Help School List- Low GPA High MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbarilla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my school list. Graduated from University Of Miami with a bachelors of science in biology with chemistry minor and bachelors of art in criminology with English minor in December 2011. I am a NY Resident. First 2 years were 32 credits earned with 1.7 gpa. Started over last 3 years did 117 credits with a 3.8. Amcas overall is 3.23, science is 3.2. Mcat 35R 14/10/11. I know upward trend will only help so much. Good LORs and pretty good ECs including 400 hours clinical volunteering, tutoring, 70 hours shadowing, clubs, etc but no research :(

Here is school list

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Chicago Medical School-Rosalind Franklin
Cooper- Rowan University
Drexel
Frank Netter- Quinnipiac University
George Washington
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
Jefferson Medical College
New York Medical College
Ohio State
Saint Louis University
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Stonybrook
Temple
The Commonwealth Medical College
Tufts
Tulane
UBuffalo- Suny
University of Miami- *Undergrad Institution*
Rochester
University of Vermont
VCU
Wake Forest

What do you think? Wanted a few reaches. Want to stay close to east coast. Preferably near home in Northeast. Parents are older and want to be relatively close. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Is something wrong with it? I feel these are my best chances based on OOS and gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is my school list. Graduated from University Of Miami with a bachelors of science in biology with chemistry minor and bachelors of art in criminology with English minor in December 2011. I am a NY Resident. First 2 years were 32 credits earned with 1.7 gpa. Started over last 3 years did 117 credits with a 3.8. Amcas overall is 3.23, science is 3.2. Mcat 35R 14/10/11. I know upward trend will only help so much. Good LORs and pretty good ECs including 400 hours clinical volunteering, tutoring, 70 hours shadowing, clubs, etc but no research :(

Here is school list

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Chicago Medical School-Rosalind Franklin
Cooper- Rowan University
Drexel
Frank Netter- Quinnipiac University
George Washington
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
Jefferson Medical College
New York Medical College
Ohio State
Saint Louis University
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Stonybrook
Temple
The Commonwealth Medical College
Tufts
Tulane
UBuffalo- Suny
University of Miami- *Undergrad Institution*
Rochester
University of Vermont
VCU
Wake Forest

What do you think? Wanted a few reaches. Want to stay close to east coast. Preferably near home in Northeast. Parents are older and want to be relatively close. Thank you

I think OSU would be a waste of money.

the other schools are fine except for Mt. Sinai.

that gpa is really going to hurt you, I think.

Hopefully the trend and amount of upper level science courses will help. My upward trend is over the course of 117 credits which is pretty much a full undergrad career. And I did those 117 in 3 years. Hopefully big courseloads will help as well.

Perhaps you have a story behind the poor GPA? (personal or family illness, depression, etc..). In either case I would address it in your PS and talk about the growth that you have experienced since then. I think you are a good candidate for D.O. schools and perhaps some of the lower tier MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I did have family issues and fathers sickness but I am not one to make excuses. I did poorly. I made necessary changes and never got less than a B since. I want to be a man and address that I wasn't handling school right, I grew and matured and am a different person than my early record reflects

the other schools are fine except for Mt. Sinai.

that gpa is really going to hurt you, I think.

i don't think it's unreasonable to throw in a few reaches, for anyone. if anything the op can add a few more reaches. ditch high-app volume schools like tufts though

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to stay in the East Coast? I see all these schools that are so far away.

Is UNC Chapel Hill, U Maryland out of reach?

Why Tulane?

OP with your upward trend of 3.8 for 3 years (117 credits) feel free to apply to the reach schools too. Don't let anyone tell you that you don't have a shot especially with such a decent MCAT score. I would apply to 5 more schools.

It's better to play it safe than save a couple bucks and be sorry.

Apply to:-
1) EVMS
2) Rosalind Franklin
3) Rush
4) USUHS (If you want to go military route, be close to DC and have free education, must contact armed forces rep first though).
5) Virginia Tech (They love high MCAT scores).

Last edited:
OP with your upward trend of 3.8 for 3 years (117 credits) feel free to apply to the reach schools too. Don't let anyone tell you that you don't have a shot especially with such a decent MCAT score. I would apply to 5 more schools.

It's better to play it safe than save a couple bucks and be sorry.

Apply to:-
1) EVMS
2) Rosalind Franklin
3) Rush
4) USUHS (If you want to go military route, be close to DC and have free education, must contact armed forces rep first though).
5) Virginia Tech (They love high MCAT scores).

USUHS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniformed_Services_University_of_the_Health_Sciences sounds good. I just find it scary cos of the 6year military reserve status after residency :scared:

EVMS sounds awesome!

I tried to apply to schools that are 50k and less a year. I am nervous I will get in and not be able to attend for financial reasons. I really hope this upward trend helps and I hope my immaturity in beginning doesn't ruin my chances

I tried to apply to schools that are 50k and less a year. I am nervous I will get in and not be able to attend for financial reasons. I really hope this upward trend helps and I hope my immaturity in beginning doesn't ruin my chances

It's still better to apply to 50-70k schools because in my opinion being a doctor with 300k loan is still better than not being a doctor with 0 loans.

I know this whole process is a crap shoot but hopefully it works out

Anyone recommend any changes?

I am in the same boat as you. I have a 3.2 sGPA AND cGPA. My last 100 hours are a 3.96, I just really screwed up in the beginning. I really hope the upward trend helps. I didn't really mention it in my personal statement. Someone I know that is on the admissions board at UTMB told me not to really address grade issues because it may seem like you are judging yourself. He said let the reader do that. Basically, if they have questions they'll get you in for an interview and ask you.