Help please! 3.92 GPA, 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Australopithecu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for looking.

I'm just finishing my MS degree and will have a GPA of 3.92 to help my undergraduate GPA of 3.49. I just received my MCAT scores and found to my dismay that I scored 8 points lower than my practice test average (37). I was quite sick when I took it.

Anyway, my package is this:

-White male in MI
-MS GPA: 3.92 Science/Cumulative
-Undergrad GPA: 3.39 Science, 3.49 Cumulative (Worked multiple jobs while in school to pay tuition = bad idea)
-MCAT: 29 (9/10/10)
-100+ hours of running anesthesia & arthroscopic equipment for research sheep surgeries.
-20 hours volunteering as an EKG tech, accumulating more as time continues.
-2 years tissue engineering research experience. Submitting a first-author paper in a a -couple months or so if all goes well.
-50 hours volunteering at a homeless shelter
-Good ECs: RA for 2 years, 1 month archaeology work in Jordan & Israel, Jazz band

I need advice. Do you recommend that I apply early this cycle with my low MCAT? Or retake it and apply in August? Or spend another year strengthening my application?

Much thanks for any advice! I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think with a 29 and that GPA you definitely have a shot with some lower tier schools, especially because your score is so balanced (the problem I'm having). Check their average MCATs. You'd actually be suprised how many have low end MCAT scores - especially state schools. Your ECs sound good to me. Best of luck. :)

I think with a 29 and that GPA you definitely have a shot with some lower tier schools, especially because your score is so balanced (the problem I'm having). Check their average MCATs. You'd actually be suprised how many have low end MCAT scores - especially state schools. Your ECs sound good to me. Best of luck. :)

Except the state schools with lower averages primarily or exclusively accept their instate students with these lower averages and require higher standards for out of state applicants and some don't accept oos at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm just finishing my MS degree and will have a GPA of 3.92 to help my undergraduate GPA of 3.49. I just received my MCAT scores and found to my dismay that I scored 8 points lower than my practice test average (37). I was quite sick when I took it.

-White male in MI
-Undergrad GPA: 3.39 Science, 3.49 Cumulative (Worked multiple jobs while in school to pay tuition = bad idea)
-100+ hours of running anesthesia & arthroscopic equipment for research sheep surgeries.
-2 years tissue engineering research experience. Submitting a first-author paper in a a -couple months or so if all goes well.
-Good ECs: RA for 2 years, 1 month archaeology work in Jordan & Israel, Jazz band

I need advice. Do you recommend that I apply early this cycle with my low MCAT? Or retake it and apply in August? Or spend another year strengthening my application?

If I were you I personally would retake the mcat and spend take another year off. This is because if you were sick during your mcat and were scoring much higher you should for sure retake it. But there are going to be changes to the mcat in upcoming years you should research. Applying late is one of the biggest mistakes you can make.

Another option could be to apply early and indicate on your app you are retaking the mcat. That you are taking the mcat in August. That way when your grades will still be varified timely and some schools may not even start looking at your app till later. I did not get too many interviews before August in the cycle. This is just an idea. I've never done it but thinks it's a valid possibility.

If you want to get into some middle or top schools, you'd need to retake. If you do retake, you can still apply and your retake date will be listed on your application. Essentially you can go through the entire application process before your retake. You don't need your score to submit your app, so don't delay applying if you plan on retaking.

If you just want to get accepted, you can do that. Michigan has LOTS of schools: Wayne St, MSU MD and DO, CMU, WMU, Oakland (though private). Apply to all of those. Also, look at other out of state PRIVATE schools you'd be interest in that have lower MCAT averages.

Also, your clinical volunteering a bit short. Try pumping out a bunch of hours this summer and say that when you apply.

I think you're fine for any DO program, plus your state school (if any), and any low-mid tier MD school.

-White male in MI