Help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melina91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I went to a community college and transferred to UC Berkeley and got a degree in psychology. Right now I am in my fist semester of graduate school in MFT . I realized I want something more challenging. I wish I had considered PsyD school as well. I am thinking about dropping out and go for my PsyD. The cost is my real concern. If I get my PsyD, I would like to do assessment and testing. Does anyone have any information about this? How much money do they make? Is it worth that much debt?
Also, I was thinking of PGSP program. Is this a good program? I am scarred if I will not get in. My cumulative GPA is 3.6. Should I just get my MFT?
I dont like research do PhD programs are not for me. Im really confused, I dont know watch to do.
Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

The average salary for psychologist is 80k before taxes. In California, you will probably make a bit more. A PsyD or Ph.D from PGSP will put you in debt at least 250,000.

Psychological assessment/testing requires intricate knowledge and understanding of psychometrics/statistics and competencey in understanding related research on the topic.

Do people make more money from assessments though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Not necessarily, unless you do forensic work, which you will likely need to be boarded for. For that, make sure you go to one of the handful of reputable PsyD's. Also, assessment is very grounded in understanding the stats and research behind the tests. Getting quality internships and postdocs in npsych are very hard without a good research foundation, which is much more rare in the PsyD world outside of those handful of quality places.

Therapists in private practice

The CPT codes are reimbuised at a higher rate than the typical therapy hour, yes. Does this translate to the practitioner "making more?" Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on host of factors. Overhead is also higher for those who do assessment work, so that has to be taken into consideration too.

A good PsyD program will involve research, as well. Also as a practicing psychologist, whether doing primarily therapy or assessment or the variety of other things we can do, an in depth knowledge and understandin of research methodology is essential.

Reactions: 1 user