HELP! Neuroticism Scale, Extraversion Scale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetiep384

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am an undergraduate currently working on my honors thesis. I am having a really hard time finding separate neuroticism and extraversion scales. Is there anyway to obtain these scales and their scoring rubrics for free (my funds are limited since there aren't too many grants out there supporting undergraduate work)

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

The ones most frequentely used in experimental work (NEO-PI and 16pf) are not free. I am sure there are as couple measures of extroversion that are in public domain, but they could be crap for all I know. But if you want a multifaceted scale, it will be hard to find one for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
I practically earned my M.A. studying extraversion and personality, so I can definitely help. :)

There are many different scales you can use. The NEO is the standard one used by Costa and McCrae that assess extraversion and neurotocism by actions (e.g., enjoys parties, worries a lot, etc.). Oliver John also has a scale (Big Five Inventory) that is similar. Another option is to reference Saucier and Goldberg's adjectives. There are two types, one is a bipolar scale (Goldberg, 1992) or a huge CFI adjective study (Saucier & Goldber, 1996), in which you can just pick the adjectives and make your own scale (how talkative are you in general?). So you have a few options...if you want articles specifically or would like me to e-mail you some articles to look over, just PM me and I'll be happy to help!