Help! Potentially starting prereqs ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BleedinBlue2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted on here a while back about going back into the medicine route after a year or two in consulting. However, I just got a call that my company was offering a bonus to push back my start date to January rather than this fall.
At first I was totally against taking the offer because I felt I would just be wasting time, but I am now thinking that the time could be used to my advantage if I were to take it. In order to apply to to medical school in the future, I would have to take Orgo II, Physics II, Biochemistry, and GenChem II. If there is any way that I could somehow take these classes in the time between now and when I would start work (in January/February) it might be worth it. In addition, I would be able to pay for classes with the bonus I would receive.
Any thoughts on how possible this might be? Would I be able to sign up for classes this late in the game? And would taking these four classes at once be a really bad idea, even if I am not doing anything other than studying?

If I don't end up taking the offer, I will be starting some time between September - November, which in itself is still a long time to wait around. But, it would allow me to get more experience at the job and figure out how I feel about it before taking the time for classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So you want to take these classes at once all in a period of a few months. If you goal is to get into med school then taking this kind of load is a gpa killer, especially since each class builds on previous knowledge and labs are also required, which Org 2 and Chem 2 lab at many schools is very labor intensive.

Gen Chem I & II is almost always required for Org 1, and Org 1 and sometimes Org 2 for Biochem. You have taken Org I but not GenChem II?

Are some of these retakes?

Most schools that I know of won't even allow such (unless you are doing retakes) but even if they did I would in no way recommend it!

So you want to take these classes at once all in a period of a few months. If you goal is to get into med school then taking this kind of load is a gpa killer, especially since each class builds on previous knowledge and labs are also required, which Org 2 and Chem 2 lab at many schools is very labor intensive.

Gen Chem I & II is almost always required for Org 1, and Org 1 and sometimes Org 2 for Biochem. You have taken Org I but not GenChem II?

Are some of these retakes?

Most schools that I know of won't even allow such (unless you are doing retakes) but even if they did I would in no way recommend it!

During undergrad, I took Orgo I, GenChemI, Physics I, and a couple of other bio prereqs before straying away from the pre-med track. So I was now thinking about taking these four other courses over the course of a summer session and a fall semester before starting my job. Would you say this is a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
During undergrad, I took Orgo I, GenChemI, Physics I, and a couple of other bio prereqs before straying away from the pre-med track. So I was now thinking about taking these four other courses over the course of a summer session and a fall semester before starting my job. Would you say this is a bad idea?

It's a really tough load, so is it worth the risk. Some schools seriously view Org and Physics II as weed out courses and treat the classes and labs as such. Some things to ask yourself: Did you make straight A's in the science courses you took? How long ago was it you took them? Are you really good at math? Do you have the time to devote 24/7 to the courses? Only you can speculate at how good of a student you are, but typically I'd advise against it. Any way to work and take like biochem in the evening?

Chem II summer, Org II and Physics II Fall and Biochem Spring? A much better load if possible.

You are going to struggle if you do not have your Ochem I down cold for Ochem II and Chem I down cold for Chem II. Each class builds off each other. Just like what DrMikeP said this is going to ruin your gpa...

Reactions: 1 user
That is rough. Maybe you could take GenChem II over the summer, Physics II and Biochem or Orgo II in the fall, and whichever one you didn't take (Biochem or Orgo II) in the Spring?

Is there a reason this has to get done this fall? Are you attempting to apply in 2017?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I posted on here a while back about going back into the medicine route after a year or two in consulting. However, I just got a call that my company was offering a bonus to push back my start date to January rather than this fall.
At first I was totally against taking the offer because I felt I would just be wasting time, but I am now thinking that the time could be used to my advantage if I were to take it. In order to apply to to medical school in the future, I would have to take Orgo II, Physics II, Biochemistry, and GenChem II. If there is any way that I could somehow take these classes in the time between now and when I would start work (in January/February) it might be worth it. In addition, I would be able to pay for classes with the bonus I would receive.
Any thoughts on how possible this might be? Would I be able to sign up for classes this late in the game? And would taking these four classes at once be a really bad idea, even if I am not doing anything other than studying?

If I don't end up taking the offer, I will be starting some time between September - November, which in itself is still a long time to wait around. But, it would allow me to get more experience at the job and figure out how I feel about it before taking the time for classes.

No matter how demanding it is, it will be easier than juggling coursework with starting a new job in a field that often requires long hours and travel. So my advice is to take the bonus and go for it.

If possible I would knock out two during two summer sessions and then the other two in the fall. Use your free time in the fall to rack up some ECs and other meaningful experiences. Good luck!