Help! Potential re-applicant 2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n4229

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied in the 2016 cycle and received one interview and was placed on the alternate list at 1 MD school. I applied to one DO school and was accepted. I really don't mind attending a DO school, but for many reasons, did not end up liking the one I applied to. If I reapply next year, can I get into MD or DO?

GPA: 3.63
Sci GPA: 3.60
New MCAT: 507 (125 in CARS and Verbal; 128 in Bio; 129 in chem/physics)
Old MCAT: 25 (7 in VR; 10 in Bio; 8 in chem/physics)

Primary app submitted early August and verified by September; Secondaries were completed September/October

Ton of research experience
-3 years characterizing sulfate reducing bacteria at sediment-water interface in local reservoir
-Spent summer at a medical school in Baltimore working with cardiac stem cells
-clinical research in ER department
-currently doing clinical research since June 2015
-will be presenting at conference
-publication by November/December 2016 hopefully

Shadowing
200 hours shadowing MD/DO in pediatrics department

Community service
150+ hours doing both short term and long term projects

Leadership
Peer mentor leader (3 years), Peer mentor (3 years), Fund drive chair (1 yr),

Teaching
lab TA for a semester
Teaching internship at local high school

Schools
Albany Medical College
Boston University School of Medicine
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
Howard University
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the
University at Buffalo
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
New York Medical College
New York University
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Quinnipiac University SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
SUNY Upstate Medical University R
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
State University of New York Downstate Medical Cen
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
The Commonwealth Medical College
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Massachusetts Medical School

I have a lot more clinical research experience + publication + conference and will apply earlier..do I have a chance of getting into an MD school next cycle?

Thank you in advance for all your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Found your problem. You can remedy it by retaking.

Found your problem. You can remedy it by retaking.

Isn't that risky? I would have to work on raising verbal and psych

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, retaking for MCAT, for the third try, is quite risky. The first thing reapplicants need to do is have competent people to critically analyze your Primary (both EC and PS) and Secondaries. These should be people who do not know you well as this is how the adcoms will see you . An application needs to be a concise, coherent and compelling narrative showing your strong pattern of motivation, achievement, and commitment. As @LizzyM , the Grand Dame of SDN, has said, the application is to get you the interview. I would start there.

I would also hesitate at this late date to try cramming for an MCAT retake in hopes of blowing it away. For many reapplicants, waiting a cycle and improving such things as MCAT, is a much better strategy.

Yes, I had two people evaluate my application. I had put it together so quickly that they don't think it really highlighted my strengths. I have a DO acceptance to a school that I really don't think is a good fit for me (only applied to my local DO school). I am waitlisted at Rutgers. I really enjoyed the school so I'm hoping I get off the waitlist. In case I don't, I don't know whether I should re-apply to more DO schools and some MD (without taking MCAT again) or just matriculate this year.

Take the DO acceptance. Unless it's LECOM or Liberty, it would be a mistake not to.

Reactions: 1 user
Matriculate this year! You are borderline as evidenced by the "one interview, one waitlist" situation you find yourself in now. Take the acceptance and 4 years from now you'll be matching into a residency. Turn it down and there is no predicting what might happen in a new cycle.

I applied to one DO school and was accepted. I really don't mind attending a DO school, but for many reasons, did not end up liking the one I applied to. If I reapply next year, can I get into MD or DO?

based on the fact that your school list (in addition to it being incredibly heavy on reach schools), you do "minding attending a DO". You don't have a single DO school on your reapplicant list.

do yourself a favor. don't let your ego get ahead of your future. take NYIT and run. run fast.

Why is LECOM and Liberty a mistake?
supposedly because LECOM has a strict dress code and Liberty is too Jesuit-y. a medical degree is a medical degree. if those are your only acceptances, just take it.

supposedly because LECOM has a strict dress code and Liberty is too Jesuit-y. a medical degree is a medical degree. if those are your only acceptances, just take it.

Jesuit-y?? Liberty was founded by Jerry Falwell as Lynchburg Baptist College in the 1970s. It is far removed from the Jesuits (official name: Society of Jesus), an organization of Catholic priests engaged in education (they run schools around the world including four med schools in the US: Georgetown, St. Louis, Loyola and Creighton.)

How could I have forgotten Loyola?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Jesuit-y?? Liberty was founded by Jerry Falwell as Lynchburg Baptist College in the 1970s. It is far removed from the Jesuits (official name: Society of Jesus), an organization of Catholic priests engaged in education (they run schools around the world including three med schools in the US: Georgetown, St. Louis, and Creighton.)
And Loyola.

Jesuit-y?? Liberty was founded by Jerry Falwell as Lynchburg Baptist College in the 1970s. It is far removed from the Jesuits (official name: Society of Jesus), an organization of Catholic priests engaged in education (they run schools around the world including three med schools in the US: Georgetown, St. Louis, and Creighton.)

I have a friend who's a third year at SLU and when I asked him why he applied/matriculated he said "because it is a Jesuit school and I got in"