HELP-Pre-Med MD Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d0c2ur

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a first year psychology major at TCNJ and I want to become an MD. However, after a terrible first semester
I am fearing this might not happen. I currently have a 2.665 GPA and I plan on getting a much higher GPA next semester
to boost my cGPA. It is all because I got a D in my chemistry class. I plan on retaking this class again next year. To be honest, that first semester is nowhere near indicative of how well i can perform in the classroom. Can someone please tell me what my chances are. Also can all readers of this thread give me an idea of what kinds of ECs I should have to at least boost that side of my resume. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

At this point, your priority should be academic performance. All the ECs in the world can't make up for a 2.665 GPA. That said, get involved in some physical activity for at least 45 minutes per day. This is good for your physical and mental health and can be a legitimate EC if you engage in a club sport or work toward a goal such as participating in 5K races.

If you want a career that involves serving others, you should find a way to devote at least 4 hours/month in direct service to others through tutoring, home repair/building, food for the poor in soup kitchens or pantries, etc.

After you pull up your academics, you can think about expanding your extracurricular activities to include research (which may come naturally from your academics and even count for academic credit in your junior year), shadowing physicians and other health professionals, and volunteering or working in a health care setting that gives you face to face contact with the sick/injured/those seeking medical care.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, I am a first year psychology major at TCNJ and I want to become an MD. However, after a terrible first semester
I am fearing this might not happen. I currently have a 2.665 GPA and I plan on getting a much higher GPA next semester
to boost my cGPA. It is all because I got a D in my chemistry class. I plan on retaking this class again next year. To be honest, that first semester is nowhere near indicative of how well i can perform in the classroom. Can someone please tell me what my chances are. Also can all readers of this thread give me an idea of what kinds of ECs I should have to at least boost that side of my resume. Thank You.

#1 "Planning" to get a "much higher GPA" is completely meaningless. Everyone plans to do well in classes.
#2 DO schools will do grade replacement for retakes, MD schools will not for GPA calculation purposes.
#3 Most people improve their studying and thus their grades after their first semester. But, this is because they break down why they didn't do well and not just think, "I'm going to work harder!"
#4 Nobody has any idea what your "chances" of getting into medical school are at this point. I would treat anyone who says that they do with a very healthy dose of suspicion. You have one semester worth of grades, nothing else. Can you get into medical school after getting a D in Gen chem 1? Yes, absolutely. Does it make it a slightly more uphill battle? Yes.
#5 You are a Freshman. Stop thinking about your resume and what other people think of you. Be productive. Get involved in projects that you enjoy whether it be volunteering or research or whatever it is. Box checking is not going to help you.
#6 That having been said, your number one priority should be figuring out why you didn't do well in those classes. You need to learn how to study and learn. You will get no where if you can't figure that out. Gen chem 1 may be the hardest class you have taken so far, but it is a far cry from what orgo, biochem, physics etc are for most people.

Reactions: 3 users
I can't project your chances, but I've certainly seen applicants with a far worse beginning eventually become a viable med school candidate.

With straight As and an equal courseload, by the end of freshman year, you could have a 3.33. At the end of sophomore year, a 3.66. And there you go. I doubt your academic progress will be that sterling, but you have an additional year or two to get your GPA where it needs to be.