USMLE Help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nazusa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I passed step 1 2009 at my 6 th attempts at that time there were no limit and its expired a month ago and wanted to retake. Since I. Have register for CK this month and passed CS already.
This is my scenario ' kindly anyone who have any information for exemption for step 1 passed ( either I will retake or they will extend for 2 months.
I actually email ECFMG and got this response copy paste:

"I am writing in response to your correspondence in which you ask for an exception to the number of attempts allowed at any United States Medical Licensing Examination, USMLE™

The announcement regarding a change in the number of attempts allowed at any USMLE Step was posted to the USMLE website in August 2011, and again in June 2012; the ECFMG also disseminated it widely. The announcement and repeated notification, well in advance of the actual implementation of the new rule, gave examinees adequate time to plan for its implementation.

The policy on attempt limits is a policy of the USMLE program. ECFMG, as one of the registration entities for the USMLE program, has no authority to grant an exception to this policy. The only exception to this policy identified by the Composite Committee involves state medical boards. The policy includes a provision to allow examinees who have six or more attempts at a Step or component to have an additional attempt if so requested by a state medical board that is fully informed of the individual’s prior examination history.

I trust this information has been of help to you.

Regards,

Kindly guide me I m so desperate .
I have so much work experience .

Members don't see this ad.

Well there are some states where there is no limit - I can think of NY and PA. Some states there are 10 years, and Arizona? I want to say no limits if you are licensed. With that said, it is worrisome that it takes 6 times to pass Step 1. Step 2CK is not easy, and step 3 I certainly found difficult. It will also be nearly impossible to find a residency with 6 attempts at step 1.

I passed step 1 2009 at my 6 th attempts at that time there were no limit and its expired a month ago and wanted to retake. Since I. Have register for CK this month and passed CS already.
This is my scenario ' kindly anyone who have any information for exemption for step 1 passed ( either I will retake or they will extend for 2 months.
I actually email ECFMG and got this response copy paste:

"I am writing in response to your correspondence in which you ask for an exception to the number of attempts allowed at any United States Medical Licensing Examination, USMLE™

The announcement regarding a change in the number of attempts allowed at any USMLE Step was posted to the USMLE website in August 2011, and again in June 2012; the ECFMG also disseminated it widely. The announcement and repeated notification, well in advance of the actual implementation of the new rule, gave examinees adequate time to plan for its implementation.

The policy on attempt limits is a policy of the USMLE program. ECFMG, as one of the registration entities for the USMLE program, has no authority to grant an exception to this policy. The only exception to this policy identified by the Composite Committee involves state medical boards. The policy includes a provision to allow examinees who have six or more attempts at a Step or component to have an additional attempt if so requested by a state medical board that is fully informed of the individual’s prior examination history.

I trust this information has been of help to you.

Regards,

Kindly guide me I m so desperate .
I have so much work experience .