help pls!need advice quickly!switching programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rpre19

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Please I need your advice about applying to a program while still an intern in another (same specialty) & I figured the trusty psych forum would not let me down! thank you so much in advance!

Here is the scenario: (this is not for me so there is some info I am unaware of but I can give you the details as much as I know-believe me or not :p
the switchee is in the middle of SICU & only has a couple of days to make these decisions so I'm helping out while I sit on my butt on early maternity leave)

An intern wants out of their current, pretty malignant program & into another. The location is not that far from the first so moving is not too much of an excuse though it will allow her to live with her older parent that will need her income. Basically the reason is that she hates her program & feels she made a terrible mistake.

1. does she mention in the eras essay reasons for switching--being politically correct of course, or wait for hopefully an interview to explain? for those that dont know-you must divulge being in a residency in eras & which specialty, so they already know she's in one...

2. Should she mention her application to her program even though they have a reputation for making residents leave through "persuasion" & already being pretty malignant. (I do believe they are malignant from what I hear) or not risk the repercussions if she doesnt get an interview.

3. Should she mention having already had an interview with the program in her essay to say that she enjoyed the faculty & residents? Unfortunately she simply made a mistake in not ranking them first but clicked pretty well with them.or will that make them question why she didnt rank them??

um i think thats it. I anyone has any thoughts that I didnt come up with please give your 2 kind cents thanks so much! & send hopeful vibes uz the added bous is that my bestest friend wil come to my prgram & then we can hang out all day (not really but at least work together-not the reason for the switch though I'd like to think so...) oh dont know if it matters but the specialty is not psych; its EM but the programs here are very resident friendly & laid back & I get the feeling that going a little more personable with them might be the key--but I'm in the psych program & maybe dont have the right perspective...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: