Help: Trying to figure out best course before reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heymecalvy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So here's me:
3.39 cGPA, 3.14 sGPA, 29 MCAT 2nd try
3 years of research with publications, volunteering, shadowing, the usual

I applied to MD and mostly DO this cycle, got a DO interview, but didn't get in. They brought up my academic performance, and particularly a few very low grades.

I'm trying to figure out what my best course of action for this upcoming year should be. I really want to do a program for a masters in health informatics, as I think it's an upcoming field with huge potential that I can see myself fitting very well with. But I also think a traditional SMP would make me more competitive for reapplying to med school.

Should I go for the one that seems most interesting to me, gives me a useful degree, and can also prove I can handle upper level courses, but in a non-standard SMP way that may not prove anything to med school, or should I go for the one that is entirely just a means to an end and that if I do well in, I can get into med school but not give myself the opportunity to explore a potentially interesting field. Or do I apply to both and decide later?

Any thoughts welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

A masters in health informatics does nothing to help your chances at an MD program. Same goes for folks who want to do an MPH to address GPA deficits.

You need to show a powerful counterexample to "a few very low grades" that is relevant to med school. That means more hard science. You can do more undergrad, such as taking a few classes, or doing a 2nd bachelors. You could also do one of the 1-2 year masters programs that are offered at DO schools.

A 29 on the MCAT doesn't help, but I'd leave it alone vs. risking a 3rd take.

There's a reapplicant forum on SDN with more discussion.

Nobody's going to be able to tell you whether you'll be successful next time you apply. That's up to you and your future performance in producing the academic assets you're missing.

Best of luck to you.

I think the general advice you'll get from people here is that if you are strongly considering another career besides medicine, than you should pursue that career. You cannot be of two minds here, if you want to go med school, you need to do a "true" smp. However your mcat is going to be a problem for MD schools, especially since you've already retaken it. If you do end up deciding to go to med school, my advice is to apply broadly and realistically to DO schools.