HELP! Typo in Email to Prospective POI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The email server for my school changed my apostrophe to a question mark when emailing potential clinical advisers. Maybe this is silly, but I am freaking out. It did it in every single email because I always included a line after each personalized email saying something like "I am in Joe Smith's lab". So, now it reads "I am in Joe Smith?s lab."
Great, now I apparently don't know who I work for in undergrad.

Is it as bad as it seems?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing you noticed this when someone replied and you looked at your initial email and then spotted the change? If so, you're like me, and I'm a faculty member that gets these kinds of emails from potential applicants. My email does this all the time except the apostrophe becomes a superscript 1. Don't worry about it. Focus your energy on putting together the best application you can by the deadlines.

I'm guessing you noticed this when someone replied and you looked at your initial email and then spotted the change? If so, you're like me, and I'm a faculty member that gets these kinds of emails from potential applicants. My email does this all the time except the apostrophe becomes a superscript 1. Don't worry about it. Focus your energy on putting together the best application you can by the deadlines.

That's very reassuring, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're being hyper-neurotic (but remind me of myself as I was going through this whole process). Would you honestly want to work with someone for the next four years who got their pants in a bunch over something like that anyways?

Not a big deal.

If you wrote your cover letter/e-mail and borrowed liberally from "txt speech" and emoticons…that would be a different story. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes, I agree. Thanks for you feedback!

Many probably didn't notice and the rest probably assumed it was some sort of auto-correct issue as I have seen that happen before. Don't worry about it at all, as there is nothing you can do now. Just triple check your applications for errors.

When I was applying to grad school, I was so focused on spelling my POI's last name correctly that I forgot to change the name of the university in my copied and pasted email to the one she was at. She actually still responded, and I ended up interviewing at the program. You'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
I did almost the same thing when e-mailing a really important faculty member, and still ended up getting a reply. So don't sweat it, everything will turn out OK, I'm sure. It's hard though b/c the application process is so stressful. I can empathize with freaking out over these things! :)