Help Regarding Army Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCode

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I found out from the army that I have not been selected to the PGY-1 pre-select position of my choice, but have been selected to a general transitional year.
It would be my wish to complete this transitional year and then pursue training in my specialty in the civilian world.
I was told by someone that I could do this by continuing with the civilian match for PGY-2 and then requesting deferrment for PGY-2 year once I match someplace in the civilian world (which I probably will do).
Does this sound accurate to anyone, and if so, what are the chances they'd grant it to me?
If anyone has any information I'd greatly appreciate the help.
Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if this will help, but I think your best bet would be to contact Janna Cox in the GME office at 1-877-MED-ARMY. I do know, however, that you cannot go through the NRMP match until you have received clearance from the military, because you are not able to fulfill your contractual obligation to attend residency training at the program where you match until you are actually granted a deferment. This was an issue with a girl at my school who dropped out of HPSP, but the Army somehow prevented her from going through the match and she was forced to scramble.

I too am in a similar situation and was just wondering...
what happens if one doesn't withdraw from the match and matches in a pgy-2 spot? Does that give you and leverage to request a deferrment for pgy-2 onward? or does the army somehow prevent you from matching?