusing through this summer. I was also able to get a few step 1 books, so I can gain a general gist. Should I be reading some derm journals?

I hope you're not serious. But just in case, here you go.

http://www.aad.org/education/medical-student-core-curriculum

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got into a BS/GF program for a pretty good instate cupidical school. My main goal is to lose my virginity. What should I be focusing on to get an edge in girlfriend applications. Thanks.
Enhance your repertoire of sponge-bob gifs, apply broadly, and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Make certain to meet the requirements for your guaranteed acceptance. There is nothing you can do now to prepare yourself to match into dermatology. Satiate your curiosity through shadowing, but don't mess with journals. I'll wager you don't have the education right now to understand any of the material, anyway. Have fun in school. If you are still in high school or a freshman, stop worrying about the MCAT. It could be another 3 years before you even start studying for it.

I was also able to get a few step 1 books, so I can gain a general gist.

:yeahright:

BS/MD programs make you take the MCAT?

Yeah, mine requires me to to take it my junior year of undergrad. I have to meet the national average for the new MCAT. Some have yearly GPA requirements as well.

Thanks for the advice.

It's not really a "free pass". They pretty much have to score at the median ~25. There are students every year in these programs who surprisingly fail to meet that minimum. Also, the requirements to get into these programs are very high, so it's already generally a very select group of high achieving students who enter these programs. The MCAT sucks, but it's really not that bad. You just have to put in the time.

It's not really a "free pass". They pretty much have to score at the median ~25. There are students every year in these programs who surprisingly fail to meet that minimum. Also, the requirements to get into these programs are very high, so it's already generally a very select group of high achieving students who enter these programs. The MCAT sucks, but it's really not that bad. You just have to put in the time.

I don't think you're in a position to tell others that it's not really that bad when you only have to get a 25.....:nono:

Why do they get a free pass?

Many of these programs are designed to encourage these future medical students to pursue other extracurricular activities rather than focus on the "clinical experience/shadowing/join premed clubs" formula, like student government, social activism, performance arts, sports, etc. which could increase the diversity of the incoming class. Theoretically, at least. Unfortunately, too many BS/MD students treat this as a "freebie" and get lazy to the point where they become sub-par students and risk losing their candidacy.

You don't need to be a stellar student to be a good doctor, though. The reason why numbers are so high for regular students is because the applicant pool is so competitive. But I highly doubt it takes a 32 on the MCAT for a person to be a good doctor.

Dear adcoms, I have been accepted to high school and my goal is to become director of the NIH. Unfortunately I can't find any directors or chiefs of medicine to shadow. I have begun to prepare for R01 submission, but don't which grants are open to 17 year-olds. Please advise. Please, urgently.

I hear this dude's pretty free and drinks bahama mama all day

ScrubTenMommas.jpg

I don't think you're in a position to tell others that it's not really that bad when you only have to get a 25.....:nono:

Edit - re-read my post and then you response. I never really stated or implied that it's not that bad when you only have to get a 25. :shrug:

Last edited:
Edit - re-read my post and then you response. I never really stated or implied that it's not that bad when you only have to get a 25. :shrug:

Lol, for some reason I thought you were the OP, who needed a 25-ish on the MCAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

NIH?! I was shooting for the NBA prior to HS and obviously that didn't work out.

Lol, for some reason I thought you were the OP, who needed a 25-ish on the MCAT.

I checked the requirement it is the national average mcat score of people who got into medical school that year, so I think 30 or 31. I've been doing the question of the day and exam crackers, and I may take a few practice tests online. However my mcat is 2015 so I'm most likely going to review psych/ and some biochem this summer.

Plus check OPs post about three up from this one. Holding these students to at least meet the national average for matriculants isn't necessarily a walk in the park. They still have to put in the time and effort, and know their own abilities so that they can adequately prepare.