help this nontrad lady

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSLADY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I m a 23 yr old black female from Mississippi. I was in college, majoring in what I was not interested in because I was always discouraged from becoming anything outside of the box. I didn't want to keep wasting my college fund so I took a break and worked as a cna. After some considerable time to figure things out I know I want to pursue my ambition of becoming a doctor. I don't have kids, but I am engaged. I have various concerns,but I am determined to see this through. Any tips, stories,comments,ect?

Members don't see this ad.

There are lots of threads with stories on this forum... browse around. And welcome!

Just remember: to thine ownself be true. :)

Megboo said:
HEY!

What part of MS are you in? I used to live in Mobile and spent a lot of time in Southern MS :). You are a little younger than me (I'm 28) but I'm also engaged and pursuing the pre-med studies. Since you were a CNA, you definitely know what medicine is like. Sounds like you are on the right track - does your fiance support you?

What are your specific concerns? I might be able to give you better advice :)

I'm from Shubuta,MS(u may have never heard of it, it's by Meridian). My fiance is supportive, but not enthused by the idea it seems. You know he is saying all the right things but I don't know if his heart is there. I think it's more of the fact that he hasn't seen many black female doctors, and that is where my first issue discouragement is. I can handle ignorance, but will it be more difficult to get in a med school? I think I will be a double minority.I wasn't planning on trying at any predominatly black schools because I feel that I will work with people of various races and backgrounds so why study with only one ? Also I have to start from the beginning with the prereqs and I am feeling very old. I also was reading about different paths to take. Which sciences, maths,ect are the most important? At my college they seem to want you to just take every science class they offer .I would appreciate whatever tips or advice you have to offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSLADY said:
Hey! I m a 23 yr old black female from Mississippi. I was in college, majoring in what I was not interested in because I was always discouraged from becoming anything outside of the box. I didn't want to keep wasting my college fund so I took a break and worked as a cna. After some considerable time to figure things out I know I want to pursue my ambition of becoming a doctor. I don't have kids, but I am engaged. I have various concerns,but I am determined to see this through. Any tips, stories,comments,ect?
The first step to being non-traditional is being non-traditional.
Should you ever interview, you'll notice that most students are 24 and younger, more than half are female and more than half of them are black.

Megboo said:
On the forums at www.oldpremeds.net is a lady named Mary Renard. Her picture looks to me ...

Just as an aside, Mary's picture on OPM is from the movie the Matrix (I can't remember what she liked about the character). I've met her at a previous conference and she's actually pretty pale. But definitely she gives EXCELLENT advice and I consider her a superb mentor.

Greetings and welcome:

You will in fact be at a distinct advantage, statistically speaking, being an under represented minority, and you should net work with as many people as possible who are succesful minority applicants for specific tips etc. Your biggest obstacles in my opinion will be in your pre-med classes, if you do well enough in them, then with some good information on the application process you will be in good shape. Focus on adequate preperation for pre-med classes and enough time to really study and do well in them especially if you have to work. Your second most important obstacle will be preparing yourself to do well enough on the MCAT to get in. If you can to those things and not limit yourself when applying to certain schools then you will be succesful. Best of luck to you!--Ben.

My husband is also not as enthusiastic as I'd like but I think this is a normal male response. He is holding back on the enthusiasm until I actually become a doctor. Until then he is sort of reserved.

Wanted to say even traditionally black med schools have something like 40% non-african american demographics. So, I don't think you should count them out altogether. Most traditionally white schools are like 90-95% white (well, a lot anyway), so there's not much diversity out there for the most part no matter what path you go.

Good luck!

It was really nice of you to post those links! Thanks, I took a look at them and got a lot of information. MSLADY, don't even worry about your age. Girl, I am 37 ok! The only time you are too old to do something is when you are dead :) Seriously though, I can understand about not being taught to think outside of the box. A lot of times we aren't taught to think that way and it's not always because people aren't trying to encourage. They just don't always know how. I know that my family always thought I was smart, but they never said hey, you should be a doctor. They just kind of expected me to figure out what was best.

I was the first in my family to go to college and had no idea what I was doing there. I did ok in school. I majored in Journalism and I was on my way to working in entertainment. I thought outside the box. I was trying to get into an industry that was like breaking into fort knox. I got in (thru an internship). Long story short, I ended up not going that pathway. I decided to pursue medicine. I had thought about this for years, but was afraid of what others would say. It took me a while to finish undergrad and here I am getting ready to go back.

You know what? Encourage yourself! Don't worry about the Fiance or anyone else. Do what is in your heart. Don't think outside the box, be outside the box. That's the only way to live this life. Do it on your own terms or you will never be happy. I had an experience that changed my life back in 2002. My cousin was abducted and we haven't found her yet. She went to a wedding and dance and never came home. She had a 2 year old little girl who she adored. I realized then that I only get one life and I'd rather try and live MY DREAMS than worry about what other people think I can and can't do. Go for it!!!

Megboo said:
On the forums at www.oldpremeds.net is a lady named Mary Renard. Her picture looks to me as if she is a black lady, and she is in her 40's (I think) and a recent med school grad. She is FULL of advice and great to talk to!

Medical school now are looking for diversity, so don't be worried about being black. If your grades and stats are competetive, you'll be in the running like everyone else! Don't feel old - I just finished my gen bio/chem sequences and have 2 more years to go - I'll be 32 when I enter med school (crossing fingers!).

As for most important courses, you'll definitely want to include your pre-reqs:

1 year gen chem w/lab
1 year gen bio w/lab
1 year physics w/lab
1 year organic chem w/lab
1 year math

Some schools also look favorably on biochem, genetics, A&P, etc.

I am lucky in that my fiance is very supportive, but I also remind him that if he sacrifices for me now, then I would be more than happy to have him retire after my residency :) He loves that idea!

But honestly, if this is something that you truly want, then your fiance should support your goals. He doesn't have to be gung-ho about it, but if he supports you and doesn't stand in your way, then that's great. It sounds like he's doing that now. If he's concerned because there aren't many black female doctors, let him know that there used to be very few women doctors at all, besides skin color!

I found a few websites for you to show your fiance, and to lift your spirits:

http://www.anes.uab.edu/jeffcodocs.htm
http://www.blackrefer.com/health4.html
http://www.gast-gazette.com/portal/asp/news/newsDisplay.asp?ID=576
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1077/is_2_58/ai_97729830
http://www.med.wayne.edu/Scribe/scribe01-02/fall01/s-african american physician honored.htm

Good luck, and remember to post if you have questions, thoughts, comments, etc.!

MSLADY said:

Hi there,
Welcome to the forum. Since you have worked as a CNA, you have a good idea of what working in the medical field involves. You also know that you enjoy working with people who are sick or challenged. It is all good.

You know that you will need to get through the Pre-med coursework. You can major in anything that you like but you need the Pre-med stuff for the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test). These courses are General Chemistry with lab, General Biology with lab, General Physics with lab and Organic Chemistry with lab. Some medical schools also require Calculus, Genetics, Biochemistry or Molecular Biology so you should consult a recent MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements available from AMCAS website) to look at the specific requirements of the schools that may interest you.

After you have completed your Pre-med coursework, you should make arrangements to take the MCAT. You need to prepare for this exam and plan on taking it only one time. There are thousands of ways to review for this exam and there are specific threads elsewhere on this website that address this exam specifically.

I can tell you from experience, that the MCAT is a different type of exam from your coursework exams. You need to do some solid prep and practice. The MCAT asks you to take the information from your Pre-Med courses and apply it to problems. Three areas are tested: Verbal Reasoning, Physical Science and Biological Sciences. There is also a writing sample which asks you to write an essay on an assigned topic. If you understand the testing principles and can apply knowledge to problem-solving, the MCAT becomes another step in your quest to become a physician. Avoid falling into the trap of thinking that the MCAT is anything other than another method of testing your mastery of your pre-med coursework.

After you have completed your coursework, degree and MCAT, you need to apply. You can apply to DO (Osteopathic) Medical schools and MD (Allopathic) Medical schools. DO = MD in 2005. There is virtually no difference and either school can prepare your to become a physician. One generally applies to medical school in the summer the year before you anticipate attending school.

I have briefly outlined the process. Whatever you have started in terms of degree can be completed in additon to your Pre-Med courses. It doesn't matter what you major in as long as you do well and have your coursework completed. (I was a double major in Biology and Chemistry with Math and Physics as my minors. I also hold a Ph.D in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in addition to my MD. I am currently a General Surgery resident who will do a fellowship in Vascular Surgery when I am done with my GS residency.)

If I can get through this process, you can get through this process. I am nothing special but I am a life-long learner. I love to learn and I love the challenges that medicine/surgery has brought to my life. Already you have taken the first steps in that you have identified your goals. Each day, take one little step towards your goal even if it is perusing this website. Do not let anyone take your dream. Do not let anyone question your dream. It is yours to pursue and turn into reality one small step at a time. Good luck and welcome to SDN.

njbmd :)

It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside reading this thread! What a bunch of supportive and kind people! :thumbup:

My two cents would be to do a lot of research on what you're getting into. Know the commitments you must take in going to med school. The process is long, difficult, and even tedious at times, but if med school is what you want, it will all be worth it.

BTW, you are not even close to being too old! ;)

Hey,
If you want to PM me that is fine. I know alot of people in your situation. We should chat. I will answer back to you.

Have a great day